dot reticle

B

bullzeye

have never used a dot reticle in a scope, only duplex.
when should i use one and how do they work?
what magnification do you recommend for 50 yard benchrest?
what make of scope is the most popular? leaning towards a zeiss. optics even
on the conquest are unreal. iam over 50 and a diabetic and am learning the
better the optics the better.

Optics

I am new to this sport and I am 66 years old. I looked at what others were using and ended up with a Weaver 36 power target scope with a 1/8th dot. When you are at a match, take a look through other's scopes and see what you can see clearly. Good shooting.

I am rather new to this sport and 76 years old. Have two BR scopes, a Weaver 36x without the dot, wish it had a dot, but I like the scope. Also have a Sightron 24x with dot and wish it was a 36x. This is typical of the type mistakes one makes when first getting in BR shooting without proper guidance.

Richard

I started with a fine crosshair in a Leupold 36x. Loved it, but as my eyes went down hill I decided I needed a dot and bought a Weaver 36x with dot. Much easier to find the dot. But if my eyes were good I would still prefer the fine crosshairs.

I am rather new to this sport and 76 years old. Have two BR scopes, a Weaver 36x without the dot, wish it had a dot, but I like the scope. Also have a Sightron 24x with dot and wish it was a 36x. This is typical of the type mistakes one makes when first getting in BR shooting without proper guidance.

Richard

Try one of Gene Davis's optical booster, worked a treat for my tired old eyes

http://www.bulzeyepro.com/optical-boosters.php

Weaver T-36

with 1/8" dot. Great optics, excellent tracking and a good price. I have two now.

weaver dot scope

any canadian members know where to get weaver target scope in canada.

Brian, ordered one of the 3X Boosters from Gene Davis and am very pleased with the results. The instructions are also excellent.

Richard

bullzeye..

I use Weaver T-36"s and I have had my four Weavers changed from 1/8" to 3/16" dots and find that they are much easier to see. And the 3/16" dot does not obscure that much of the target at 50 yards, or a 100 yards for that matter..

Dave

Dave -

Who did you use to change your dot reticles and did you keep the same crosshair size?

Dennis L.

Dennis:

I used T.K. Lee in Birmingham, Alabama.. They installed the dot and reticle, I don't know if they used my crosshair or if it was a part of the new reticle, but it was the same size that I sent in. Here is their address if you are interested.. I am very happy with their work..

T. K. LEE COMPANY
1282 Branchwater Lane
Birmingham, AL 35216
205/913-5222

Dave

Lee invented the dot reticle and it used to be called the "Lee Dot", even when sold installed by a scope manufacturer.

They're a fantastic company and I've never heard one complaint about their work.

Picher

Thanks for the responses. I want to go from a 1/8" to a 1/4" dot, but didn't know if the fine corsshair size should also be increased.

Dennis L.

Dennis:

I considered a 1/4" dot, because at 50 yards, it would actually be a 1/8" dot, and I thought that it might assist in hold-off as it would equal about one half of a .22 bullet hole. After talking with T.K. Lee, they convinced me to try the 3/16" and if I wasn't happy, to send it back and they would put in a 1/4" one. I have been happy with the 3/16", so I stayed with them..

Dave

Last edited:
I agree with Dave, if the dot looks too big, that ain't gonna help you. My opinion is you want the dot to appear about the size of the bullseye dot, then you can hold off, say to the nine ring, pretty easy. I just shot a 50/50 target held the nine ring all 25 shots. As mentioned above, these scope manufacturers all base everything off 100yds; dots are twice as small as stated and clicks are twice as small as stated when you shoot at 50yds. If your scope says it's a 1/8 dot with 1/8 clicks, what you really have at 50yds is a 1/16 dot and 1/16 clicks. Thanks, Douglas

Back