Crawfish

D

Don Stith

Is there a place that has info on motels near the Jacksonville range?
I am not getting responses from e-mails sent to the rangemaster/match director
Don

Don,
Bills email is normally broken - but his email at work is good.
Try this one and see - if not email me and I will help!
william.l.smith2@navy.mil

There are tons of places to stay close to the range.
Doug

Ernie,
I might be traveling solo this time. Bear's got a new buddy, Max, who outweighs him by 10+ lbs at 10 months old. He's a good boy, but I can't be sure if he'll behave as well as Bear at the match while I'm shooting:eek: The only way I'll be able to bring them is if my wife or daughter travels with me this year. I'm working on it.;)
Todd

Hotels

Directions To Gateway Rifle and Pistol Club
The Crawfish Shoot

1. Coming South on I-95:

Take the exit onto I-295 South. Continue South on I-295 to Exit 16 onto 103rd Street (State Road 134). At the end of the ramp turn right and head west to Old Middleburg Road (1.4 miles) on RIGHT. Make a right turn onto Old Middleburg Road and travel 8 blocks to Noroad Rd. Turn left here and continue on to Zambito Rd. where you will make a right hand turn. This will take you directly to the club.

2. Coming from the West via I-10 (or US 1- both these highways intersect I-295 and are north of the range).
a. Short Cut: on I-10 East exit at Chaffee Road (Exit 351); make a left hand turn (there’s a Winn Dixie there). You will cross Normandy Blvd. Go to the next light. That’s 103rd Street (distance 4 miles) and make a LEFT hand turn go to Old Middleburg Road (3.5 miles)(on the left, not the right, as there are two). Take a left hand turn and follow the above directions.
b. Simply take I-295 South off of I-10 Exit 356 and exit at 103rd Street (Exit 16)(to the right) and follow the above directions.

4. Coming from the south- I-95 North will intersect I-295 and you will have a 2-mile notice, as it is a left turn off I-95. Coming from the southwest, you can access 301 north of Ocala (I-75 exit 71) and pick up State Road 17 North.

All other hotels are 10-20 minutes from the range.

Phone Numbers:
Gateway- 904-771 293
Hospitality Inn- 904-777-5700 ( Exit 16)

Motel Addresses
Exit 16- 103rd St.
Hospitality Inn- 777-5700

Exit 10- Roosevelt Boulevard

Best Western Hotel and Suites-904-264-4466
Holiday Inn-904-264-9513
Comfort Inn- 904-644-4444

Exit 12

La Quinta- 904-778-9539
Country Inn and Suites- 904-772-7771
Red Roof Inn- 904-777-1000
Hampton Inn and Suites- 904-777-5313

The exit for the range is #16 on I-295. Exit #10 is the least congested at peak traffic (3-6 PM). On the plus side it is a few miles north of The Orange Park Mall and about 100 restaurants. Exit 12, 4 miles south of the range has the most motels (I’ve only listed a few) and has great restaurants within walking distance from many motels. Downside: it’s heavily congested between 4-5:50 PM. If it were me, I go Exit 10 and the Holiday Inn for economy and accessibility or Exit 12 & the Red Roof Inn..

Don, this is somewhat dated- Iwould strongly suggest the Hospitality Inn as you would be 10 minutes from the range with no traffic.
Bob Pekaar

Bob
Thanks a lot. Been a few years since I was down there, and being at least partially senile, could not remember where we used to stay. Was a little foggy on directions too.
Hope you will be around to visit with.
Don

I appreciate Bob's response to the query about where to stay for the shoot since I have no home computer at the present. I went out searching for the best rates this weekend and found that the Hospitality Inn, mentioned above seems to have the highest rate, $59.95 per night. The Super 8 at exit 12 on I-295 South is $44.95 to $49.95, 904-777-1571 and is directly behind a Denny's resturant. The LaQuinta Inn is adjacent to the Super 8 and is the cheapest with rates from $35 to $38 per night. All have the availability of 1st floor drive-up rooms. Bob is more than correct about the resturants there at exit 12, Longhorn Steak, Applebees, Olive Garden, Panera Bread, China Buffet, Red Lobster and more in the Mall area. We are looking forward to a good shoot this year and it seems that Spring is finally arriving. Pre-registration is not required but I would like to get a head count so I know how much Shrimp and Crawfish to order, rest assured there will be all you care to eat and then some. We will have door prizes and beautiful "Wood" for the winners. Stand-by for more info on the forum. Phone numbers for me are, home,904-276-1008, Work, 904-790-6112, Cell, 904-534-1219.

Res. made

I will be there Friday morning. If anyone is going to stay at the LaQuinta, try to get a room that is not facing the freeway. There is a freeway on ramp out in front of the LaQuinta, and there are alot of vehicles, heavy on the throttle going up the ramp. DJB in Wi

Great Accommondations!

I plan to get to the Crawfish around 14:00 on Thursday so I can get checked in to the Presidential Suite before someone else grabs it.
(The Accommodations are Great!)
If anyone comes down on Thursday you are welcome to unload some of your equipment before heading to a lesser quality sleeping accommodations.
The Range usually shuts down around 18:00 so if the gates are closed just walk in and look me up and I will open the gate for you.
(I will be the Guy watching the Sunset on the Suite’s Veranda – You can probably not miss me!)
If you can not find me there - check out the Hot Tub in the fitness center. ~ :D

See You All There!
Doug

Last edited by a moderator:
La Quinta

I will be there Friday morning. If anyone is going to stay at the LaQuinta, try to get a room that is not facing the freeway. There is a freeway on ramp out in front of the LaQuinta, and there are alot of vehicles, heavy on the throttle going up the ramp. DJB in Wi
None of the rooms face I295 South. The hotel is located behind another hotel and the room windows face State Road 17. You want a room to the far side to escape the inescapable noise- a room in the direction of Orange Park Mall.I hope your a good driver as your going to have to cross 6 lanes of traffic coming back and make a U turn, unless it's after 6 PM.

LaQuinta & 295

Hi Bob... I know there is more then one LaQuinta in Jacksonville, and I have to believe that you are thinking of one of the others, where I have not stayed. If you google 8555 Blanding Blvd, there is the LaQuinta Inn, where I have stayed, and you will see a map with the LaQuinta inn right off of 295. This is the one that I am talking about. DJB

La Quinta

Hi Bob... I know there is more then one LaQuinta in Jacksonville, and I have to believe that you are thinking of one of the others, where I have not stayed. If you google 8555 Blanding Blvd, there is the LaQuinta Inn, where I have stayed, and you will see a map with the LaQuinta inn right off of 295. This is the one that I am talking about. DJB
I drive by there 5-6 x a week and never saw the La Quita on Blanding, I was referring to the one on State Road 17 (Roosevelt Blvd. one exit south) Anyway, hope to see you at the match. Don't forget it is on the 17th and 18th because of Easter.
BTW I295/Blanding has been voted the worst intersection in Jacksonville according to our local newpaper. Ya ever seen a six lane exit?

Back