cleaning solvents

I do not believe you can gall a ss or a steel bbl with copper jacketed bullets. Just not the right combination.

I believe, based on his original post, that HIS version of copper "fouled" and the rest of the bench shooters versions, are two very different things. I think most of us are use to cleaning copper from a bbl, typically at the throat, not at the muzzle. If i was getting copper from breech to muzzle, i might get worried.

Yea, I'm talking about cleaning after each relay, 7 to 20 shots at a time. When a barrel is galled make it a tomato stake.

Well guys I hope you don't tell me to go away? But I use Montana 50 BMG on the barrels, works great. But I also do something that keeps Copper to a Minimum is to JB the hell out of the throat before I fire a shot out of a new barrel, it smooths out machine marks. Then use Kroil to get the rest of the JB out, But leave a little for a lubricant. My 2 cents

Joe Salt

Well guys I hope you don't tell me to go away? But I use Montana 50 BMG on the barrels, works great. But I also do something that keeps Copper to a Minimum is to JB the hell out of the throat before I fire a shot out of a new barrel, it smooths out machine marks. Then use Kroil to get the rest of the JB out, But leave a little for a lubricant. My 2 cents

Joe Salt

Joe, Your Two Cents are priceless in my opinion, done it the same way here for years..

I notice at matches some guys squirt one of the high ammonia cleaners directly on their bronze brush. Then several strokes, then a patch. Then they look on the patch for copper!

Back