Distance off land continued

Q

Quentin

Thanks for the input and advice to you all,

Can you help me with this please?

I have applied a die to the round and finger seated it which shows the impession of the land of my firearm (243 ruger). I have then inseted the same round (very carefully) into the end of the barrel. I note that there is a discrepancy of about .75 of a MM. Does this then tell me that the barrel is tapered or again, may I be in error in my calculations?

Regards

Quentin

Chamber leade impact

When they cut the chamber in the barrel that area where the bullet transitions thru has a chamber throat angle, different reamers manufactured for the same caliber may have different throat angles.

The following Lilja website has information on this: http://www.riflebarrels.com/articles/bullets_ballastics/throat_angles.htm

You will find that commercial chambers will generally have larger throat angles or more "leade", custom barrels will have less.

Commercial manufacturers have to deal with all the possible ammunition/bullet combinations that are out there and be able to accommodate the entire population that may potentially be shot in their guns.

Hope this helps:D

Back