Cooper Model 22 22-250 load info

R

rredmann

I have a Cooper model 22 that i just had a Phoenix stock fit to it. My question is if anyone has some load info to share. I have been shooting winchester brass, fed match primers, 50gr blitzkings and Reloader 15. I have tried a few other bullets and powders but ussually end up with the above combo. the seating depth/ or distance to the lands is quite far also. The blitzking may have about .100" in the case besides the boattail. OAL 2.50 with about .020" from the lands.

Thanks.

Before my brother shot out the barrel on my last .22-250 (Rem 700V) I was using a healthy dose of RL-15 and 50 gr Ballistic Tips in it. The rifle still shot acceptably for prairie dogs, but I'd had to reduce the powder charge because the throat had gotten rougher than an old dirt road. Some rifles like or at least don't mind a 20 or even 30 thou jump to the rifling while others are very touchy. One thing that you might try is a 50 or 55 gr flatbase bullet so that you can get to the rifling and still have enough bullet shank in the neck for security. If it's just a matter of taking the ammunition to the range 0.10" of bullet shank in the neck is okay, but if you plan on bouncing around on rough roads you might find a mess when you open the ammo boxes up. Don't ask how I know.

A .22-250 can and will shoot out a barrel fairly quickly, so if you have a load that will do what needs to be done call it good. You can shoot out a barrel searching for the "perfect load". If a rifle will produce reliable 1/2" to 5/8" five shot groups and your ability allows it there are hardly any marmots or prairie dogs that will notice that it's not shooting 1/4" groups. Tiny little groups sound great, but the critters can't tell while sailing through the air.

.22-250 load.............

Hornady 53 FBHP
H-414, 39-41.5 gr. Work up to it.
Win WLR or REM 91/2
WIN Brass.
12 twist barrel.

Prairie dogs @ 500 didn't know what was going on, friends just kept lying down for naps.

Tiring day.

Rred -

Howdy !

For the several .22-250s I've owned/loaded for ( Rem, Win, Ruger, Mauser; customs ), my best results were obtained w/ powders a tad slower than IMR4064.

I'm a big fan of " high load density " , and wanted to keep the case' pretty full; along w/ safe pressure, good vel; and great accuracy.
WW760 and H414 ( same stuff ) seemed to work the best for 50-55gr bullets shot from my nominal 24" barrels.
I liked the FED LR Magnum Match primer, when shooting powders of this burn rate range.

For 60-63s, I went w/ use of IMR 4350.

On groundhogs, Hornady .224" calibre 55SX performed superbly when shot from a 1-14.

I don't own a .22-250 right now. If I did, I would try IMR4007, VV155 & VV160.

Regards,
.357Mag

got rem vssf & a savage 12 RBLP, both 26 in barrels, R-P, FC or Win brass, fed 210 or wlr primer, most any 50-55 gr bullet, powder,,, H380, H4895, IMR 4064, 22-250 will smoke a barrel if in dogtown, but my rem has never been shot over 5 shots without cooling time ,, kill lots of whitetails and tons of paper,,, shot count @ 3K and still just as tight of groups as the first day(I bought new), the savage, bought used, 1K + rounds since it hit my safe & groups just as tight,,,,,,secret,,,,,,,,,,, cool between groups, coated bullets & clean barrel,,,,,

the wind is my friend,,,,,,,,,,,,,

DD

My Cooper 22/250 thrives on 50 gr Nosler ballistic tips and 35.3 grs or H4895 - this combo gives a chronographed speed of 3820 from my rifle and good brass life. Work up to it, it is nearing the top of the recommended charge for this combo.

drover

Back