cleaning rod

H

hailey

Hows come my rem.541s is scratching my cleaning rod ??? I have used more than on bore guide and it still does it,so much for my new IVY ROD....

Ejector

Hey Jim,

I am sorry to hear about your new rod.... :(

With a lot of the rimfires, the ejector teat sticks up into the bore line. This is what is scratching your rod. The .203 diameter rod just comes too close to the ejector on some guns. I only use the .187 diameter rods on my rimfires. Some, I can't even get the .203 past the ejector with a good bore guide that keeps the rod in the center of the action.

As far as you rod goes, you can still save it so it is usable. Email me, and I can discuss that with you.

Have a good night!
Denny

I have two of Dennys rods for my 22rf bench guns. Both are .185. Denny is the only one I know of who will put 8-32 threads in a .185 rod. I don't need an adapter to use a 22 cal. jag in what is pretty much a 17 cal rod.

Denny lists his .185 rod as a 20 or 22rf rod on his web site and I agree. Did you talk to Denny about what you needed or did you just order a 203?

As far as scraches go, I have a CZ action that will scrach my .185 rod with a good bore guide. I just polish it out once in a while. I don't have a problem with my Ivy Rods.
Mike

Ditto CZ 452

I tried cleaning my CZ 452 and scratched up the rod big time. Buffed it out and wondered about using a Bore Snake to avoid the area of the receiver where this is taking place. Can't believe it does the rifle any good. I have a .17 rod and may try that. Or just never clean it ????

I just received my new rimfire rod yesterday (Thanks Denny :D) and I was actually wondering about this potential issue.

I'm waiting for my bore guide to arrive from sinclairs before I give it a try.

I might bend up a bit of plastic sheet to put over the extractor just in case there's a problem. I definitely don't want to scratch the finish on the rod.

De-burr your ejectors!

Use a fine honing stone to remove the knife edges. Final test is if you can drag your fingernail along the ejector and not peel nail.
BV

For what it's worth:
A Bore Tech .196 "rimfire" rod with a Sinclair guide works fine in Cooper
.22 RF guns.

Very good suggestion!

Use a fine honing stone to remove the knife edges. Final test is if you can drag your fingernail along the ejector and not peel nail.
BV

Thanks for the input Brian! This will make a big difference if you do accidently run the rod across the ejector. Smooth parts don't have much of a chance to dig in. The smaller .187" diameter makes a big difference also.

Thanks Guys!

Denny

cleaning rod-ejector-guide

Hello, I thought I'd jump in here & ask a rookie question.
I've got a Rem 541-t & WONDER WHAT THE COMMON CONSENSUS IS for recommending me a good .22lr rod & guide? Also where to buy, and ball park prices?
I have all the good stuff for my centerfire match rifles' cleaning, but I only recently got into 22's.
THANKS! Steve Long.

good rod...........

nope......a "Great" rod can be had from the gentleman that posted just above you! A Denny rod is as good as they come add a Lucas bore guide and you are set.
Colt.45

Steve,

I'd like to second Mr Colt .45's comment, Mr. Phillips and his wife are super folks to do business with. The rods are so well packaged that even the USPO can't figuere out how to damage them. I have an aluminium two rod case for Dewey rods and when I told Denny about them he turned the handles so that they would slip fit right in them. Great rods, great people, great service.

Rick Curtis

nope......a "Great" rod can be had from the gentleman that posted just above you! A Denny rod is as good as they come add a Lucas bore guide and you are set.
Colt.45

Ditto!

Also a little common sense will go along way. Don't blame a great rod on your problem. :confused:

Back