crazy savage

lriner

I have a 223 lrpv that shoots .3's and .4's.Groups Bruno's 57g. even better.(wish they still made .224's)___but,at 50 yards,sighted in,with the cross hairs on the center of the target,with the bolt pulled,you cannot see the point of impact looking through the bore.POI is 2 in. out of veiw at 5 o'clock.It shoots so low I had to shim the rear scope mount just to sight in.Any idea what's happening?A rifle that groups like this thing and the bullet flight is not the same direction the barrel is pionted is crazy.I sent it to Savage and in all fairness they bent over backwards for me carring it to the range 3 times but really didn't have the means to address my problem.Joe De'grande with customer service told me he would screw another barrel on it in a heart beat but couldn't guaranty that the new barrel would shoot as good as the old barrel.At this point,I thought I might be crazy,so I told him to send it back.Took it to the range,and same thing.I carried it to the local machine shop and told them to cut the barrel off 2 inches and recrown it.Can't hurt it.Haven't gotten it back yet.Any ideas?Anyone ever seen this before? Any input would be very appreciated.Thanks---Lynn

ever seen those large barrel straightening presses savage uses. its amazing some of them shoot as well as they do.

I've got a savage 12LRPV in 223 and it's a bug holer,straight out of the box, just a touch of work on the accu-trigger, 25.0-25.3 grs of Vitv N133 and a fowler 52 gr or sierra 53 or a berger 52 (all flat base) lapua brass and it likes either fed 205gm or rem 7 1/2 primers, it shot best with bullet about .025-.030 off of seated with the bolt measurement, tryed both sierra and berger 64-80 gr bullets @ 100yards and never got it to shoot worth a damn even tho several old timers said with that twist it should,,,,,, go figure

the wind is my friend

DD

This gun bug holes,just not where it's pointed.Looking through the bore at 50 yds. on a twelve inch target ,the point of impact is not in the field of view.I wonder if alinwa really believes the barrel is crooked or he just does not like an ugly gun!!!!but thanks for the info.Lynn

Savage

Either the barrel or the receiver is crooked!

Suggest you shoot out the factory barrel and then address the problem when you rebarrel.

A 3/8" facrory 223 is a real prize, Enjoy it.

Paul Dorsey

Savage pointing East and shooting West..

Lynn:

More factory barrels are as you described than not. Some to a more and some to a lessor degree. Shoot it and enjoy it.

I have a couple of questions?

Is your primer strike centered in the primer?

If you were to take a machinist square and check a fired case head turning the case checking for out of square barrel alignment. Remember a floating bolthead will compensated for some mis alignment.

If you have the barrel off the gun you canpoint it toward a light or white surface. Look down the bore and turn the barrel. The hole spot will visabilly move on a bent barrel. The shape of the hole will change from round to egg shaped if the bore is drilled crooked.

I suggest after you shoot this barrel out that you have your action checked, and rebarrel with a high quality aftermarket barrel.

Rustystud

Last edited:
Shoot it

I agree with everyone else; shoot it and enjoy it. When you burn that barrel out, do what Rustystud recommended.
Chino69

Thanks guys.The barrel is at the machine shop and I'm cutting 2 inches off.The thing is terribly nose heavy anyway.And all I've needed any way was an excuse to send it to PacNor and have it barreled in a 223AI.I have a rblp savage action now at PacNor being barreled in a 22BR-14twist.I sure appreciate ya'lls info and time.Lynn

lriner,

A buddy of mine has 12lrpv in 22-250. Your findings are very similar to his. His action was bent, you could actually take the stock off and hold a straight edge on one side of the action and see light through the center, put the straight edge on the other side it rocked in the middle ! The rifle was returned to Savage and came back with a new action.

--------------------Jeff

Brings back a memory (Good one)

Just wanted to chime in and say that Joe De'grande at Savage is a great guy. He worked with me years ago on a bent firing pin on a 110 in 30-06. Brought a smile to my face to hear his name again. I was very impressed with the customer service... especially on a rifle I bought used... Savage didnt make a dime on me on that rifle.... but they have on a couple since :)

Dave

Ugly is as ugly does Lynn, I've got nothing against Savage rifles. I've been recommending them to hunters who want inexpensive accuracy for 15yrs. I think your odds of making a bolt-together 400yd rifle are greatest when starting with the Savage platform.

I wasn't joking about the barrel being bent. What continues to surprise me is the number of people who think that barrels are automatically "straight". Try to bore and ream a straight hole 26 inches long through a steel bar!

I think your barrel is crooked.

I do not think your action has anything to do with it..........???? .........I can't even visualize how you'd know by looking through the bore.

Sounds like it shoots great.

I think there's no problem.

:)

al

barrel

I wasn't joking about the barrel being bent. What continues to surprise me is the number of people who think that barrels are automatically "straight". Try to bore and ream a straight hole 26 inches long through a steel bar!

I do not think your action has anything to do with it..........???? .........I can't even visualize how you'd know by looking through the bore.

I think there's no problem.

I agree.

Bent a bit...........

Thanks guys.The barrel is at the machine shop and I'm cutting 2 inches off.The thing is terribly nose heavy anyway.And all I've needed any way was an excuse to send it to PacNor and have it barreled in a 223AI.I have a rblp savage action now at PacNor being barreled in a 22BR-14twist.I sure appreciate ya'lls info and time.Lynn

You'll be happy with the PacNor tubes.... 7 of the last PacNor's I've bought have been EVERY bit as I expected from a QUALITY barrel maker..:)

Unless "other" work is being done, you don't have to send your Savage off to rebarrel.....? You can do it yourself and save a fair amount of coinage...

I looked through one Sav .223 barrel and was the first tube I could SEE the egg shape as this barrel was crooked.... Run-out was somewhere around .020 on indications at both ends of the tube..... It shot very well though in factory trim. This tube is 24" long now and is a 22BR...Still shoots darn good!.. And still a bit crooked..

Enjoy the custom tubes.... Very addictive!

cale

I have a 223 lrpv that shoots .3's and .4's.Groups Bruno's 57g. even better.(wish they still made .224's)___but,at 50 yards,sighted in,with the cross hairs on the center of the target,with the bolt pulled,you cannot see the point of impact looking through the bore.POI is 2 in. out of veiw at 5 o'clock.It shoots so low I had to shim the rear scope mount just to sight in.Any idea what's happening?A rifle that groups like this thing and the bullet flight is not the same direction the barrel is pionted is crazy.I sent it to Savage and in all fairness they bent over backwards for me carring it to the range 3 times but really didn't have the means to address my problem.Joe De'grande with customer service told me he would screw another barrel on it in a heart beat but couldn't guaranty that the new barrel would shoot as good as the old barrel.At this point,I thought I might be crazy,so I told him to send it back.Took it to the range,and same thing.I carried it to the local machine shop and told them to cut the barrel off 2 inches and recrown it.Can't hurt it.Haven't gotten it back yet.Any ideas?Anyone ever seen this before? Any input would be very appreciated.Thanks---Lynn

I've seen this a number of times.
The problem is that the scope mount holes are not in line with the barrel.
The solution is quite simple. Purchase the Burris Signature Zee rings and a set of the offset inserts.
You can read about the rings and inserts here
http://www.snipercentral.com/burrismounts.htm

Barrel bent

I have four barrels for my 52D, and all but one is straight. The best shooter is the one the sags and I must shim the scope to see the POI. The crooked barrel is a factory CM. I suggest you shim the scope and shoot it until you wear it out.

Having difficulty comunicating

1. :confused:
Ugly is as ugly does Lynn, I've got nothing against Savage rifles. I've been recommending them to hunters who want inexpensive accuracy for 15yrs. I think your odds of making a bolt-together 400yd rifle are greatest when starting with the Savage platform.

Thanks for responding Al........I'm having a hard time explaining my problem,as I did with Savage...We have 3 (1 1/2"x 3",1 1/2"x6",1 1/2" x 12")
steel plates @ 200 yds.We paint them black and hang golf balls 18" in front of them.With this savage on the bags, bolt pulled,cross hairs on golf ball.Look through bore,just trees above and behind dirt backstop.Look through scope,cross hairs on golf ball,insert bolt,insert carrtridge,look through scope,ah golf ball.Pull trigger,golf ball gone.Pull bolt,look through scope putting cross hairs where golf ball was,look through bore,nothing but trees high left of back stop.Can repeat again and again and again.I know you guys know what your talking about but it seems a gun that far out of kelter if it was a bent barrel it would be somewhat visible,and how is it we go nuts on case prep,bullet and powder selection,bullet seating,maticulous measures and a rifle this far out of whack and still shoot?
I know it shoots really good ,but it drives me crazy because it ain't right.And that is what we do isn't it,try it as right as possible.
I believe Rusty asked if the primer strike was centered...Some are some aren't.And as for as a machinist square,I don't even know what one looks like.I'm just an old chicken grower mainly with a two pound shop hammer and channellocks.Thanks again guys.I'm listening...Lynn
:)

al

You would be a lot better off leaving the bolt in the rifle. Very interesting but I have a hard time seeing that as a problem. LOL Kenny

Lynn,

You're being perfectly clear.

You're NOT having trouble communicating.

I HEAR YOU :):):) loud and clear.

It aint a problem!

Let it be.

al

When you look through the barrel you essentially just line up the chamber end with the muzzle and use those points as reference.

When the bullet exits the barrel it heads off in a direction controlled not by the whole length of the barrel but just the last little piece of the barrel.

If the barrel has a slow steady curve in the bore what you see with your eye when looking through it will not be the same as where the bullet heads upon exit. The last little bit of the barrel could be pointing in a different direction to the rest of the barrel that you see when eyeballing it.

The difference doesn't need to be much af an angle change to amount to quite a big difference in point of impact.

If you had a straight barrel but crooked scope mounts or action you'd still see a proper boresight image when looking through the scope and then barrel it would just take a lot of scope adjustment or adjustable mounts to get it sighted in.

Like the others have said, it isn't a problem anywhere but in your head.

Back