CZ 550 American in .308

T

Tom Wayte

Has anyone had experience with the CZ 550 American in .308 caliber.
I have been thinking about buying a .308. Is the CZ worth buying?
How is the accuracy and workmanship (quality)?

What is the better choice CZ or Remington?

Thanks, Tom

Tom,
The only CZ550 that I have is a 458Lott. I think it is a better made product. This is hunting rifles that you are talking about?
Butch

I just had a CZ 550 in 308 in the shop earlier this fall. I was impressed by everything you get for the money! Customer wanted a Muzzlebrake installed.
Kim

I have a CZ550 American in .243. I bought it b/c I wanted a gun that was made of all steel and like most of the features of this gun. It's a accurate gun but you may find that the "free-floating" stock is rubbing the barrel as most do. Some light sanding in the barrel channel and you'll find these guns are good shooters. With the 550s, the action is a long action so don't expect a short action. The magazines cannot be top-loaded and have to be removed to be loaded. Other than that, the rings that come with the gun are pretty tall but are beefy. It's a heavier gun but mine feed/extracts flawlessly. The set triggers are a nice feature but I hardly use mine as it's hard to get used to. For the money, they are great guns....They just don't have the after-market components that a Remington 700 would.

I own a CZ-550, My daughter and son also have 550's. We have 308 270 243 calilbers. I use the set trigger mostly for sighting in and target shooting. It's not a benchrest trigger and I don't use it hunting except when conditions are right! I like the 550 and also like "robertb" the barrel forearm fit needed a little work on one gun. It wasn't a big deal just a little cleaning up. I went to the tool box and got out a socket of the correct size. A few passes with some sandpaper and a little sealer and all is well. All three shoot very good however saying that the latest is my daughters .243. It has not been shot very much but nothing i've seen so far would indicate it will not perform well. Sometime the actions seem a little rough while cycling at the shop, but once I get them home a good cleaning, a little Break-free and some more cycling of the action and they smooth up nicly! I don't know if they are any better than other guns however I think they are as good as any comparable guns.

Whistler,
I forgot to mention that my CZ 550 in .243 absolutely will not shoot 100 grain bullets worth a darn. I've tried Varget, IMR4350 and 4064 and all produced shotgun groups. I have found that this gun really likes Sierra 85gr BTHP with Win. brass and 37.8gr of Varget and BR2s. Give that a shot and see if it isn't a winner.

All three shoot very good however saying that the latest is my daughters .243. It has not been shot very much but nothing i've seen so far would indicate it will not perform well. QUOTE]

What little we have shot the 243 was with 100 gr. bullets at 100 yds. We were getting the scope lined up for deer season. I was using Fed. factory ammo and was happy with the way it was shooting. I picked Federal because thats what the store carried, not any personal preference but we had used these before in the 270. I will do a little experimenting when things warm up! As mentioned it's my daughters gun and she is getting married this summer. I guess she will take that with her.................. darn-it I had some Coyote, groundhg hunting plans for it too! I'm a big fan of the 243.

CZ 550 American .308

Thanks for the input on the CZ .308, I ordered one.
Tom

I don't know if the set trigger on the CZ 550 is the same design as the CZ 527
but if it is they are, getting a safe trigger down to 1&1/2 or less without using the set is easy. May have to change the spring but I don't want to mess with a set in a hunting situation. Kenny

but I don't want to mess with a set in a hunting situation. Kenny

sicero
I don't know what is meant by "mess with a set trigger" :confused:If you mean take the time to set the trigger? If I don't have the time than I simply don't set it and use it as a standard trigger.
If you mean dangerous? I only use it (set trigger) when I deer hunt from my stand that has a rail completely around it. This rail acts as a very stable platform and offers me the opportunity to take my time and wait for the shot I want. I wouldn't use it otherwise! I will say it is used most for target practice and aligning scopes!:D

Whisler,

I only posted to let anyone interested in lightening and slicking up the trigger that it was easy. I don't use a set trigger in a hunting situation but I don't give a rats petutie if someone else want to. Kenny

It's sometimes hard to read these old forums and figure out just how someone means something! Hope you didn't take offense to my questioning your statement! I think we are of the same opinion on this trigger issue 100%:)

Whistler, I didn't take your post as intended and overreacted. Sorry Kenny

About the CZ 550 308

I have a CZ 550 308, When I bought mine it needed an epoxy bedding job as the recoil lug was very loose in the mortice.With this done the thing really came alive. It will shoot three different bullet weights to the same point of impact at 100yds. Often 3 shot groups are under 1/2 inch which makes it easily the best 308 I have owned. The finish is well done and it has real blueing, as opposed to that painted on garbage that seems to be so popular at the moment.:D There is just one thing, my rifle does not like 180g bullets as it has a 1 in 13 twist barrel. Best accuracy is with anything up to and including 165g.

Back