Cutting 11* crown advise on 22rf target barrels

dokey

I just bought a 11* muzzle crowning tool with a brass pilot from Brownells. I tried crowning a 22rf barrel by hand using light pressure . The result wasn't smooth, it looked like a fine chatter. The pilot fits snugly in the bore. Should I use a lubricant ?

Crowning a barrel needs to be done in a lathe. Anything you do with hand tools as far as crowning a barrel is just asking for trouble.

crowning

I have a lathe and have crowned barrels on it. In this case the barrels are already crowned and all I want to do is put a 11* bevel just slightly larger than the bore. If you guys think it should be done on a lathe let me know what speed and if I should use cutting oil

Thanks all for your help
Pete

Has the 11 degree crown ever been proven to be an improvement?

I think it's been demonstrated many times that there's nothing special about 11* - but a lot of people still think it helps, and if it's done well it shouldn't hurt...

GsT

I just bought a 11* muzzle crowning tool with a brass pilot from Brownells. I tried crowning a 22rf barrel by hand using light pressure . The result wasn't smooth, it looked like a fine chatter. The pilot fits snugly in the bore. Should I use a lubricant ?

You need someone to "advise" you with some "advice" on how to do this. Do it in a lathe.

I think it's been demonstrated many times that there's nothing special about 11* - but a lot of people still think it helps, and if it's done well it shouldn't hurt...

GsT

For a time. long ago, the 11degree crown was the crown to have. Later it fell out of favor. Who,now, of the winners, shoot a 11 degree crown?

ton of articles on crowns and even more opinions, bottom line dosen't mater the style or angle as long as it is sharp and uniform.

I’ve shot both 11 degree and flat crowns with my 6 PPC benchrest rifles. I haven’t seen it makes any difference what shape the crown is as long as it’s burr free as to whether the rifle is accurate. A poor job of crowning though will make a barrel not shoot. The flat crown with a sharp edge at the bore is the most popular crown currently used in benchrest. It’s also the shortest lived crown and needs to be refreshed periodically because of cleaning rod wear.

The previous replies for the experts is 110% correct. But i have achieved good results recrowning by hand. Good lub eand slow down. It may take several attempts to obtain aceptable results. Pay for a single point crown.

Back