Cutting muzzle crown on 22 sporter

dokey

What would be the best way to crown the muzzle on a 22rf sporter such as a Win 52 69 or 75 which is rounded?

i believe brownells use to sell a "round" crown tool...but i think it was 30 cal...check with them

You may need to get creative with how and where you hold the tool bit, but the compound on a lathe can rotate to cut a radius.:)

That's the hard way, though. I usually just chamfer cut the crown, then bevel the outside edge. Then round and blend it from there with a file, and polish. It doesn't leave a true radius, but can be made to fool the eye and produce a good crown that is protected.

Another way would to grind a radius into a lathe tool bit, or buy one that is already ground.... MSC has carbide tipped concave radius tool bits from 1/32" radius to 1/2" radius bits by 1/32" increments for instance.

I ground up a quarter inch high speed tool bit with a radius years ago and am still using it today. I run my lathe in low back gear and plunge cut feeding by hand. The only down side to this type of crown,unlike a benchrest crown,is that you have to dial in the muzzle.

explain that...are you talking od vs bore ??

I ground up a quarter inch high speed tool bit with a radius years ago and am still using it today. I run my lathe in low back gear and plunge cut feeding by hand. The only down side to this type of crown,unlike a benchrest crown,is that you have to dial in the muzzle.

huh?

explain that...are you talking od vs bore ??

I guess I didn't make myself very clear so will try again. I took a quarter inch high speed tool bit and ground a female radius. The radius was large enough so I can crown a barrel up to about .750 by blending it in by using the cross feed and the compound together. In other words it is not a specific radius but it looks nice. With this type of crown I dial the barrel in on the inside diameter of the bore. With a flat "Kelbley style" crown I'm not as particular. Hope this makes sense to someone besides me!

Check with the tool makers. Someone makes a piloted reamer made just for this type of crown. I know because I have one in my tool box but I cannot get there from here to look at the name on it.
I have it for one job on an old Newton rifle that I have been procrastinating on for about 4 years.:confused:

I guess I didn't make myself very clear so will try again. I took a quarter inch high speed tool bit and ground a female radius. The radius was large enough so I can crown a barrel up to about .750 by blending it in by using the cross feed and the compound together. In other words it is not a specific radius but it looks nice. With this type of crown I dial the barrel in on the inside diameter of the bore. With a flat "Kelbley style" crown I'm not as particular. Hope this makes sense to someone besides me!

Want to make a small correction. I don't use the compound at all, just the cross feed. If you run in low back gear and your tool is sharp there should be no chatter as long as you don't get in a hurry. I could care less about about the O.D. I think I finally have it right!

Check with the tool makers. Someone makes a piloted reamer made just for this type of crown. I know because I have one in my tool box but I cannot get there from here to look at the name on it.
I have it for one job on an old Newton rifle that I have been procrastinating on for about 4 years.:confused:

The only ones I've seen are caliber specific..but I've seen them too.

They are not caliber specific they are pilot shank specific just like chamber reamers.
I should say they are pilot shank specific just like counter bore reamers, there is a few sizes to cover all the small bore calibers.;)

Last edited:
Do those type crowning tools really work? I use the counter bore tool kiff sells for my Remington's. works great! Lee

When I bought my first lathe I really didn't know much about running one. It was August and I had matches in mind so my focus was on learning to cut some quality threads and used the breech cone, crown and chamber reamers to do everything else.
I earned points in IBS long range matches with those first 2 barrels.
After buying more tooling and spending some time with my machine I soon gave up the reamers and never went back to them.
I have the breach cone reamers for BAT actions and eleven degree crown reamers in all 3 pilot shanks some were never used. They sit in a tool box waiting for the day I see an opportunity to sell them to someone that would make good use of them.

I still want to try the one reamer for the Newton rifle mentioned in this thread. I doubt I will want to cut that type of crown on many barrels but since I don't know how else to cut a radius crown it will have to be a reamed crown.

Last edited:
Back