Digital Powder Scale for Field Reloading

D

devcam

Hello all,
I'm trying to find out what would be a good scale for reloading out at the range, something stable, reliable and repeatable.

I've had a Lyman 1500 for a few years now and love it. Simple, repeatable enough, holds zero pretty well, and costs around $50:

71pH2YEtEAL._SY355_.jpg

I don't use it for precision shooting, but the Lyman is fine for general weighing.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

I appreciate the reply, I am actually looking for something for precision shooting. I have been reading a little about the Sartorius GD 503 and it seems great but its pretty pricy, I was hoping to find something maybe a little more affordable, not sure if that exists for what I want out of it.

That's actually what I am currently using and it is just not working out for me at all, its too jumpy, the numbers float around too much, it takes me way too long to sit there and consistently load ammo. Any better suggestions?

I'm not sure any of the high-end scales are suited for the outdoors. Simple airflow can effect them. Incidentally, I assume you're weighing charges? And if so, what type of precision work are you doing? Short-range, long distance, etc....

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

I'm not sure any of the high-end scales are suited for the outdoors. Simple airflow can effect them. Incidentally, I assume you're weighing charges? And if so, what type of precision work are you doing? Short-range, long distance, etc....

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

I am loading for long range, I would imagine theres something out there that the benchresters take to the field for developmental purposes, I used to use the little hornady scale that they would include with the press kit and it would work ok when setting up inside the cab of my truck, I tried going for something more precise which led me to the gem pro 250 and it started out ok but its just not performing worth a crap. Anyone reload out at the range?

virtually all short range BR competitors reload at the range.

a chargemaster is about the most high tech scale (electronics wise) you'll find at our matches. a good number of very successful guys still throw charges.

i have no idea how the long range guys load but i'd guess they generally preload at home.

for the resolution of scale you want to use, it won't go very well outdoors.

there are a few threads on here that talk about an A&D brand scale that does a decent job, and about 1/2 the price of the one you mentioned.

but, any of the high end scales will give you the results are seeing now if used outdoor or in the cab of your truck. all are very sensitive to wind and vibration.

Last edited:
virtually all short range BR competitors reload at the range.

a chargemaster is about the most high tech scale you'll find at our matches. a good number of very successful guys still throw charges.

i have no idea how the long range guys load but i'd guess they generally preload at home.

for the resolution of scale you want to use, it won't go very well outdoors.

I have the chargemaster here at home that I use once I determine my load and I can say that it is a real nice scale, its never given me any problems, I like the idea of the gem pro 250 (which I have) but something is just not working out right with it. Technically although I load at the range I do set up for charging in my vehicle to eliminate the wind variable, basically if I could find the equivalent of the gem pro (to measure in the hundredths) but more reliable and stable then I think I'd be set. I appreciate the replies, if anyone else has anything feel free to chime in.

That's actually what I am currently using and it is just not working out for me at all, its too jumpy, the numbers float around too much, it takes me way too long to sit there and consistently load ammo. Any better suggestions?

I recently made a cover for my digital scale. I used a plastic storage bin up side down and cut a door in the front. A plastic bag serves as door.

The thing settles down way quicker now. Pretty easy to lift off and service.

P.S. Oops. I see now yours already has a wind cover.

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently made a cover for my digital scale. I used a plastic storage bin up side down and cut a door in the front. A plastic bag serves as door.

The thing settles down way quicker now. Pretty easy to lift off and service.

P.S. Oops. I see now yours already has a wind cover.

Mine does have a cover, however, for whatever reason or another it is just a major pain to get it to where the numbers hold, sometimes even when it indicates that it's perfectly level the reading is still jumpy.

Sounds like you may be having a little problem with your Gem-Pro. I have seen them in use at matches under narrow conditions and they seemed to hold a zero, weight, tare quite well and without wandering.

Mine does have a cover, however, for whatever reason or another it is just a major pain to get it to where the numbers hold, sometimes even when it indicates that it's perfectly level the reading is still jumpy.

My RCBS Chargemaster type scale is the old model that has a separate scale and separate powder dispenser. I think I've been counting to about 7 or 10 after the decimal point locks.

I've also been calibrating the scale on what they call a "Low Range Calibration" (Less than 20 grams (308.6 grains)). I'm not sure if it speeds things up. They say it is better unless your weighing heavy loads up near the scale top end range .

Lr powder weights

I am loading for long range, I would imagine theres something out there that the benchresters take to the field for developmental purposes, I used to use the little hornady scale that they would include with the press kit and it would work ok when setting up inside the cab of my truck, I tried going for something more precise which led me to the gem pro 250 and it started out ok but its just not performing worth a crap. Anyone reload out at the range?

Most long range shooters use a scale that will weigh in .00/hundredths if a grain.Weighing every round.

devcam

I went through the same search as you a year or so ago. My solution was to buy a few hundred small glass vials with screw on caps and preload powder weight charges at home using my FX120I scale. Once loaded I place the vials in plastic 25 rd shotgun cartridge containers and use a sharpie to write the powder type and charge on the top of the box. One weight per container. It takes me an hour or two prior to heading to the range but it sure saves me time once I get to the range.

Good Shooting.

Rich

Another method----at home

Weigh your charges and use prepped, primed cases for your "bottle"------use upside down bullets for your bottle stopper.

Sort and arrange your containers in cartridge boxes.

Turn your bullets around and seat at the range. Unused powder charges can be dumped back into your supply.

This is somewhat limited but works well where it applies.

A. Weldy

I have a couple of questions (because I do not shoot long range) and a suggestion. Are you testing at a shorter range for longer? How broad are the nodes that you normally see? The reason that I ask is that I have tuned balance scales to the point that it is easy to see a half of a tenth differences (with magnification), and I have a scale wind protection box, made from wood, that has a sliding tempered glass cover (Plastic caused static issues.) and leveling feet. It has a trickler that is inside the box with the scale, but which has its handle sticking out through a close fitting hole in the end of the box. This combination does not have the drift and stability issues that are common to electronic scales when they are used in unsuitable environments, and it is quite responsive when trickling up a charge. The reason that I asked about the distance that you are testing at is that as I understand it, the importance of minor differences in charge weight increases with distance, and if you are testing at a shorter distance than you might be able to tune with something that is not quite as accurate as the digital scales that are commonly used for preloading match ammunition. That way once you had a load, you could reproduce it to tighter tolerances loading at home. I think that any scale that is sensitive enough (.01-.02 gr.) for the top level of charge weight accuracy that is preferred to minimize your extreme spreads, will be a pain to deal with in the field, precisely because that sensitivity requires a more stable environment, while those that are more stable, may be less sensitive than my tuned balance scales, and slower to trickle with.

I have tried a Gem Pro 250 that belongs to a friend,(tough not at the range) and found it to be an excellent value. I did not use it to trickle charges or load, but rather to evaluate my powder measure technique. If yours is acting up, I think that I would contact the people that you bought it from and see about returning it under warranty. One trick that I use with electronic scales is to make up a test weight that is close to the weights that I will be using plus the weight of the pan. That way, if I have a question about the reading that I am seeing, I can remove the pan and charge, and put the check weight on the scale to see if there is a problem.

I have a couple of questions (because I do not shoot long range) and a suggestion. Are you testing at a shorter range for longer? How broad are the nodes that you normally see? The reason that I ask is that I have tuned balance scales to the point that it is easy to see a half of a tenth differences (with magnification), and I have a scale wind protection box, made from wood, that has a sliding tempered glass cover (Plastic caused static issues.) and leveling feet. It has a trickler that is inside the box with the scale, but which has its handle sticking out through a close fitting hole in the end of the box. This combination does not have the drift and stability issues that are common to electronic scales when they are used in unsuitable environments, and it is quite responsive when trickling up a charge. The reason that I asked about the distance that you are testing at is that as I understand it, the importance of minor differences in charge weight increases with distance, and if you are testing at a shorter distance than you might be able to tune with something that is not quite as accurate as the digital scales that are commonly used for preloading match ammunition. That way once you had a load, you could reproduce it to tighter tolerances loading at home. I think that any scale that is sensitive enough (.01-.02 gr.) for the top level of charge weight accuracy that is preferred to minimize your extreme spreads, will be a pain to deal with in the field, precisely because that sensitivity requires a more stable environment, while those that are more stable, may be less sensitive than my tuned balance scales, and slower to trickle with.

I have tried a Gem Pro 250 that belongs to a friend,(tough not at the range) and found it to be an excellent value. I did not use it to trickle charges or load, but rather to evaluate my powder measure technique. If yours is acting up, I think that I would contact the people that you bought it from and see about returning it under warranty. One trick that I use with electronic scales is to make up a test weight that is close to the weights that I will be using plus the weight of the pan. That way, if I have a question about the reading that I am seeing, I can remove the pan and charge, and put the check weight on the scale to see if there is a problem.

I do test at a shorter range to prepare for the further distances, that is really why I find it important to be able to load at the range with a scale that can measure within .02 grain, cause when all works well I'm able to get the results I look for without blowing through components cause of charge variations. The gem pro 250 started out good, it would take longer than I liked to settle but it worked. Obviously something is a little whacky with it now because no matter what I do (even if its enclosed and perfectly level) it just does not hold zero. Therefore, my reason for the post was to see what other scales/brands were out there that other people have had good experiences with as I have only used the gem pro 250, the chargemaster (which is great but not as fine of a measurement for what I need) and the little hornady digital scale that came with the press kit which surprisingly seemed to be more stable than the gem pro, it too doesn't have as fine of a measurement though.

I appreciate the reply, I am actually looking for something for precision shooting. I have been reading a little about the Sartorius GD 503 and it seems great but its pretty pricy, I was hoping to find something maybe a little more affordable, not sure if that exists for what I want out of it.

I have a Satorius GD 503. Great scale, but at $1350.00 a bit pricey. It's a bit on the big side and it is recommend that it be plugged in for 24 hours before using it so taking it to the range is a little far fetched.

Back