Does the 6.5-284 offer......

MColeman

Club Coordinator
any realistic advantage over the .260 Remington for 1,000 yard shooting? I'm setting up a rifle for my own use and have never shot the long range stuff. What about the 6x47 for long range?

Many thanks, guys.

Mickey, the 6.5 x47 will equal vel of 260 and you get more efficiency with the former and Lapua brass. However the 6.5-284 will get more vel even though load manuals don't substantiate that except for Hybrid 100v(2901 for Sie 142 out of 24" barrel) Most of us long range shooters use 30'' barrels and use either H4831 or H4350. With 48-48.5 grs of H4350 I get 2960-3000fps. The 260 has as much inherent accuracy as the 6.5-284 and is more efficient than 6.5-284 with better barrel life because of efficiency. Other things being equal, vel.is king at 1,000 yds.

Mickey, call John Hoover before making decision.814-684-5322

Mickey,

I've never seen a .260 Remington at Hawks Ridge 1,000 yard matches, except when it was being developed & a famous shooter from Tennessee used it at the Nationals. He came in a few places up from dead last.

The .284 case is about the size of a .30/06. There is a long history of both the 6.5/284 and the 6.5/06 (improved) performing well at 1,000 yards, with bullets in the 139-155 grain region. To the best of my knowledge, not much for the .260 in Benchrest.

Which isn't to say it won't work, just that it isn't "benchrest tested." For ranges shorter than 1,000 yards, and with lighter bullets, it is probably just fine.

Another option with factory brass would be the 6.5x57, Can't remember if Lapua makes brass for this, and RWS brass is getting hard to get. But it is a nice case, based on the 8mm, not the 7mm Mauser (i.e., has a shorter neck, longer body).

If you're really going to shoot 1,000 yards, want something proven, and have to choose between the 6.5/284 & .260 Remington, I'd go with the 6.5/284. If you're going to shoot no more than 800 yards with bullets in the 125-grain region, the 260 is likely a nice chambering.

FWIW

Thanks, guys. I don't know that I'll ever compete in the game but I'm going to the matches at Hard Rock range near Auburn, AL the first weekend in March to observe. I'll know more about it then. I don't shoot point blank benchrest much so it doesn't make much sense to have two disciplines that I shoot poorly.

Mickey,

If you want to consider something that is very versatile then look at the 6 in BR, BR variants or the 6X47L as you mentioned. Not as much recoil, not as much powder and great accuracy potential with many bullet choices. Barrels will last longer than the 6.5X284. If you want something strictly for 1000 yards then the 6.5X284 will likely perform a bit better when the conditions are challenging. You would need a muzzle brake on the 6.5 where it would be optional with the 6.

Some of the Highpower/F Class shooters use the .260 but highpower is a different game where you get feedback after each shot to use in doping the wind. As an example a good Palma shooter can do awesome with a .308 at long range but the .308 would not be considered very competitive in the benchrest environment.

.260 ai

I originally built my .260 AI for 600 yards, but it does well at 1000 too.

A .260 AI may be something to consider.

260 question ?

I picked up a savage 112 from salmon river gun specialties. a 6.5 284 with a tight tollerance chamber and a 292 neck the reamer is from clymer man. he calls it a 260srgs looks like fun. its winter here till about may or june haven't had time to play with it spose to shoot well out to 1000 we'll see
thanks

6br

Hi M Coleman , IMO with your extensive experiance with 100/200 guns it would seem a natural that you went with a slightly modified gun that you already have ..Quite a number of top flite competitors at 600 yds have been winning with what essentally a 6ppc gun fitted with a longer barrel in 6br with 105s and some more weight.. Real easy to try it out and see if ya like it..Nobody can argue with the accuracy of the std 6BR and yes it's still usable at 1K..JR..Jeff Rogers
any realistic advantage over the .260 Remington for 1,000 yard shooting? I'm setting up a rifle for my own use and have never shot the long range stuff. What about the 6x47 for long range?

Many thanks, guys.

Jeff, that's something certainly worth considering. I have reamers for almost any cartridge mentioned and am a great fan of the 6BR. I may just try one of those.

Yep , some big names at 600 have set records and kicked serious buut with exactly that..Good luck..JR
Jeff, that's something certainly worth considering. I have reamers for almost any cartridge mentioned and am a great fan of the 6BR. I may just try one of those.

Shooting at HardRock isn't BR nor is it NRA LR. Yes you are shooting from a bench but WITHOUT BR equipment. You can shoot "bull bags" or bipod but not a machine rest. Rear bags are fine. Also there are no sighters, shoot 5 rounds at 600, 5 @ 800, 5 @ 900 & 5 @ 1,000 for your score. You are shooting on steel so that may help and each relay goes down and gets scored then targets are repainted.

I am not a BR shooter and have shot far more F Class (F T/R) using a 308. Most of the F Class open class shooters are using a 6.5-284 and with the strange wind conditions ( trust me, they are strange) I'd probably go with the 284 .
There have been some shooters using a 6mm short case of some sort in the past but I don't recall the ranking in standings.

I'd like to see you there Mickey but my current work has taken me away from at least the 1st 3 matches this year.

Good luck

Mickey, I use a 6.5x57MI which I developed that gives me a blown out 7x57 case necked down to 6.5 with a 30 rather than 40 degree shoulder of the AI. I get 6.5-284 vel. with 3 or 4 gr. less powder and 90% filling the case. I also use a modified 6Br (BRG) in 600 and 1000 yd shooting with good results.

Shooting at HardRock isn't BR nor is it NRA LR. Yes you are shooting from a bench but WITHOUT BR equipment. You can shoot "bull bags" or bipod but not a machine rest. Rear bags are fine. Also there are no sighters, shoot 5 rounds at 600, 5 @ 800, 5 @ 900 & 5 @ 1,000 for your score. You are shooting on steel so that may help and each relay goes down and gets scored then targets are repainted.

I am not a BR shooter and have shot far more F Class (F T/R) using a 308. Most of the F Class open class shooters are using a 6.5-284 and with the strange wind conditions ( trust me, they are strange) I'd probably go with the 284 .
There have been some shooters using a 6mm short case of some sort in the past but I don't recall the ranking in standings.

I'd like to see you there Mickey but my current work has taken me away from at least the 1st 3 matches this year.

Good luck
Will,
My plans are to visit in March just to meet the shooters and observe. I'll actually decide if I want to pursue the game in the next few months. One thing I really don't need is another game that I don't shoot very well. :blush: I already have that in formal benchrest but only shooting a couple of matches a year I have no reason for high expectations.

I'm looking forward to my visit and I'll make several so our paths will cross. Be careful on the road.
Mickey

Mickey, the 6.5 x47 will equal vel of 260 and you get more efficiency with the former and Lapua brass. However the 6.5-284 will get more vel even though load manuals don't substantiate that except for Hybrid 100v(2901 for Sie 142 out of 24" barrel) Most of us long range shooters use 30'' barrels and use either H4831 or H4350. With 48-48.5 grs of H4350 I get 2960-3000fps. The 260 has as much inherent accuracy as the 6.5-284 and is more efficient than 6.5-284 with better barrel life because of efficiency. Other things being equal, vel.is king at 1,000 yds.
Marion,
The rifle I bought from the man I sold it to has a 30 inch barrel but it has a Tooley MBR stock on it so it would restrict my participation in some classes. It's a moot point, however, since I bought it Saturday and sold it Sunday. A fellow stopped by the shop and wanted it. Never expected to sell it but things happen, y'know.

I have a TAC-30 by Stiller Precision in the shop so I may make a rifle on that.

where did you get the BRG

Mickey, I use a 6.5x57MI which I developed that gives me a blown out 7x57 case necked down to 6.5 with a 30 rather than 40 degree shoulder of the AI. I get 6.5-284 vel. with 3 or 4 gr. less powder and 90% filling the case. I also use a modified 6Br (BRG) in 600 and 1000 yd shooting with good results.

Trouble,
I was wondering where you got the BRG and what you thought of the case?

I got it from Billy Dale at BDR Custom Rifles tel (804 314 6787). It is a great case with more neck than the 6mm Dasher I had before. I have used it in score shooting, 600 and 1000 yd benchrest with good results.

Back