Cleaning rods for .22 rimfire

J

johncamsr

The cleaning rods that have the rod end coated in black plastic and have a big red handle. Any body find that this type of a handle is much to large in diameter for cleaning a bolt action rifle? I know that if i purchase the 44" long rods vs the 36" rod i will not have this problem but, the longer rods are too long for transport and or shop use and cleaning. I find that the big red handle contacts the stock thus bending the rod causing cuts in the black plastic coating. Even using a bore guide this happens. Does any body make an after market smaller diameter handle to retofit this make of cleaning rod? I figure i do not have to mention the manufacture of the big red handle cleaning rods, because most of us shooter use this type of rod. My quick fix for this problem was to sand down that large diameter red handle to make it work better. Any other suggestions? Thanks john

Well lot's of guys use Ivy rods and the handles slide right up over the stock without contact.

Tim, thanks for the reply, I will check out the Ivy rods.

I've had a few rods but the Ivy rod is superior and is designed around Benchrest rifles with it's sleek handle that does make a difference. The other good rod is the Tipton carbon fibre one but the handle is big. A trick I learnt was to use and old thick sock to put over the butt of the stock and this protects the stock from chips and bumps.

AndyD

Get yourself a IvyRod or two, You will be Happy. Denny also made me a chamber Rod for keeping the chamber free of carbon and lead.
Walt

andy1179, thanks for your response. I purchased 3 of the Tipton carbon fibre cleaning rods and found that the handles diameter was large and would hit the stock as well and bend the rods so I had to turn down the handles until they cleared the stock. I did not like doing that to new rods but, I tried it and it worked. I also turned down the Dewey handles to make them work. john

Halo68, thanks for your response. I went on line and checked out the Ivy rod and other designs and the cost of each. The Ivy looks great but, at this point I think the next rod that I order its going to be the Proshot for $25.25 and give it a try. I just wish that someone made an after market handle that would retrofit the Dewey rod with a smaller handle. Do the people that design these cleaning rods ever test them to see if they even clear the stock before they put them on the market? john

I recently purchased a 44" long Pro-Shot stainless steel cleaning rod for around $30 bucks. It has small 5/8" diameter x 4" long red alumimun handle, that rotates. This rod works great on my rimfire benchrest rifle(s) with the J&J Slide attached. It is long enough to push a cleaning patch past the end of the slide, without removing it. My old 36" S.S. Rig-Rod did not. Excellent cleaning rod for the money. Center22

Has anyone pointed this problem out to the folks at Dewey??

What was their logic for such a 'large' handle??

best .22 cleaning rod

The Ivy Rods are best for good and practical reasons.

You need a rod no bigger than .182 diameter so as to not have the ejector cut up or scratch your rod. Ivy makes them.

The polished stainless rod will not pick up or imbed with grit. One quick wipe with the towel and the Ivy is good to go and you can re-polish if they ever start to look dull. Those coated rods and carbon fiber are in my opinion, barrel eaters. My bore scope has shown several shooters the error of their ways after they have sanded the bore/throat of their expensive match barrels.

Ivy will make the length that you want as each is custom made.

They are sent with a nice button head screw in the business end so as to protect the threads. Just screw it back in after each use.

The handle is small in diameter and comes with smooth ball bearings or you can order it solid with no spin.

They will last a lifetime.

The rods are shipped in a strong tube and are wrapped in news print and Denny puts a piece of homemade soap in the package to clean your hands after unwrapping.

It is best to BUY the BEST and CRY ONCE. Just my opinion and we all have a million of 'em but they will be an asset to your cleaning regimen and you will minimize cleaning rod bore damage.

No, I do not own stock in Ivy rods....I am just reporting on a superior product and people who believe in great customer service and communication.

Joe

"The rods are shipped in a strong tube and are wrapped in news print and Denny puts a piece of homemade soap in the package to clean your hands after unwrapping." quoted from above^^^ "

Soap to wash with---W O W!!!!

.22 rods

Is True. I've ordered 3 different sets of rods from Ivy/Denny and all have been top notch and no newsprint ink on the paws.

Joe

center22. I checked out all of the rod manufacturers mentioned web sites and I think the next three rod that I will be purchasing will be the Pro-Shot stainless steel rods with aluminum handles. from what I can see the handles look small enough in diameter to clear the stock. And the price is great. I purchased three of the Tipton carbon cleaning rods but, the handles turned out to be to large to clear the stock as well. So I just turned the handles down until they cleared the stock. Not sure what these rod mfg's are thinking when they design their rods.

langenc. I sent Dewey a very nice and what I thought helpful email pointing out the fact that their handles were in need of redesign but, they never returned my email. Oh well I guess I will take my hard earnd cash to Pro-Shot.

johncamsr,
IMHO the Pro-Shot rods are the best deal out there for the money. Shipping was reasonable too ... under $9.00 UPS basic which included several additional small items in the package.

Denny Phillips makes the best rod available now for rimfire BR rifles, no doubt. And he makes them in .187 diameter with an 8-32 thread to use rimfire jags.
If you buy the steel and parts and do the work to make them, you'll see Denny is more than fair in his pricing.

Back