Cowan Rest....Tragedy Hits Home

Joe

It is with great sadness that I post this message.

Last night, a senior student here at our school and enrolled in the Electronics program was shot and killed.
Scott Garlick was working at a local subway when a gunman entered through the back door in an apparant attempted robbery. He shot and killed Scott, injured another worker, and shot and killed killed an elderly gentleman as he was fleeing the neighborhood. The elderly man was simply at the curbside getting his mail. Scott was the nephew of one of our Food Service instructors.

Grief counselors are available today for our population of 1,100 students and staff to help deal with this senseless tragedy.

Scott was by all accounts an outstanding young man who
was active in SkillsUSA as afternoon vice-president and a recent SkillsUSA competitor at the state level.
Scott was also the Senior of the Year award winner in the Electronics program for the school year 2008-2009.

Why am I telling you?
The students of the Precision Machining program have already stepped up and offered any amount of money needed, with a minimum of $1,000.00 to help the family with final expenses for Scott. If there is no monitary need for the family, we will be organizing at the very least a scholorship in Scotts' name here at the school for higher education.

This type of help from my students would not be possible without you and your continued support of the benchrest project here at the G.A.C.T.C. and the Precision Machining program. You are teaching young people something that is all but gone in todays' youth, and most precious,.......selflessness.

Thank You
Joe Cowan

I'm sorry to hear that

Another fine young person taken by vermin. I'd bet money if he is ever caught, he will be known to law enforcement, drug user, stolen gun, and a record for violence going way back. Probably released early from prison by some liberal judge.
We had an attack like what you said, except our killer used a knife. He took away on of our finest young business men we had. This happened in Cordele Ga within 100 yards from the police station. Guy was out of prison less than 24 hours.
Again, sorry to hear this.

Very Sad

Joe, Sorry to hear of such a tragedy. Scott, his family and all those who knew him will be in our prayers.

God Bless

Les & Carrie

Altoona ABC TV News Coverage

Shooter and Victims Identified In Monday's Deadly Shootings In Altoona
Apr 07, 2009

Police have charged Nicholas A. Horner of Altoona with two counts of criminal homicide, robbery and criminal attempt of homicide for the shootings late Monday afternoon in the Eldorado area.

Altoona police claim Horners demanded money from 19-year-old Scott Garlick who was working at the Subway shop along 58th Street about 5 pm Monday.
A second employee now identified as Michele Petty was hot in the hip and pelvic area.

Horner then demanded money from another Subway employee who handed over the cash in a Subway bag.

Police say Horner then ran out the back to the area of the 6000 block of Maryland Avenue, where he shot and killed 64-year-old Raymond E. Williams. Williams was checking his mail from his apartment at 6005 Maryland Ave.

Horner was apprehended by police as he was running through the apartment complex parking lot.

A Subway bag with money in it was reportedly found in Horner's right front pants pocket, he also had bloody pieces of u.s. mail addressed to Raymond Williams.

Horner is being held without bond.

Joe:

You kindly helped me when I needed a new mariner wheel for my Bald Eagle rest. Is there a PayPal account where I can donate in Scott's memory?

Pete

Pete
Donations are being accepted athte school and are all being used to start up a scholarship in Scotts' name.
You could send them t o me at the school address, payable to G.A.C.T.C. General Fund.

Greater Altoona C.T.C.
C/O Joe Cowan
1500 4th Ave
Altoona, Pa. 16602

Thank You

Back