Cooling the barrel

I've never been involved in anything that required a barrel cooler. I have had a few barrels that got a bit hot and seemed to shoot much more worser on hot days....but those barrels didn't shoot good enough to win on their best day. Yes, this is simply an opinion but the opposite opinion causes activity beyond simplicity.

There are any number of suppliers of small liquid nitrogen containers that can be rigged with an extension for a chamber.
Quick shot, a few minutes to allow it to self clear, done.

For what its worth, I carry a fan run by the same batteries used in power tools to keep myself cool. The last few matches this year I was positioning it to blow lengthwise down the rifle before the moving air got to me. It kept me comfy and cooled the barrel down a LOT between matches.

Two birds one stone.

For what its worth, I carry a fan run by the same batteries used in power tools to keep myself cool. The last few matches this year I was positioning it to blow lengthwise down the rifle before the moving air got to me. It kept me comfy and cooled the barrel down a LOT between matches.

Two birds one stone.

Same here. Been doing that since the 2014 season. No more mirage shields on any of my rifles.

There are any number of suppliers of small liquid nitrogen containers that can be rigged with an extension for a chamber.
Quick shot, a few minutes to allow it to self clear, done.

When I worked at the Super Collider we used liquid nitrogen and liquid helium to cool the magnets. Liquid nitrogen is about -321 F and liquid helium is -452. We used liquid nitrogen as the starter and finished with liquid helium. Do you really want to introduce that dramatic a change in temperature into the chamber of your gun. I know they use cryo treatment to relieve the stress in barrel blanks but I dunno.

In the '80's and '90's we did a lot of research on cryogenics at the Metallurgical Lab in Rochester for Kodak. Works great for stress relieving AND tempering. Lengthens the cutting life in drill bits too.

When I worked at the Super Collider we used liquid nitrogen and liquid helium to cool the magnets. Liquid nitrogen is about -321 F and liquid helium is -452. We used liquid nitrogen as the starter and finished with liquid helium. Do you really want to introduce that dramatic a change in temperature into the chamber of your gun. I know they use cryo treatment to relieve the stress in barrel blanks but I dunno.

These are good for very l;ow temps.

CO2 is better at removing heat.

The specific heat of CO2 is higher per unit weight (higher atomic mass).

It also is only about -109 F thus not nearly cold enough to make metal superconducting.

I understand but that was not the particular reference, would not want to screw with imersion of liquid nitrogen.
The containers I saw had a trigger allow for a shot. Probably allow for something in the throat in what ultimately is a gaseous state, i.e. Better than Co2.
That said, I've shot aggs in the 90's and tend to run groups, particularly at 200 yds and never thought a barrel got THAT hot.

I understand but that was not the particular reference, would not want to screw with imersion of liquid nitrogen.
The containers I saw had a trigger allow for a shot. Probably allow for something in the throat in what ultimately is a gaseous state, i.e. Better than Co2.
That said, I've shot aggs in the 90's and tend to run groups, particularly at 200 yds and never thought a barrel got THAT hot.

OK, I see what you meant. I noticed when I was fire forming brass or doing load development ALA Tony Boyer that my barrel got fairly hot. Just been wondering about keeping the barrel at a more moderate temperature when doing those exercises. That said, I never measured the temperature of the barrel so I 'm talking about something without having any actual data to reference. Better just shut my mouth until I capture some data.

Most of us have an old barrel, Use it to fireform, heat not a problem, and saves your good barrel.

Butch, I am not "Most of us" yet. I finally bought my own reamer but had Larry Baggett do two barrels for me with it. So, I don"t have any old barrels yet for fire forming. I've got two Kreiger 6mm LV blanks on my shelf waiting for me to screw up enough courage and knowledge to do them. Just replaced the oil in the headstock and gear box of the used lathe I bought and it sounds so much better. I have a number of 18" drops of barrel that I got from Shilen. I'm going to drill a .237 or so hole in them and then practice doing the tenon and chamber work to see how well I understand the process. So, if I shoot enough practice I may have an "old" barrel soon.

KISS Method

Take a hand towel along, dip in cooler, wring out some, lay on barrel after cleaning. Done

Later
Dave

Did that once with a wet towel at Denton. Left it on and fired. It snowed quite a bit and the bullet impacted at the bottom of the record target.
YeaH, i SHOULD HAVE REMOVED IT.

Did that once with a wet towel at Denton. Left it on and fired. It snowed quite a bit and the bullet impacted at the bottom of the record target.
YeaH, i SHOULD HAVE REMOVED IT.

Sorry I didn't put that in my post Butch?some folks need more direction..ha........Bet the fur flew.....?

Later
Dave

Congratulations, Dave Coots on making the World Team. I am sure that you and the other 11 members will do us proud. James Mock

Just for grins I bought the large and small barrel coolers this guy was selling as prototypes. The small one blew air less than I could with my mouth. The larger one was better but the air flow didn't seem that significant. Well, I've wasted money on worse things. The two of them cost me about the price of a sizer die so it wasn't too bad.

Back