Convoluted polishing wheel

dokey

Has anyone had any experience using a soft , fine abrasive Convoluted polishing wheels on a barrel before bluing? I would like to know what type of finish it leaves. I know they're made by 3M , Norton, and others, and are offered in soft, medium and hard variations, with fine, medium, and coarse abrasive

Last edited:
We use Norton aluminum oxide soft wheels for de burring. Some of the old timers call them "horse hair wheels". They are surprisingly aggressive and it is very easy to round edges and dish holes. I have used the fine Silicon carbide to remove rust and smooth up rough edges and they leave a somewhat shiny finish. They don't work very well on flat surfaces, seem to leave a grainy finish. Better on hardened parts.

Having said that, there are a lot of industrial manufacturers that finish parts with Scotchbrite abrasives in some form or another. If you want to try one, I would suggest trying the fine, hard silicon carbide. If you don't like it for bluing prep, you will probably find it useful just for general de-burring, breaking sharp edges, etc.

Scott

Scott, what I'm trying to achieve is the finish Winchester put on the pre 64 70's. I'm trying to blend in rusted and pitted areas that I've draw filed and polished smooth but don't want to do the whole barrel. I've tried fine emery, 400 wet & dry and even a fine stainless carding wheel but can't quite achieve the desires finish I'm looking for

I wish I could be more help. I'm not very optimistic about the soft abrasive wheels for blending. It sound as though you are looking for a slight satin finish. I have seen pre 64s with either a high polish or a satin that looks like rust blue, although I don't think it is. Hopefully someone with more experience in bluing prep will have a suggestion.

barrel polishing

I finally found a very fine soft convoluted polishing wheel that gives me the results I was looking for

barrel polishing

I finally found a very fine soft convoluted polishing wheel that gives me the results I was looking for

whenever the terms 'convoluted' and 'abrasive' appear in a post, I expect it to be from/about vicvanb.

Is there a link to a specific wheel? I would like to try a fine grit one. Some seem to be pretty expensive...

Back