Cleaning rod Length

The second picture shows the the rod extended past the muzzle with jag installed. The amount of bare rod extended past muzzle is about 3-1/2 inches.

G'day Glenn. The rod protrusion is about 3" too far. You only require the jag to protrude the minimum to allow the patch to drop off.

I found that a few pieces of heat-shrink tubing shrunk onto the rod make a nice stop.

* doghunter *

As Glenn's pic shows above, a boot over the stock is very important to protect the bedding and glue from solvent damage. It protects the stock finish too but the most important feature is to keep solvent out of the bedding area.

Yeah but, Jerry, all that picture shows is how easy it is to hate Glenn.
Couldn't he put an ice cube or some slush in the background?
I mean, it is February, right?

Francis...Which would you prefer?....Snow/Ice in February or Tornado's in December.

Glenn

Cleaning Rod length

G'day Glenn. The rod protrusion is about 3" too far. You only require the jag to protrude the minimum to allow the patch to drop off.

I found that a few pieces of heat-shrink tubing shrunk onto the rod make a nice stop.

* doghunter *

The picture is just to show that the 36" rod is of sufficient length. The operator controls how he/she wants to use it. When cleaning a rifle with some tuner designs,the patch has a tendency to drop off inside the tuner cavity. Before firing,I try to remember to always check the tuner for patches that drop off.

Glenn

Last edited:
As Glenn's pic shows above, a boot over the stock is very important to protect the bedding and glue from solvent damage. It protects the stock finish too but the most important feature is to keep solvent out of the bedding area.

Jerry.....The bore guide does a dang good job of protecting bedding and glue form solvent spillage. At least ,mine does.

Glenn

In this picture you can see a reason to use a longer rod. Note that the handle is close to the stock. No room for fingers underneath. So to avoid flexing the rod, you need to use an unnatural grip that does not include wrapping your fingers under the handle. Flexing the handle upward pushes the middle of the rod into the bottom of the bore, which can wear the bore.

Bingo!

In this picture you can see a reason to use a longer rod. Note that the handle is close to the stock. No room for fingers underneath. So to avoid flexing the rod, you need to use an unnatural grip that does not include wrapping your fingers under the handle. Flexing the handle upward pushes the middle of the rod into the bottom of the bore, which can wear the bore.

Yes sir! MKS hits another home run!

Just another reason, perhaps the most important of all to use 44 inch rods to clean benchrest rifles. :p

I would like to help but I do not have the same habits picked up by bench resters. I make my cleaning system, with my system the cleaning rod does not touch the rifle, it can not lock up or jam up. It is impossible for something to go wrong. Then there is push and or pull. I prefer to pull to keep the rod straight but there are times I am forced to push. The length of the rod is never an issue unless it is too short.

F. Guffey

When I use the rod in the picture with bore guide,there is no flex in the rod,moving back and forth. The Bore guide takes the flex out. The stock boot in the picture,makes things look a little crowded,but the cloth is soft.

I've got rods from 36" to 44". No length prevents a bronze brush from making repeated contact with crown and bore.

A while back someone posted a photograph of Crown damage caused by bronze brushes. Its conceivable that the in and out motion of a bronze brush, will eventually take its toll on barrel steel. Now,this is just my opinion. TIFWIW.

Glenn

Last edited:
A while back someone posted a photograph of Crown damage caused by bronze brushes. It’s conceivable that the in and out motion of a bronze brush, will eventually take its toll on barrel steel. Now, this is just my opinion. TIFWIW.

I do not go back and forth, I push and or pull. My cleaning is directional. Then there is the picture no one has seen, it seems there a number of things going on that requires explaining.

F. Guffey

I would like to help but I do not have the same habits picked up by bench resters. I make my cleaning system, with my system the cleaning rod does not touch the rifle, it can not lock up or jam up. It is impossible for something to go wrong. Then there is push and or pull. I prefer to pull to keep the rod straight but there are times I am forced to push. The length of the rod is never an issue unless it is too short.

F. Guffey

I wish youd come to a benchrest match sometime so you can show us all this success and mastery in action. Id just like to at least see a picture or an explanation of all these superior methods.

I remember that thread Glenn. It showed scratches, for lack of a better name, well beyond what a brush could reach. Greg Walley called it to everyone's attention that a bore brush doesn't have bristles long enough to reach out that far.

Greg Walley posted the pic you are probably remembering.

I need to know which Dewey rod will be better for my 22" barrel using a Lucas bore guide the 36" 40" or 44" action is bat ds which I believe is around 7". Should i go 36" with less flex in the rod or do i go 40 or 44 to ensure that it will be long enough with my bore guide.

The OP asks about the length of the rod and was concerned about flex. It would appear members took the opportunity to tell him everything they know about cleaning rods and cleaning barrels. Most responses were automatic with little to no rational. It would seem most are repeating what they have read or heard.

If using a home made cleaning system makes me a genius what does it make someone that uses the same methods and or techniques over and over and over…with the same bad results?

F. Guffey

it is very easy to put a stop on a long rod, really hard to stretch a short one.

At one time I tried a stop problem was my 44"rod left too much rod sticking out of the rod caddy for my taste. I then tried a piece of masking tape, it got hung up on the insert, so now I put some of my wife's fingernail polish on the cleaning rod, works great.

Dan Honert

New barrel cleaning system

The OP asks about the length of the rod and was concerned about flex. It would appear members took the opportunity to tell him everything they know about cleaning rods and cleaning barrels. Most responses were automatic with little to no rational. It would seem most are repeating what they have read or heard.

If using a home made cleaning system makes me a genius what does it make someone that uses the same methods and or techniques over and over and over…with the same bad results?

F. Guffey

Mr Guffey....If you.ve got a “home made cleaning system”. (Your description.) That revolutionizes the current methods of bore cleaning, This is your opportunity to gain instant notoriety and Name recognition. In the eyes of us,cleaning rod holding, barrel wrecking Shooters, you would be a true genius of salvation.

We’re not your critics. We want to save our barrels from our abuse.

Your idea is a breath of fresh air to an anxious crowd that would like to try it out. Perhaps you would be willing to provide more details of your cleaning system.

Glenn

I read through a few threads on another forum; one question that caught my attention was about chamber casting. I was disappointed in the behavior of the forum but not surprised. I thought the members of the forum treated the man in a manner rather rude. The forum was of no help but I did inform them I did not approve their behavior.

And then I contacted the collector, shooter and reloader off line. Anyhow; the shooter, collector, reloader has made camber cast of all of his rifles in a manner he never thought possible. He thought the abuse on the Internet was worth the trip. He placed a value of zero on the information he found through his search.

F. Guffey

F Guffey,
What is the point of mentioning something without giving details? You seem to do this a lot. Of course you can post any way that you see fit. but we have learned nothing useful from your posts on this thread.

As to the original poster's question, I use 44" Dewey rods, and take care to only let jags and brushes extend from the muzzle enough to drop a patch or allow a bronze brush to clear the bore. I work the rod carefully, paying attention to its alignment with the CL of the bore. I do most of my patching, short stroking, before I brush. My rod guide has long bushings that extend as far forward as possible into the guide as they can without getting in the way at the back of rod strokes. I do not have cleaning issues, or barrel wear from cleaning issues. I look at my barrels with a bore scope from time to time to verify this. The most important thing is to think about what you are doing while cleaning. I have seen a lot of hurried rod work, rods extended too far out muzzles, and bowed rods. IMO, if a rod is bowed behind the action, a short bushing cannot keep the rod off of the chamber throat.

Just a thought

Which brand toothbrush should I buy? The choices are similar to choosing a cleaning rod.

To add to the confusion,Toothbrushes and cleaning Rods don't come with instructions.

Glenn

Back