Cone measuring gauge

liljoe

Does anybody have any plans for making a cone measuring gauge? I have checked the archives and found some pics of some but they are hard to see some of the important details. Especially since there have been so many old posts that have been deleted. I have pics of Mike Bryants and Jerry Sharretts. They both are very similar, and I will probably make copies of them.

Thanks

Joe Hynes

Joe all you need is a bushing, a steel ball and a depth mike. I use a steel bushing that slips over the tendon and is precision ground square at 2" long. A 7/8" diameter ball bearing is the perfect size. I use the same bushing to depth mike down to my headspace gage to set headspace.

IIRC Mark Spencer has built a gage if you want to go in that direction.

Hey thanks Al. I saw in another post that you use a ball to measure form, just wasn't sure what size it was. Larry does the same thing at the shoulder to measure the chamber length, without a head space gauge. I am in the process of making the sleeve to place over the tenon to measure from. I should find out what Mark has and go from there. Still a ways from being able to do any chambering yet. Still LOTS of items I need to do so.

Joe

Joe.....................................

Wouldn't take much to draw something up if I knew what dial gage you intended on using.

OR ya can twist Mark's arm an see if he has any sketches for the one he made.:D

We make simple stuff like that off the top of our head, no drawings necessary.

If ya need a steel ball let me know.

Barrel stub cone gauge,

............just cut the 60 degree cone, mill a slot on one side and match the gauge to a known good barrel cone and measure to the tenon shoulder along the milled groove. It helps IF you have a pin to insert in the cone and into the gauge to help keep it aligned. Mine happens to come out to 1.072" so when I cone for my barrels I can match the barrel cone depth presicely.

Attachments

• 100_1239.jpg
    100_1239.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 461
  • 100_1238.jpg
    100_1238.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 429
Last edited by a moderator:
headspace chambering gage

Just replace item #26 with a cone shaped anvil to match the angle you wish to copy. I let the patent maintenance fees run out on this due to the fact that it's too easy to duplicate and too many people INCORRECTLY state "You can make one for yourself as long as you don't sell it" ....one of those fictitious myths that so many uninformed people believe. I used to be one of them.:eek:
gunmaker
http://www.google.com/patents?id=ApcgAAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract&zoom=4&dq=device+for+measuring+headspace#PPA1,M1

Back