De-capping Live Primers Again

Dave Coots

64 Chevy 409 10.42 129
Someone a while back was concerned he was going to blow himself up decapping cases with live primers. I found some info I had written down about trying to set off a live primer with a die punch about 8 years ago. I had on safety glasses when I did this and put a rag around the bottom of the die. See attachment.

Don't try this, you will blow yourself to kingdom come...………

Later
Dave

Attachments

• Primer Test (1).pdf
    46.1 KB · Views: 359
Last edited:
Someone a while back was concerned he was going to blow himself up decapping cases with live primers. I found some info I had written down about trying to set off a live primer with a die punch about 8 years ago. I had on safety glasses when I did this and put a rag around the bottom of the die.

Don't try this, you will blow yourself to kingdom come...………

Later
Dave

The Neil Jones depriming hand tool works more than well for this. The man knew what he was doing when he designed this...as with all of his other tools. I have used this tool often and have never had a fear of one exploding.

primers are in IMPACT EXPLOSIVE.
PUSHING them out vs beating them out is a big deal.
i have removed and reused primers

I just deprimed 8000 live primers at work. I used a Lee decaping die in a Forster press. Slow push and didn't set any off. These were all crimped M80 brass.

I've "pushed out" quite a few live primers over the years and even went as far as to press them back into primer pocket and fired them, with no issues.

Back