dasher barrel lengh

skeetlee

Why do most 600 yard shooters shoot 29+ inch barrels? Can a 26" barrel do just as well? Please explain.
Reason i am asking is simply because i am going to use my 13.5 pound score rifle this year for the few 600 yard matches i will attend. I finally got my new reamer for the dasher, and as soon as i find a blank i am going to chamber it up. Because i am using a lighter weight rifle to begin with, i dont want to hang a 30" barrel off of it, and have an overly nose heavy rifle. I use a 36x sightron scope on my score rifle to stay under 13.5 pounds, so when i place my nightforce scope on this plat form, i will gain a pound right there. I figure with a 26" dasher barrel and the nightforce scope i should be around 15 pounds and balanced fairly well. Any thoughts on any of this? Lee

Lee -

I use longer barrels to obtain the higher accuracy/velocity nodes at less pressure.
Of the 6Dasher barrels I have cut down for re-chamberings, they have equated to a lose of 15 to 20-fps per inch.
For me going from 31" down to 28" it takes .4 to .6-tenths of powder increase to obtain the same velocity. To run the 3030 to 3080-fps nodes, I get much better brass life from the +30" barrels then I do from my -28" barrels do to the powder efficiency gains.

As to weight, I suggest you take full advantage of the 17-lb weight rule and add weight to the butt to not only offset barrel lengths, but more so to tame re-coil, hence tracking.
For me, if my gun is only at say at 16-lbs, I will add butt weight to get it closer to 17-lbs for the gains to balance & tracking. I also find my 600/1000 BR guns do not fallow the same principles/concepts that do my short range 6PPC concepts to weight, balance, and tracking.

On a note, with my Shehane Tooley MBR stock on my 600/1000 Lt-gun, I run on the stitching of the rear bag, unlike my 10.5-lb PPC where I was on the ears. Life got a whole lot better for me when I stopped trying to run short range concepts with my heavier long range guns.
I also personally like my long range guns to be more nose heavy, and feel there is benefits to tracking and torque, no doubt from the faster twist barrels and increased recoil of the bigger calibers.

Good Luck !.!
Donovan

Last edited:
6mmDasher 6mmBRX Barrel lengths

I prefer 30"-32" barrels. I use heavy Palma Contours. Most of my rifles will make both light gun and F-Class weights. Both these rounds have accuracy nodes between 3,020 and 3080 fps. This can be achieved with Varget powder and 105-108 grain bullets. I have customers who shoot 28" barrels but they usually have to bump their loads 1.5- 2.0 grains to get velocity. Both rounds share the same accuracy and economy of shooting with less powder, less recoil, and longer barrel life.
Nat Lambeth

I shot a 26" dasher last season in LG.. swept the aggs for the first time. Accuracy node +-3,000 instead of the 3,030ish I ran with 28's. Running a 26" br-dx this season, got beat last weekend, but it's right there. Node also just over 3,000, but less powder by about .8ish. My 11 pound class gun, is also a 26"br-dx, shot the first 100 score in our clubs history Saturday with it. No clue where that one cronys yet, broke it in and fired two different loads in matches, one worked.

Tom

Im just a rookie with the dasher. everyone is saying 28" . well i did my first one 26" have not shot it alot. but what chrony testing i did with it so far.
i have been able to get 2,950 to 3,000 FPS with no trouble and it does seem very accurate. only judgeing it at 100 yrds. havent got it tuned or been able to shoot it at 600 or 1k yet. I was able to push it to 3,075 FPS with a 105 gr berger but i could tell the load was on the hot side for sure. not that you could not shoot it , but it maybe hard on brass. Im very happy with it. If im lucky i may shoot one or two matches a year with it. i built it mostly to play with and learn about it.

Why do most 600 yard shooters shoot 29+ inch barrels? Can a 26" barrel do just as well? Please explain.
Reason i am asking is simply because i am going to use my 13.5 pound score rifle this year for the few 600 yard matches i will attend. I finally got my new reamer for the dasher, and as soon as i find a blank i am going to chamber it up. Because i am using a lighter weight rifle to begin with, i dont want to hang a 30" barrel off of it, and have an overly nose heavy rifle. I use a 36x sightron scope on my score rifle to stay under 13.5 pounds, so when i place my nightforce scope on this plat form, i will gain a pound right there. I figure with a 26" dasher barrel and the nightforce scope i should be around 15 pounds and balanced fairly well. Any thoughts on any of this? Lee

I'm shooting 105 Bergers with my Dasher and a 24 inch barrel in 600 yd benchrest. I'd use a longer one but this was a cut-down 6-284 (cheapskate) but it works very well.

Vince (UK)

I know this is about 6 Dasher's but does the same hold true for the 6mmBR ?? I currently have two 28" barrels ordered for a new build. I could get a 30" from Grizzly (in stock). Is the extra 2 inches worth it in a 6BR for comps ?
Thanx again

I just cut back for this year from 30" down to 28" on all the guns. I shoot mostly RL-15 and i only find a loss of 7 FPS.per inch,I gain less heat in the shorter barrel and it is stiffer. It ain't a race, the second load went in .084 at 100 yds. right from the start. I even had these barrels frozen maybe it helped? I will see at the end of the year......... jim

Back