Cone breech

Wow. One whole post today. I apologize for having apparently upset some people here. Just used to investment sites that would burn hair off the heads of most people. Didn't realize the sensitivity; and for that I am sorry. Give me a chance to adjust!

Still not convinced + or - re cone breech. Will not return to the "Calfee" site. Not welcome there. Maybe not welcome here. Let me know, and I will go away. Still appreciate the advice from a few; and would like to hear more about cone breeching.

Thanks, Gerry

Sorry for the thread getting off track ,left coasters input sometimes is hard to ignor. I find it that either (slots or cone ) works just fine on a BR rifle,Look at the Equipment list on the PSL`s and ARA nationals ,indoor & outdoor ,99% of the Gorham built rifles have a cone breech, maybe that is why they want to say ",never ,but if I did ". It is quicker to do and you don`t have to have a milling machine to do it. The dry fireing is the big issue for most and is susceptable to damage your cone if it happens.

Now Slicky the gentleman is after sound advice so leave out the westcoast diatribe and Wilbur won't have to remove another post.
Gerry
As I said in my earlier response Calfee does it both ways but only coned if he shields it.The extractor cut rifles had 3 in the top 5 for sure.
It is hard to believe as a new shooter you would post that you bashed one of the worlds top rimfire gunsmiths then wanted him to answer your questions?
Sickster comes up with some good answers from time to time if you can sift through all of his code.
Lynn

________comes up with some good answers from time to time if you can sift through all of his code.

This is classic.

It is so easy to imagine a different name there.

Good one waterboy.

Gerry,

The only disadvantage to a coned breach is the mess it creates if you dry fire on it.
Otherwise, no disadvantage at all.
It definitely makes cleaning the breach much easier.
I have rifles set up both ways and wouldn't hesitate to have either in the future.

Sorry for the thread getting off track ,left coasters input sometimes is hard to ignor. I find it that either (slots or cone ) works just fine on a BR rifle,Look at the Equipment list on the PSL`s and ARA nationals ,indoor & outdoor ,99% of the Gorham built rifles have a cone breech, maybe that is why they want to say ",never ,but if I did ". It is quicker to do and you don`t have to have a milling machine to do it. The dry fireing is the big issue for most and is susceptable to damage your cone if it happens.

Hey slick, thanks. Just for the record; your new build....cone or extractor slots?

Gerry

Roger Brock has 2 Suhls and they will be slots, Richard is doing an wing safety Annie ,a Copperhead and he just finished a X-III and they are cone. I`m like Jeff and don`t see a big difference,none in performance only if an Idiot dry fires a cone you could damage the cone ,this has happened before the owner ever sees his new build,some one at the FFL that the new rifle was shipped to did it,so stupid things can happen even to the helpless!!

This is classic.

It is so easy to imagine a different name there.

Good one waterboy.

Gerry,

The only disadvantage to a coned breach is the mess it creates if you dry fire on it.
Otherwise, no disadvantage at all.
It definitely makes cleaning the breach much easier.
I have rifles set up both ways and wouldn't hesitate to have either in the future.[/QUOTE

Thanks Mr. Miller. Do you have the smith make a bore guide for cleaning rod? I don't think I'd like anything touching that thin metal rim, other than the shell itself. And what about metal compaction on that thin ridge after a couple thousand rounds? Case concentricity issues? Sorry if I'm a pain, but asking questions is one of the best ways to learn; and I always have to know the answer to that crazy question....Why?

Gerry

Thanks Mr. Miller. Do you have the smith make a bore guide for cleaning rod? I don't think I'd like anything touching that thin metal rim, other than the shell itself. And what about metal compaction on that thin ridge after a couple thousand rounds? Case concentricity issues? Sorry if I'm a pain, but asking questions is one of the best ways to learn; and I always have to know the answer to that crazy question....Why?

Gerry

It's not necessary to have the smith make the bore guide.
There are several very good options out there for every rimfire action.
Dan Killough has delrin guides that work very well.

Here's a picture of one of Gorham's cones. This chamber/barrel has at least 25,000 rounds through it.
You can see the extractor wear at about 5 o'clock in the pic.
Other than that, it looks as good as it did when Richard first cut it.

cone.jpg

Am I wrong thinking the firing pin should never be long enough to touch the barrel anyway?

With a cone breach, there is nothing to stop the bolt from moving forward if there is no case in the chamber. The shielded cone breach should have the shield ring back farther than the chamber mouth so you can never have the bolt face come any closer than about .038" of the chamber mouth. The outer ring will hit the OD of the bolt first.

thanks 'Bug for the reply....... I was thinking about the firing pin has a stop but just missed the part the bolt could move forward with no shell. joe

Back