Considering Centerfire BR

linekin

I have been competing in rimfire br for a few years & have recently been contemplating cfbr.
Problem is I know very little about what its going to take to compete. Alls I really know is its IBS for score in the NE.
I'm a member of a club that shoots IBS & there are several mentors to lean on. I like these guys & they ain't gettin' any younger so I figured I might want to learn now.
I poke around on this & other cf forums but a lot is foreign to me. I have never reloaded a single round but am sure I can find plenty of help there.
What I'd really like to know is more about the supporting equipment to it all & its investment. i.e. press, dies, scales,this, that, & the other. Seems like there's a pretty significant investment in that alone. I realize that there's going to be multiple opinions on what works but maybe some insight would be helpful. I'd heard, aw you don't need all that, too buy everything you see. I'd like to buy "once" which would be a 1st for me!:)
Any insight would be appreciated.

Keith

If you are in Boothbay get together with Orland Bunker, David Steen, or Randy Jarvais they can give you the straight scoop. It is not cheap, but I feel serious rimfire competition costs as much or more and you have very little command over your loads.
Talk to Orland, he is a great person, great shooter and will give you the shirt off his back if needed to get a new shooter going.
Dick

Dick, Orland is partially responsible for the interest. Was sighting my deer rifle last month & was able to try one of his HBR's. Shot 3 or 4 X's, of course! I should know better as aren't sighters always 10's or X's??
I shoot some with a bunch of the guys at LCRC so I know I can lean on them. Great group of guys.
Was just curious if I could get some info on the rest of the equipment needed to get an idea of whats it gonna take.
Thanks for the response.

Keith

While we would love to have you as a centerfire/group shooter, starting with centerfire/score would probably be a smoother start. Hey, you can shoot centerfire and buy Christmas for the price of rimfire ammo and the hunt for ammo that works now!

welcome!

Two years ago I was totally new to bench rest shooting, though a long time shooter and reloader. Went to the Williamsport 1,000 yard bench rest school, took out a second mortgage on my house (almost) and got into 1,000 yard BR. Just buying all the recommended reloading equipment was a pricey endeavor, but I love it. Now I am venturing into short range BR. Another whole new learning experience, but I am lucky to have met a lot of BR shooters and am in easy driving distance of Bob White at The Shooters Corner. I hope to pick up a change barrel 6PPC / 30 BR from him next week and right now I am trying to decide on the scope for it.

Well, at least I have the miriad of things that I bought for 1000 yard that I can use for 100/200/300. Rest, Bags, Umbrella, Mirage Shields, Flags, Cartridge holders and timer, drummers throne, LabRadar chrono, Thermometer, Humidity Gauge, Bench Mat, rechargeable barrel fan, spoting scope and tripod, you get it - My left hand is weary (From writing checks) :)

Bob

I have learned a lot from both of those books, also recommended to me early on. Seems too like the more I read, the more I spend! :cool:

Go 6 power Keith:

You are welcome to use my rifle till you find out if you actually want to do it. All you'll need to do is buy the components. I just set back a good barrel that shoots .0's. you can use my dies and brass as well.

PM or email me to discuss more.

Pete

You may want to buy Tony Boyer's "The Book Of Rifle Accuracy". Also recommended is Mike Ratigan's book "Extreme Rifle Accuracy".

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Lee, I should do just that, but I've always enjoyed learning hands on with others. I seem to understand better that way, & if I have questions they can most likely be answered.
I will look for the books as well. Thanks

Keith

While we would love to have you as a centerfire/group shooter, starting with centerfire/score would probably be a smoother start. Hey, you can shoot centerfire and buy Christmas for the price of rimfire ammo and the hunt for ammo that works now!

welcome!

Jerry, I hear ya on the rimfire ammo thing. It is what it is. I don't have any intention of giving it up, I'd just like to learn a bit about cfbr. There's a great group of guys I can lean on now so I'd better do it.
Thanks

Keith

You are welcome to use my rifle till you find out if you actually want to do it. All you'll need to do is buy the components. I just set back a good barrel that shoots .0's. you can use my dies and brass as well.

Pete

Thanks Pete! ...but I really dislike borrowing other people's stuff. Of course, if you were present, that's a different story. I always worry about somehow frigging something up!
Haven't really considered what class to shoot in. I prefer our sporter class & the 6.5 power though so it would make sense to shoot 6 power in cf. But I don't know.
I'll be in touch though.

Hey, you staying up here this winter or are you headed south?

Keith

Last edited:
I see these reloading kits all the time & am guessing they aren't one's best route for this discipline. Is that correct?
By that I mean is one better off buying individual components for reloading?
Keith

Just understand something, once you shoot SRBR, you will be hooked, you will buy and buy and sell and sell, and you will NEVER be satisfied. You think that RFSB is graby, you have never shot SRBR. Don't misunderstand me, I love the sport, but the weak, oh never mind. EH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm already gone

Thanks Pete! ...but I really dislike borrowing other people's stuff. Of course, if you were present, that's a different story. I always worry about somehow frigging something up!
Haven't really considered what class to shoot in. I prefer our sporter class & the 6.5 power though so it would make sense to shoot 6 power in cf. But I don't know.
I'll be in touch though.

Hey, you staying up here this winter or are you headed south?

Keith

The last thing in the world I'd worry about is your friggin my rifle up. It's nothing fancy but it do shoot. The reason I suggested the 6 power is because you understand it and are good at it already. It would be an easy transition for you I think.

Something to consider; 30 cal rounds cost around 50 cents each. I usually shoot around 70 per match and I spend probably 4 hours putting 100 of them together. Just sayin.

I wish you luck with it if you do it. Me, I may shoot a few CF events this summer but I still prefer the .22's. Different animal, as you know but a lot easier to shoot and a lot more shooting at each match. IBS spends all day shooting 25 record shots, as I'm sure you know. Only thing I can think of that's less is the 1000 yd stuff. 10 shot deal for some folks I'm told.

Last edited:
Careful....

Pete

Careful Keith, it's a trap! I fell for the same ploy in 1995. Carl Baker and the late Al Feldman were more than happy to meet me at a match and put a ready-to-go rifle I'm my hands. One of them one week, and the other the next. I didn't stand a fightin' chance I tell ya. Of course I wouldn't change a thing, even if I could......the game is awesome. It can be many things to many different people, it just depends on what you're looking for and how serious you want to get. If you're a born competitor though the serious meter will be pegged early on and stay there, probably for a very long time.

I used someone else's rifle the first time I shot 1,000 yard and the first time I saw a little round Clay Bird go into dust at 1,043 yards, I was hooked.

Bob

linekin

Give me a call. I started fresh in 2002 and although I had reloaded before, I had no benchrest equipment. From experience, I can provide some insight as to what you need vs what you will want. :)

My number is four7four, eight56one. I am home most days but no calls after 8:30pm.

Careful Keith, it's a trap! I fell for the same ploy in 1995. Carl Baker and the late Al Feldman were more than happy to meet me at a match and put a ready-to-go rifle I'm my hands. One of them one week, and the other the next. I didn't stand a fightin' chance I tell ya. Of course I wouldn't change a thing, even if I could......the game is awesome. It can be many things to many different people, it just depends on what you're looking for and how serious you want to get. If you're a born competitor though the serious meter will be pegged early on and stay there, probably for a very long time.

Dave, I'm well aware of the trap! Its been done to me before & have trapped others myself! Its pretty easy to do if one has a competitive nature of any kind. I'm sure it will happen here too for me as I usually fall for things pretty easily.
I tend to take things a little less serious then maybe I should these days. I found that I began not enjoying myself taking things more serious than I should. I've learned to just enjoy the ride now.
I'm just looking to learn more about it while the opportunity exists. I'll enjoy that as much or more than the competition.

Keith

Bob, thanks for reminding me of the Shooters Corner, I've known about it but don't visit it often.
Anyhow, it looks like there's a lot of 6PPC's out there. As I understand it though shooting for score, I'd be better off with a 30BR.
I guess if the right platform is available, then the 6ppc can be converted? Meaning the bolt could be opened up or replaced? Obviously it would also need to be rebarreled too. Saw some what seemed to be some pretty reasonable guns that would seem to have a little room for doing that.
I know, I know.....buy once, cry once...

Randy, Jim, & Pete. Thanks. I will be in touch. Life's just gotten in the way the past couple days.

Keith

Back