Does anybody have

nmibex

experience with HBN coated bullets? Is it worth the effort and expense, help with barrel life and accuracy? I've searched this and other sites and didn't find any current feedback.

It is the same effect as Danzac, Moly and most of the other bullet coatings. No magic, no silver bullet. It does allow less cleaning in a match situation. It does mean more powder on individual barrels. It is worth the effort, but only if you are willing to work to get the data. There are NO INSTANT answers.

Thanks David, to me it is worth it from the less cleaning aspect. My interest is from a hunting perspective and I'm just not disciplined enough to clean my rifles as often as I should. I'm getting better but as Alan Jackson says, I'm a work in progress.

I'm with David on cleaning. I've found it much easier & quicker to keep barrels coated with HBN than about anything else I've tried.

Upside is that I don't get black all over everything; downside is it can be a bugger dragging the first cartridge out of a box - they are slippery.

Maybe I get more consistent velocities with coated projectiles.

John

What's the best source if a person wanted to start using it?

I currently use Danzac with some rifles, but it can be pretty messy. But I already have a lifetime supply...

hbn

lower friction lists 4 diffferent micron sizes, which is preferred?

Larry Sivils

New Mexico imported oryx and ibex in the 60's and there are public draw hunts for both; $1630 for non-resident license that is refundable if you don't draw.

We are using the 5 micron HCPL to coat bullets. One pound of Boron Nitride is sent to you in a plastic bag in a USPS medium flat rate box. If, Big If, you get all the BN out of the plastic bag it will fill three two pound Hodgdon powder cans. The big enemies of a neat transfer from the bag to some other container are air movement, static, and your breath. This stuff is that light. The good part is that it's boron and not a toxic item. In fact, it is used as a base in the cosmetic industry - I'm told.
What the heck, I may as well tell you the method we use for coating bullets.
We clean the bullets first with Acetone and dry them. This is easily accomplished as the acetone dries instantly. We tumble about 100 .30 caliber bullets or 150 6mm bullets in a Lyman Turbo vibratory tumbler for 25 minutes in five pounds of #4 steel shot. That's right, I said STEEL shot. Lead shot will not work for this purpose. Copper BBs will bot work either. I got our steel shot here: http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Steel/products/70/ They list a 10 pound bag of #4 steel shot as # SHO4 You only need about five pounds but 10 pounds is the minimum order.
You only need as much BN as what the tip of a #2 straight screw driver will hold. After tumbling for 25 minutes separate the shot and bullets and "tumble" the bullets in a bath towel.

Let me get this straight. You use less than a 1/2 teaspoon of BN powder but you need to buy it by the gallon? Looks like a guy needs to buy some off another shooter.
What is the process you use to coat a barrel?

Back