Dialing a prechambered barrel in for shortening

Ok a quistion for experienced benchrest smiths.
I have a barrel I chambered with good results 28.1875" long now I want to shorten it to 25.875".
I dial in the throat and muzzle for my two points then drill and bore then chamber.
Dialed it in at throat and intended muzzle then checked base of the chamber it out .001.
the quistion what would be the best way to dial in for crowning if I don't want to rechamber. Will it be best to dial in the chamber and throat then crown,or throat and muzzle then crown,or chamber throat muzzle the best I can get it then crown. In all instances I can get it within. 0001 to .0002.except for last one. Not sure where I could get it maybe .0005 the barrel is a 6.5 bartlien 5r 1-8 twist chamber is a 6.5 saum. Thanks for any input.

Last edited:
Ideally, a crown should be dead square with the very last part of the barrel that the contact area of the built sees.

That amounts to about 1/2 inch on average.

What I do on my competition barrels is when I turn the barrel around, I true the barrel exactly as it was before, with the indicator stylus about 1/4 inch into the barrel. That sort of splits the difference in any small deviation in straightness of that final 1/2 inch of the muzzle end.

Don't overthink it.

Ideally, a crown should be dead square with the very last part of the barrel that the contact area of the built sees.

That amounts to about 1/2 inch on average.

What I do on my competition barrels is when I turn the barrel around, I true the barrel exactly as it was before, with the indicator stylus about 1/4 inch into the barrel. That sort of splits the difference in any small deviation in straightness of that final 1/2 inch of the muzzle end.

Don't overthink it.

Thanks I do have a tendency to overthink things . I guess I get a little OCD about machining. I figured it would be just fine getting the muzzle and throat within .0002 and then crown

Back