Current IBS rule question

W

Wildcatter

Current rule requires how much time between targets for the same relay in 5 shot group?

We are not getting anywhere near that time at the current nationals it's a pain!!

There should be 30 min from cease fire to when you are back on the line. Sometimes a RO will push that and it ends up being shorter. If it is a problem realm to the RO or a referee.

Usually if you let em know theyll drag it out. Theyre just trying to get it over with so people can get on the road and beat the heat

Current IBS rules

I think it should say a max of 30 mins., but if no one is reloading on the line then it should be a call of the match coordinator. 1 relay, full match gives you 2 hrs. down time
john

I think it should say a max of 30 mins., but if no one is reloading on the line then it should be a call of the match coordinator. 1 relay, full match gives you 2 hrs. down time
john
That isn't what the rule book says. Thes is a nationals and they don't go by the rules hello..

Read rule book section E, Time limits. It states MINIMUM of 30 minutes between events. Now, what is an EVENT?

I always want the thirty minutes in summer to allow my barrel time to cool.. A new barrel is a once per year purchase for me, If the match is rushing me to the point it cant cool off and no effort is made to slow it down, Ill leave out, the entry money lost will not replace a barrel in total cost.

Time Limits

I don't like to get into these discussions if I'm not present, but I shot the 3-Gun on Tuesday through Friday. I'm someone who is notoriously as "slow as molasses in January", so I ALWAYS look at my watch when the RO says "cease fire" so I know exactly how much time I have before I have to be back. Here is the rule out of the IBS rulebook:

E) Time Limits
For the first match of each day or the first match after a change of distance, fifteen
minutes shall be allowed for a ten shot match and ten minutes for a five shot match.
For all other matches twelve minutes shall be allowed for ten shot matches and
seven minutes for five shot matches. Not less than 30 minutes shall be allowed
between the end of a relay of one event and the start of the same relay of the next
event.
There shall be no exception to the requirement that all competitors shall
complete their string of fire within the time allotted. At all Registered Tournaments,
the time limits shall be determined by a timer calibrated in seconds. Each time a relay
is stopped for an emergency, one extra minute shall be added to the time limit.

I believe that the bolded section above is what we're talking about... In the case of this use of the word "event" in this context, "event" means "match", as in "Match 1", Match 2", etc...

At NO time in ANY aggregate on Tuesday through Friday did we receive LESS than the required 30 minutes! I agree that 30 minutes keeps some of us hopping, but the rule WAS followed. Remember this...that 30 minutes includes your setup time at the bench; in other words, you need to be ready to shoot in 30 minutes. "Wildcatter", I don't know who you are, but if you would like to speak about this offline, I would be glad to do so. You can reach me at harshman AT lvc DOT edu, or at (seven-one-seven) nine-two-six two-four-seven-seven. There were enough of the IBS Group Committee members there that we would have said something if this time limit was being violated.

Kent Harshman

Last edited:
Kent, well that should clear everything up as simple as it is... by the way congratulations for past week ...George.....o&o

I have done the same thing Kent does a hundred times, or more.
"Cease fire", check the clock and know I have 30 minutes to clean, load, and hear "Commence fire". At WWCCA and the time constraints put on the range because of the close proximity of a church and the 10:00 AM start, range personnel have to keep an eye on the clock in order to complete the activities of the day. Three relays is perfect for the shooter. The other two relays have seven minutes each to shoot and the three target crew scrambles of about five minutes each keep the 30 minute minimum easily maintained.

Incidentally, this is why I have said that having three relays doesn't extend the time spent on the range any time at all. I better not say any more than that.

Last edited:
I am not sure who the original poster is....no real name...

ANYWAY. It would be FAR more effective to speak to a referee or Range Office or IBS officer in attendance at the match you are complaining about - instead of posting on br.com and hoping for something to happen.

Jeff Stover
IBS President

Back