cleaning ?

Joe S

I read a post on another forum I, frequent on cleaning a barrel where a shooter claimed the proper way to clean was to use a crown protector, insert the rod from the muzzle, and only pull the brush or patches from chamber to muzzle. He claimed bore guides were worthless, and that he and bench shooters in the know used this method, avoiding cleaning from the chamber.
It kind of made sense to clean this way, but it is the 1st of this, and I wonder if any more light can be shed on it by others that use the method?

BTW I`ve been a bore guide and 1 pc SS rod user for 25+yrs. Lately I like using Wipe Out, and the minimal patching, and no brushing required with it. A shot of Rem Clean once in a while if carbon seems to build, and I`m good, or so I thought. I don`t own a bench gun though and I doubt any gain in bbl life, or accuracy, from one method of cleaning over another would be easy to see for myself with them

I guess the thousands of Benchrest Shooters throughoiut the world have it all wrong.

A well designed bore guide, such as the TK Nolan Barel Saver, or the Lucus with the insert, (it is worthless without), protect the barrel quite well.

One thing that WILL damage a barrel is not stopping that cleaning rod the instant it clears the bore. Allowing the rod to lay down on the barrel while in motion, unsupported by either the brush or the patch, will damage the muzzle end. I know this first hand.

By the way, if you are not using a brush, you are not getting your barrel clean. Quite a few years ago, Speedy Gonzales done some extensive test on cleaning without brushing. He had a nice video borescope set up to prove the point. His conclusion was a good quality bronze brush was a nessessary part of the cleaning proccess..........jackie

Lefty, not a semi-auto, a bench gun or so he hinted.

Jackie, as i said earlier, I use a little Rem Clean on occasion when carbon seems to be building and the WipeOut does a very good job on the copper. Accuracy seems to remain very consistent with this cleaning. Although I may be leaving some fouling I can`t see, it doesn`t seem to be hurting. Then again the rifles are all everyday hunting rigs with a couple of rebarreled semi-customs tossed in.
I`d probably do more damage then good if I went back to my old brush and patch regime. It seemed I spent more time trying to get the last streak of black out of the bore then I did putting it in there ;-)

I bought some of the latest solvent that the gun writers were getting payed to sell us. Grater than the stuff they were selling the year before. I cleaned my Deer rifle and put it up and got it out mounts later and looked in the barrel and there were green spirals going around the barrel. So I went back to sweets. Good luck Max

Sinclair makes good ones. I always spray mine with non-clorinated brake cleaner after use to clean off the brush eating solvent. I've been using the same brushed for quite some time and its in great shape.

Jackie
What solvents do you yous and do you yous coated bullets? Thanks Max

Back