Coming Soon New Micrometer Adjustable Reamer Stop II

Rustystud

Nathaniel G Lambeth, Sr., who originated the Micrometer Adjustable Reamer Stop, has re-designed this tool and is coming out with the New Micrometer Adjustable Reamer Stop II. We have a new manufacture and there has been some dramatic improvements made with the New Micrometer Adjustable Reamer Stop II. I can't give you an exact price or delivery date, but I expect to have them available by the end of May 2016. I will keep you posted when they are available. We will be selling them directly, in an effort to keep the cost down.

Thanks

Nat Lambeth

Can you tell us any of your design improvments? I like how mine works now. Can think of anything I would change. Lee

Design improvements

The design improvements are recommendations asked for by my prior MARS customers. The MARS II is being made in under my direct supervision to insure quality and product control. The MARS II are not made by and will not be available from the prior sources. You want pay for it and have to wait half a year to get the product. I will judge the demand and try to keep stock on hand. There will be additional tooling added that will be great aides in chambering, gunsmithing as well as aftermarket replacement parts for Remingtons, Custom Clones, and Savages all made under my direct supervision. Small companies can provide quality products, service, and integrity that the shooting community deserves
Nat Lambeth

I think I have one of Nath's every early reamer stop, and I used it again on 5/16/2019 . and it is one of the best things I ever purchased .

OK...... I'm a tool freak.

I admit to my addiction.

BUT..... I'm learning.

My graveyard grows.

The best investment I ever made was to go out into my toolbox and grab a long extension and tape it onto my reamer backwards.

Now I just short-chamber a few thou because EVERY BARREL sets down just a wee bit differently when you torque 'em as hard as I do (I was adjusting headspace with barrel tightness 20yrs ago) NOW I finish the chamber IN THE GUN, fully torqued, ready to fire.

I've never told anyone this before. I don't even know why I am telling on myself now now knowing that it'll be received just like my "fat-butted chambers" but maybe someone, somewhere will get pleasure from it :)

Life is just so good when all's ya' gots ta' go is grab up some cases and SHOOT! Instead of dinkling around endlessly with clicks and die shims and settings and trying to remember which barrel needs which setup. 20 barrels? no problem..... can use same brass and die for ALL OF THEM! Never trimming, never fighting with cases.

And nary a click one.....ever.

I'm actually re-cutting dozens of chambers on "old" barrels right now, dozens of reamers and sizes......and going back through hundreds (thousands?) of bagged up and boxed up and taped up and marked up cases from 50 different barrels/actions/guns/setups and instead of grabbing new cases for a new barrel just grab some out of a box set and pretend they're new. If they don't iron in then I can throw them away with a clean conscience! Cuz slowly but surely ALL MY CHAMBERINGS are coming into line, matched.

whewww..... got that off my chest.

Gonna' go shoot now, the rain stopped

And it's FRIDAY!!!

I know a reamer stop makes sense but don't remember ever using one. You just had to measure.

Was I missing something?

Mort

I know a reamer stop makes sense but don't remember ever using one. You just had to measure.

Was I missing something?

Mort

It's not a crucial bit of kit, but it's an easy way to get consistency across chambers and makes it child's play to hit exactly the depth you want. (Speaking as a user of the original MARS - I haven't upgraded yet, but probably will within an hour or so...)

GsT

I use one to cut all of our Universal Receiver test barrels. They reference headspace off the breach end of the barrel. Set the stop once and I get identical chambers every time. I leave a stop setup on the reamers that I use the most.

Bought some collars on eBay with Allen head set screw and put those on reamers when I want to build multiple barrels. $5 for 10. Cheap way if ya don’t have the money to buy a this

Where did you find them with the right ID to fit the flutes?

now Butch..... C'Mon.....

"Diameter?" Hah, where's he find the matched taper?

I'd do what dude says but'cept I done screwed up and ordered all my reamers at a custom taper. That darn .010tpi just r'ared back and BIT myass eh!

Whish't I was smart.....

Last edited:
I made a simple collar

for my Rimfire Reamer and once I got the depth I wanted, locked it on the reamer and it's there for the duration. I don't see the need for a Micrometer arrangement, personally but I only do my own barrels and don't need to deviate.

Pete

The advantage to the adjustable stop, is in being able to hit the dimension you want easily and repeat it. Unlike a fixed stop, for the first chamber, you set the adjustable stop to give you a short chamber. Then measure the HS and see how may thou you need to go deeper. Dial that amount on to stop and cut o finished depth. Yu can move tailstock, carriage, etc. without it affecting your readings. No DRO or indicator needed either.

A fixed stop has worked for me by setting it after taking out the last couple thou. Tighten collar on before removing reamer.

When resetting the tailstock, I leave the tailstock loose then dial tailstock till reamer touches chamber and I get a zero reading thus moving the tailstock back. Lock in tailstock and it’s set to zero.

Either way, these micro stops are very nice looking.

Last edited:
I can see

A fixed stop has worked for me by setting it after taking out the last couple thou. Tighten collar on before removing reamer.

When resetting the tailstock, I leave the tailstock loose then dial tailstock till reamer touches chamber and I get a zero reading thus moving the tailstock back. Lock in tailstock and it’s set to zero.

Either way, these micro stops are very nice looking.

for those who do a lot of barrels but I have one reamer for each chamber I make so every one is going to be the same. Adjust the shoulder if it's too long but it never is.

Pete

Back