CZ 452 makeover.....................

Not to argue, but to inquire:

(1.) What standard of accuracy do benchresters use when they state that a CZ could not approach the accuracy of the more popular benchrest rimfires (Anschutz, etc.)?

(2.) Are there any benchrest quality 17 HMR cartridges. I find 17 HMR to be like a 22 LR high velocity, hollow point, that is, not very consistent in terms of priming. Am I right in this observation?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mr D,

I would probably say the same reasons why for the CZ as a Rem 700 Centerfire to a BR match versus a custom build. It will get you there but when you seperate the men from the boys you will be with the boys. Some may be happy just being in the group with the boys but others...............

You have to admit some of the internal receiver maching is quite crude looking. The trigger is functional but not like a Jewell, Kelby, or Rem which are quite easily adjustable but basically drop in and shoot.

What makes them good factory shooters has all got to be in the barrel?????

I would expect what you said to be true, but what kind of groups do custom barrels and Annies shoot so I have a comparison to my cheapy CZ 453?

I'm shooting a 17 HMR and frankly it seems the ammo is the weak link as to consistency in group size. I've shot .166" at 50 meters, but every once an awhile a shot pops out of the group when the hold felt solid. I also get a misfire about every 250 rounds with a heavy firing pin hit. I think the priming is suspect on 17 HMR ammo. I guess that's why benchresters pay alllot for their ammo! :D

I don't think there's much going on for .17 HMR as far as benchrest goes, and the ammo is more or less just hunting ammo as a result. They can be very accurate, but aren't always, as you've seen. You'll need to go to .22 LR for widespread benchrest support, which includes the availability better ammo.

Shorty,

Well, I payed $8.60 for 50 rounds of 17 HMR, so I guess I can't expect benchrest quality priming! :rolleyes: Ground squirrels need more speed that 22 LR it seems! :D

Update on the build

It is presently about just over 1 week away from completion. I have some pics from this AM from Dennis after sitting overnight in the first stage of bedding.

After bedding is complete the trigger shoe needs to be bent forward to fit properly in the trigger guard and the final finish put on the barrel.

All I will have to do is make and install a aluminium buttplate and finish the stock. I am going to make one modification to the stock B4 it is finished. I plan on angling the sqare back of the forend. I will knock the corners off at a 45 and blend it in.

22CZ2.jpg

22CZ1.jpg

Calvin

I'm using a factory CZ 452 American for a sporter in IR 50/50 3 gun with a 6 power Redfield This rifle IS the absolute most accurate factory sporter I have ever seen, it will shoot tiny 5 shot groups at 50 yds with Lapua Master M. If yours is anything like mine you will have a shooter. Post a range report after you get to the range.

Well after

a bit of waiting the project is in my hands. Thanks to Dennis Sorensen aka Guntech for the great work.

Here it is.

2008_0515Image0024.jpg

2008_0515Image0025.jpg

2008_0515Image0026.jpg

All that is left is to make the aluminium butt plate and complete the Import paperwork for a new Weaver 36X in silver for it.

If things go as planned I may make it to the range to try it out.

Calvin

BEAUTIFUL!

Looking forward to a range report on this one!

Jim B.

Well,

Looking forward to a range report on this one!

Jim B.

will a CZ 452 with a Benchmark reverse taper barrel, chambered with a match reamer shoot? I definately think so.

I went out this morning to give it a shot. I was not really sure why because the winds were 30 kmh with gusts to 45 kmh. Took some flags and set up at 50 yards. Target was a USBR practice target printed off of the net on 60lb paper.

I started with a bore just cleaned from the other night with some kroil on a patch and dried it out. Pulled a box of Lapua Master M out gave it a shot.
The first shot printed in the 6 ring about 1 o'clock. The next 4 printed in a beautiful 4 shot group (basically 1 hole) at the 3 o'clock position disected almost perfectly by the 6/7 ring.

After that, things went for ****. The wind picked up fast and started to switch like crazy. Regardless, I was very happy with my amateur wind reading skills. I could pretty much tell when I was loosing shots out of the groups. I could just not find a condition that would really come back and repeat itself predictably. If it was close the velocity was down. I did not try to compensate for the lower velocity. I wanted to see the effects of the wind pushing the bullets around.

This shooting in the wind gives me a real respect for the guys and gals that can shoot well in it.

I will keep you posted when I get a day that the wind is down where I feel that I can confidently give a better assesment.

Until later,
Calvin

Calvin,

Nice rifle. You will love that Benchmark barrel. Keep us up-to-date on the results.

a bit of waiting the project is in my hands. Thanks to Dennis Sorensen aka Guntech for the great work.

Here it is.

2008_0515Image0024.jpg

2008_0515Image0025.jpg

2008_0515Image0026.jpg

All that is left is to make the aluminium butt plate and complete the Import paperwork for a new Weaver 36X in silver for it.

If things go as planned I may make it to the range to try it out.

Calvin

what kind of stock is that? and how many action screws does the 452 have?

That is a Don Stith Stock, That action from the factory has 1 action screw I think he was trying to add another using the front mag well screw hole.

The 452 has a few variants, some with 2 actions screws, and some with 1 action screw and a barrel lug/screw. The 452/453 American has two action screws, as does the 453 Varmint. The rest slip my mind at the moment, but you can check rimfirecentral for lots of CZ info.

Yes

it is a Stith stock.

In regards to action screws this model had the one screw in the action and the other in the recoil lug dovetailed into the barrel.

I had the gunsmith that put it together drill and tap the rear tang for another screw. The metal in that area is not very thick but there is enough there to make a functional attachment.

Calvin

I got the stock right.

Are those rings the lows or highs?
And have you you been shooting that thing Calvin?

Theron

Those

are just the standard BKL rings.

Do I get out shooting it much? Not very often.

Maybe after Sept. long weekend which is my last center fire match I may dust it off and have at it. After having it put together and shooting it somewhat I just realized that I do not get the same satisfaction shooting rimfire as I do centerfire.

I do have a couple last things to finish it off. Put some weight in the butt and get a tuner for it.

Calvin

are just the standard BKL rings.

Do I get out shooting it much? Not very often.

Maybe after Sept. long weekend which is my last center fire match I may dust it off and have at it. After having it put together and shooting it somewhat I just realized that I do not get the same satisfaction shooting rimfire as I do centerfire.

I do have a couple last things to finish it off. Put some weight in the butt and get a tuner for it.

Calvin

What kind of groups are you getting at 50 yds?

-------------------------
http://www.takdriver.com

To

be honest with you I have not given an honest effort to evaluate the rifle.

I do have plenty of top end Eley Tenex both the old a new generics to try as well as some Lapua.

It was chambered for Lapua ammo and the limited testing I did Lapua was the bullet of choice. Fortunate enough I have a dealer with Lapua ammo in my hometown to pickup and try the Midas. The Master M I have shoots quite well in it.

It has hovered for me in the high 2's low 3's.

Like I said I have not given it a honest effort as of yet. Just going by memory. I am lucky if I have fired 300 rounds down the pipe as yet.

Calvin

Back