Cz barrel change

B

bobbyb82

Hello everyone new to this site looking forward to catching up with all the old threads
I do have a question has anyone tried fitting a .17hmr varmint barrel to a hmr American i know the stock would have to be worked on but are the barrel threads the same any other problems you are aware of.
I will just add i wanted an .17hmr varmint barreled gun but they don't make the varmint in left hand only the American well only available in the UK
Thanks in advance
BOB......

No, they are threaded. I would assume (yea, I know about assume) that they would be they same thread. Perhaps get in touch with CZ USA and ask them. Take Care.

Cz

Bobby,

I don't think you will have a problem fitting a CZ barrel to another CZ...I have just replaced a CZ452 barrel with a BRNO Model 2 barrel...they are all machined the same...the major problem is getting the old one out...most of the ones I've seen and heard of have had to be parted just in front of the receiver to release the pressure to get them undone without damaging anything...The one I just did was locktited in so some heat might be required.

Steve

Thanks Guys
I have spoken to a gun smith he told they are threaded when he removes the barrel the only way is a set of 24" stilsons on the barrel and the receiver in a vice with lead soft jaws
which destroys the barrel obviously CZ will not sell you a barrel in the UK.I also learnt that when fitting the new barrel it has to be machined/relieved so that when screwed together the grooves in the receiver end of the barrel line up with the extractor claws
It sounds a lot more complicated than i hoped
but i will be giving boarder barrels a call
Thanks again

Bobby,

That's the other problem...CZ don't sell barrels...I thought you already had a barrel to fit...You can get them out without damaging them if you have the right gear...I use a heavy duty barrel vise on the barrel and a benchrest barrel vise made of aluminium with Vees cut in it to go over the action...I have bolted a piece of 2 foot bar to it to use as leverage...sometimes you have to give it a fairly big whack with a big hammer to get it loose...if you cant get it out with something like that a lathe is the best option...getting your barrel maker to remove and fit a new barrel is the best bet...they would have the right gear to get it out with hopefully no damage.

Steve

Back