cleaning rods preference

i think a stainless`steal rod and jag.

myself i use a carbon fiber .20 call rod and jag.. you can bet money the pro's will show up and call me a boob!!!

i'm not a pro, but you are right. i'm probably going to be a boob too. two boobs are always better than one.
i think this should be right. not sure about ara but myself.
1. bill myers stainless-i don't have one, ordered one 2 years ago never heard from bill again. $125-150 i think
2. ivy rod stainless-so i got an ivy rod .20cal stainless long enough for anything. will take large ends. great rod.
$50-55
3. pro shot stainless-i used this till i could get an ivy or myers. i think around $35-40. need to use adapter for large ends. kinda short though.
some are talking about carbon fiber rods i don't have one so i don't know.
at least you didn't say patchworm mr. n.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone talks bout the hard stainless rods but I have always used the bore tec coated rods and have never had any cleaning damage.

Charlie

I think hard polished stainless is the best. Carbon fiber is probably the worst, so if you use it, you could be a boob. I've had both Myers rods and Ivy rods and Ivy rods are just as good and may be better. So, that's what I would, and do, go with. I have one with an integral jag and one with a screw in jag, and generally use the latter.

That's my opinion and that's all it is. I used to use the Bore Tech and Dewey coated rods, and personally never had a problem with them. I think the potential for problems is greater, but at the same time, you can't be a dunce and expect everything to go okay.

Actually after reading an article by BC which made the point that improper cleaning was a barrel killer I replaced my coated rods with IVY(.187) which I was able to look at in person while shooting at Dan K. In my case MWerks makes an excellent bore guide that can be ordered with the proper bushing (.187) for my 40X. The fit is perfect and has to be kinder to the chamber/leade area than other solutions. Regards

I'd add a big +1, +1, +1 for Ivy Rods. Not only are they great cleaning rods, they went to a herculean effort to make correct, a damaged rod by the USPS. I'd buy again from them ANY day of the week!

Never heard of MWerks, but if you're looking for the best bore guide get it from this guy:

Mike Lucas : 803-356-0282
LucasMJB@windstream.net

Of course he could be MWerks for all I know.

L1.jpg

L2.jpg

L3.jpg

L4.jpg

L5.jpg

Mike Lucas makes a great bore guide!

I look at the MWerks and the Lucas and have to say both look good. I wonder what material that is that's being used by MWerks. It appears to be stainless, but I can't really imagine somebody doing that for that price, which makes me think it is Aluminum. Now, it may say somewhere on the site, but I didn't see it. If it is Aluminum, I would choose the Lucas definitely. If not, I'll order one soon.

MWerkes is aluminum, Lucas is delrin. I have MWerkes for my Anschutz & they are good, but like you, I would prefer delrin over aluminum. Lucas does not make guides for Anschutz 54 (offset bolt).

I use a Ivy .187 rod with a Neil Jones Bore guide with insert. I like them.

Les

I had a Neil Jones. Sure can't complain about it. They're a good set up. I use Lucas on all my rifles now, but it was mainly because I could use the Lucas on two different rifles.

i'm not a pro, but you are right. i'm probably going to be a boob too. two boobs are always better than one.
i think this should be right. not sure about ara but myself.
1. bill myers stainless-i don't have one, ordered one 2 years ago never heard from bill again. $125-150 i think
2. ivy rod stainless-so i got an ivy rod .20cal stainless long enough for anything. will take large ends. great rod.
$50-55
3. pro shot stainless-i used this till i could get an ivy or myers. i think around $35-40. need to use adapter for large ends. kinda short though.
some are talking about carbon fiber rods i don't have one so i don't know.
at least you didn't say patchworm mr. n.

OK, new here, I'll bite and get flamed.
What's so bad about the Patch Worm. (No, I don't use one)
Borg

most of the people use patchworms on semi-auto's where they
can't get the bolt out to run a rod through it. most people here
shoot bolt actions. the guys with semi's don't want to clean from
the muzzle they might mess the crown up. i use a rod i just feel
i can do a better job and get a better feel of things. i just like to
take my time too, if i was in a hurry i wouldn't be shooting this sport.

Back