Diopter Adjustable ?? Whats it mean ?

219don

I recently read a description of a rifle scope in which was said the ocular end was diopter adjustable. Can anyone explain what that means ?
Thanks in advance.

I think it simply means that the scope can be focused to your individual eye so the reticle is sharp--by turning the ocular lens in or out as can be done on most modern scopes.

I recently read a description of a rifle scope in which was said the ocular end was diopter adjustable. Can anyone explain what that means ?
Thanks in advance.

Well, I would say they are talking about some kind of variable occular diameter? As in a rear peep target sight that has a lever to vary the diameter of the hole you are looking through. You got to be careful about advertising claims cause some tend to use technical terms loosely. Call them up and ask for an explanation. --greg

My Nightforce has a Diopter adjustment on their BR scope. It helps when two different shooters with different eye sight, use the same scope.

Lens correction for eyesight is measured in diopters.

The official definition: A diopter is a unit of measurement of the optical power of a lens or curved mirror, which is equal to the reciprocal of the focal length measured in meters (that is: 1/focal length in meters). For example, a 3-diopter lens brings parallel rays of light to focus at 1⁄3 meter.

Adjustable diopter in a scope is changing the focal length to correct for eyesight variations.

Thank you.

Thanks for the response's. I'm familiar with what's being described I just wasn't familiar with the term. I should have looked in the dictionary first but useing this site is more interesting. Thanks, again.

Back