COLLET numbers

Pete Wass

I am wondering what the numbers and letter designations for collets means. I have an old (1941) 10 L South Bend which has the hardware necessaryo to use collets. I loaned the collets to a gent who hs passed and my collets are no longer available. How do I tell if I have a 3-C or whatever setup?

MSC Industrial supply has an extensive inventory of collets. Order the "Big Blue Book". Excellent reference.

Good luck.

C

MH specs.

If this works, see attached word.doc

:)

wc

Attachments

• Lathe Collets.doc
    473 KB · Views: 267
Thanks for the replies

I located my Collet holders today whilst waiting for the Electrician to hook up my new motor. I will measure the thread size next time I am there.

On a sader note, the electician fiinally got the motor to run and reverse about 6:00 PM and left; hungry I guess. Anyway, I tried to start the lathe with the spindle belt engaged and the motor would not start. I then started the motor and engaged the belt. The lathe seems to be running slow but was able to change speed by moving the belt.

After a couple of minutes I began to smell the odor of Plastic melting or burrning. Once I smelled it it was more pungent than I realized ; am about to phone him giving him the great news :(

Last edited:
I am wondering what the numbers and letter designations for collets means. I have an old (1941) 10 L South Bend which has the hardware necessaryo to use collets. I loaned the collets to a gent who hs passed and my collets are no longer available. How do I tell if I have a 3-C or whatever setup?

Pete,
I believe you said in a previous thread that your Lathe has the 1 3/8" (or slightly larger) hole through the spindle. If that is the case, it should use a 5C collet provided no one has changed the collet closer from what Southbend sells as original equipment for those.

Happy Shooting,
Mitch & Shadow...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it is pretty good size

Pete,
I believe you said in a previous thread that your Lathe has the 1 3/8" (or slightly larger) hole through the spindle. If that is the case, it should use a 5C collet provided no one has changed the collet closer from what Southbend sells as original equipment for those.

Happy Shooting,
Mitch & Shadow...

Yes, the hole in the spindle is at least as big as you mentioned. I was thinking the hole through the spindle is 1 9/16" but could be wrong. I am not at my lathe just now to chack anything.

Thanks,

Pete

Last edited:
Thanks for the help:

I would not have thought to simply measure the thread in the draw bar or whatever the tube the collets screw into is. I gusee I was thinking that thread might be universal; I seem to have just enough knowledge about this stuff to ask a bunch of stupid questions. Sorry :eek:

I did do something last evening that might help. I bought a copy of Machinery's Handbook. Figured that might save me asking some of these dumb questions that have obvious answers.

Back