Doug Weeter left the range today.

He will be remembered

I was at my five year old grandson's baseball game when Sunshine Weeter called to tell me about Doug a little after 6:30 pm. He was excited about going to the Crawfish this year, we had been talking about it since February or so, he was talking it up. I talked with Jim and he talked about how Doug was planning his trip down to Jacksonville. He will be missed and hard to replace - he made the scoring programs for all of Rimfire, but most importantly he believed in Rimfire and it's shooters.

Sunshine will be letting us know of the arrangements and I know they will be posted.
Bob Collins

Vietnam Marine Veteran, F4 Pilot – not many left who flew “the Brick” as he called it.

Last edited:
This news is a horrible shock to me. I have communicated with Doug dozens of times. I found his name associated with the programs that he wrote for rimfire and centerfire benchrest shooting on the web. He wrote a couple of programs that are tailored to our matches. He was so helpful and patient with me. I wish that I could have met him. If anyone could describe him for me I would sure appreciate it.

May you rest in peace Doug. You will always be remembered and thanked for all the work that you did for me.

Matt Dardas

Doug was always so very kind to me and IR50/50. The Rimfire Family will miss him. His family is in our prayers.

Wayne, Kay and Anna

Condolences

The Marines final Log Book entry made, his shooters journal closed, what will remain is his memory and dedication to our pastime. A rifle volley, Taps, and a Folded Flag his just reward. Rest in peace Sir. Prayers for his family.

Klayton

I'm shocked to hear this. I talked to Doug two days ago, he had sent me the latest version of the scoring program just in case he didn't make it to the Crawfish. He wanted to be sure that someone there would have it...
Rest in Peace, Doug. I will always remember our evening conversations while camping at Gateway.

Todd

Doug Weeter

I was truly shocked when I got the call. I just went back and counted 12 E-mails that we had sent back and forth in the last 2 weeks concerning the Crawfish Shoot. We arranged for his usual parking and camping spot, got his key to gate so he could come and go as needed, and now his spot will remain empty this year. We will miss him greatly and our thoughts and prayers go out to his family. May he rest in peace. Thumper

Our deepest condolences go out to Doug's family.. He was a great contributor to our rimfire games... May he Rest In Peace...

Dave & Pat Smith
Florida

Sad, that we loose the best. He was a great friend and we spent many emails together getting the ARA Scoring program fine tuned. He will be missed./ R.I.P Doug Weeter

DUG Lost

We will miss him at the Crawfish and the many other shoots that we attended together over the years.

John Spafford

Doug passed away in his sleep early Tuesday morning. He was a proud descendant of 1700’s Pennsylvania pioneer families. Doug was the son of Clifford and Jean Weeter and was born in Wilkinsburg, PA amid the massive open hearth steel plants along the Monongahela River valley as WWII raged.

Doug inherited family passions for outdoor sports, athletics, cooking and, above all else, aviation. Soon after he graduated from Waynesburg College in 1968 he enlisted in the USMC and, as a 2nd Lt., received his wings at Pensacola, FL. Doug piloted F4 Phantom jets on over 100 combat missions over the skies of Vietnam. Then, in 1974, he began an international career piloting some of the most sophisticated corporate jet aircrafts of the twentieth century. Included was over a decade as a Gulfstream pilot for members of the United Arab Emirate’s royal family.

http://foxandweeks.com/memorial/Douglas-Owen-Weeter/7010

After retiring from aviation he spent his spare time target shooting, reading and later in life started working part time at Toyota creating and updating spreadsheets and working with management to make duties more efficient. He enjoyed riding the golfcart around the neighborhood and being the “street patrol” with the family’s lab as his co-pilot.

Doug and Sunshine, of Reynoldsville, PA, were married in DuBois, PA in 1984. Doug and Sunshine raised their children, Cliff and Melissa, on tranquil Skidaway Island in The Landings community of Savannah surrounded by friends and neighbors.

Doug is survived by Sunshine, his wife of 34 years, his children Cliff and Melissa, his brother Bruce, brothers-in-law Ted and Gary, sisters-in-law Georgia, Elaine and Connie and nieces Debby, Kaaren, Stacy, Heather, Courtney, Katie, and nephews Shawn and Daryl.

A memorial service and celebration of Doug’s life will be held 11AM this Saturday, April 7, 2018 at Fox and Weeks Funeral Directors, Hodgson Chapel, 7200 Hodgson Memorial Drive, Savannah, Ga 31406. Memorial contributions can be made to the charity of one’s choice.

Doug did more for rimfire shooting than many would ever believe.

Rest in Peace my friend....

I haven't been on the site for a couple days and check to find this terrible news. Cherie and I always looked forward to our conversations with him. He will be missed. Our condolences to his family.

Ken & Cherie Henderson

Bye Doug

I too only check this site every 2-3 weeks since retiring from the sport and was shocked to read this news. I remember Doug fondly. He was one of the good guys for sure. I'm glad I met him and happy that I got the chance to shoot with him. So sorry to hear of his passing. My condolences to all who loved him.

Now I know a little bit about Doug who was so helpful to me. We talked once on the phone and communicated numerous times via email. What a remarkable man - he never even met me but he sure went out of his way to help me.

Again Doug, rest in peace my friend.

Matt

Back