Decapping Wilson 30 BR Neck Die

J

Jeffreytooker

I got my Wilson 30 BR neck and seating dies a couple of weeks ago. All has gone well until today. Decap pin broke. I am trying to get ready for a match next Saturday.:mad:

I have looked for just the Wilson decap pin and have not found it to buy. Who has them? While we are on the subject, are the decap pins rather delicate? What is the best solution to the problem. Buy more pins, get a regular decap die with a small pin or both?

Thank you.

Jeffrey Tooker

I bought a

I got my Wilson 30 BR neck and seating dies a couple of weeks ago. All has gone well until today. Decap pin broke. I am trying to get ready for a match next Saturday.:mad:

I have looked for just the Wilson decap pin and have not found it to buy. Who has them? While we are on the subject, are the decap pins rather delicate? What is the best solution to the problem. Buy more pins, get a regular decap die with a small pin or both?

Thank you.

Jeffrey Tooker

spare some time ago at Sinclairs. Have you looked there? Or, go right to the source.....

http://www.lewilson.com/

I found them.

spare some time ago at Sinclairs. Have you looked there? Or, go right to the source.....

I searched Sinclair again and found two listings. One is called a neck die punch, and the other is a neck die decapping rod. They both look the same to me. Will call Sinclair Monday and get a couple on the way. Thank you for your response.

Jeffrey Tooker

Jeffrey: When you get your new decapping rod, double check the diameter of the pin. I've had several that were .065. Most flash hole uniformers for the small primers only take the hole to .062-ish.

For decapping cases, I use the Sinclair decapping base and a Lee :eek: Case Length Guage for a 308W with the threaded stem cut off. It centers perfectly in a .30 cal neck. I did have to make the pin smaller to fit the flash holes. Chucking it in a drill and run it at high speed with some sandpaper does the trick in about one minute. The result is a very heavy duty decapper.

You can scoll down this link until you get to the Case Length Guage and you'll see what I mean. You can probably do the same thing with their .30 cal Decapper and Base and not have to cut the stem off the Case Guage.

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1246874853.4712=/html/catalog/casecon.html

Hope this helps. -Al

I've had this same problem. No one had them in stock, and Wilson wanted me to send everything back so they could look at it. I had my gunsmith make some. Broke a second one within 20 rounds. Then I noticed that the pin was off center, and rotating the top 180 either made the pin in the center or way off. I then marked the top and body of the die with a punch, and have not had any problem for about 2 years now.

Jim

Good for now.

Jeffrey: When you get your new decapping rod, double check the diameter of the pin. I've had several that were .065. Most flash hole uniformers for the small primers only take the hole to .062-ish.

For decapping cases, I use the Sinclair decapping base and a Lee :eek: Case Length Guage for a 308W with the threaded stem cut off. It centers perfectly in a .30 cal neck. I did have to make the pin smaller to fit the flash holes. Chucking it in a drill and run it at high speed with some sandpaper does the trick in about one minute. The result is a very heavy duty decapper.

You can scoll down this link until you get to the Case Length Guage and you'll see what I mean. You can probably do the same thing with their .30 cal Decapper and Base and not have to cut the stem off the Case Guage.

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1246874853.4712=/html/catalog/casecon.html

Hope this helps. -Al

Al and Jim:

I worked on my Lee Universal (not quite) decapper. I ground down the pin. It works well and is now universal. I will get a new pin for it sometime, so it will not be universal. :) The Wilson pins shipped from Sinclair today. They are the proper pins. The broken pin was .0567" so it was correct. Thanks for all of the help.

Jeffrey Tooker

Back