Counter bore Rimfire Benchrest Barrel

M

migtigcnc

I just picked up a Custom Rimfire Rifle built by Chet Amick.
I took the Tuner off to clean and just look a the crown and the barrel has a counter bore recces about a .500" deep and .700"
diameter with a flat bottom. Has anyone seen this done before?
Just curious.

Winchester started this on their 52E's and later Model 70 targets. They claimed it improved accuracy. I think it was more of a marketing ploy than anything. I have to believe if someone was looking for the best place to crown a barrel, it would be much easier just to cut it where needed and crown conventionally.
Steve

Winchester started this on their 52E's and later Model 70 targets. They claimed it improved accuracy. I think it was more of a marketing ploy than anything. I have to believe if someone was looking for the best place to crown a barrel, it would be much easier just to cut it where needed and crown conventionally.
Steve

Yes, maybe, but not on sporter barrels currently in vogue.

History repeats

Back in the late 60's and early 70's several on our local smiths would counter bore to refresh the crowns. They would do it every year. Some had the crown set back as much as 2". This way they could keep their original site radius. It also helped the gun shoot better.

BR4-1.jpg

My .22's crown is 11 inches below the muzzle at the bottom of a 0.6" counterbore.

Counterbored barrels go back to the 19th century in Germany (or so I am told be reliable gun historians). Commonly called "back bored"

Brent

Back