Conditions

John,

I believe you may be experiencing the effects of what I have heard called slow mirage. This is a little different than the more common mirage that we all see and use when the sun's heat is comming off the warm ground and being moved around by the changing winds. Try this experiment; set your gun up on the bags aimed at the target in the conditions you describe. Look through the scope every 15 to 30 seconds and see if the aim point (crosshairs) has moved. It is likely that even though the gun is still pointed in the same place, optically it will appear as though you have changed the aim point. In the coarse of a 30 second string of fire, especially in very slight conditions, you may have as much as 1/4 in. of mirage. Also, if you are shooting in more challenging conditions, but shooting better groups, this would mean your barrel is not the cause.

Larry

Do you mean "no conditions" as in a tunnel?
Or do you mean "no conditions" as in UNKNOWN?

Tim....
I was just asking a simple question. I thought you might have done some testing that would be of value, or show the relation of bore characteristics to wind effect. I wasn't looking for "absolute scientific verification". Why do you have to get so hyper?

Cecil, calm down, I'm not getting hyper. I'm trying to indicate IMHO that there are certain things that might not be provable in a scientific context, but very usable, repeatable, acceptable,etc. in a real world match type, i.e, lots of expierience type setting. Now, yes, I've talked to a few top smiths, more than a couple barrel makers and been involved in a couple pretty interesting prototype projects concerning bbl configuration vs wind sensitivity. One of the best .22 smiths who ever drew breath was an unwavering believer that the best "wind" barrels may very well be between 3-groovers and 4-groovers but never got to finish up all the work.
In my own work I've been concentrating on a lot of back and forth shooting with 3 and 6 groove bbls.
I had recently a great, uniform, tight, 8-groove barrel. On a nice calm test day or night it would burn little holes, showed great potential. I was fairly surprised, talked to several of my helpfull consultants and was told by pretty much all of them that an 8-groove would be tough in the wind and in the end it would probably give me 2-3 times more elevation change vs wind intensity than you could reasonably want to fight. My friend Chet Amick told me more than once that the number,type, configuration, dimension of lands and grooves, "in his opinion" had way more to do with a good "wind" barrel than the size of bore. He even felt that past a certain point, too tight is no good. Now he could'nt proove this beyond a doubt but his "trial by fire" methodology holds up pretty good. The point, my friend, is that there have been a lot of guys doing loads of work in this area, lots of it kind of under the radar stuff.

Really, show me where I'm wrong there sweetcheeks.

? If you're over at the Scientific Manor, and you drop a Lapua X cartridge.....just leave it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back