Chronographs

N

NesikaPPC

I need a chronograph. I'm on a fairly tight budget. Will the Alpha/Beta/Gamma or Competition Electronics that you can pick up from Brownells/ Sinclair work or is there another brand that works better etc?

Shooting Chrony Works Fine

I like my Shooting Chrony F-1 Master. It has the remote readout that you can put on the bench. I added the LED light kit and battery pack. I use that in all conditions and have had almost no bad readings. This outfit will not break the bank and it works indoors and after dusk. Get a decent tripod and you'll have no trouble with setup.

I have a Beta Master Chrony that I would like to get rid of as I also Have Olher and have no need for two. PM me if your interested: flightwork2@msn.com

I have three Chrony's, I can and have set them end-to-end on a board and shot over them all at once.

They agreed.

I recommend them for the price although I am in the market for an Oehler 43, NOT to replace my Chrony's but because my range is plumbed for it.

I recommend Chrony.

al

sorry but no way would i put something on the end of my bbl while doing load development....
nice toy, but it is weight on the end of the bbl.

I wouldn't use it either for load development/grouping...the change in harmonics would most likely have an obvious affect on POI. But for doing one thing - finding velocity, it looks great. A lot less hassle than optical chrony's, and I'd bet better accuracy because of the technology used- not dependent on light, shadows, glare, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quick Setup, small footprint, consistent

My Shooting Chrony outfit is quick to set up, LED kit and all. It all fits in a small tool box with the exception of a professional-quality photographer's tripod which has it's own case about 2 feet long. I don't doubt the Ohlers are great, but they are large and more trouble to lug around and set up. Also about double the cost of my outfit. Also, I wonder how they are in weird lighting situations without some sort of LED kit. I'm not too worried about the relative accuracy of the Shooting Chrony to some other chronograph because it is consistent day in and day out giving me velocities that are reasonable for the rifles and loads I am shooting. I use it for all my load development so if it's 50 fps off from some other brand, I don't care.

Magneto speed

I had a three screen ohler and replaced it with a magneto speed. Why ?

Having tested both side by side the magneto speed gave the same readings and was just as consistent with a fraction of the set up time. When I develop a load for short range BR I get it to shoot well and then find out what velocity it delivered. If it begins to go off one of the variables I check is the velocity. Yep the POI changed along with the rifles grouping ability with that thing hanging off the barrel. Irrelevant as far as I am concerned because it doesn't alter the bullets velocity. What I sold the ohler for bought the magneto speed with a lot left over. It is also far more compact.
Andy.

I don't understand why anyone would use the magnetospeed....... I shoot thousands of rounds over the chrono and wasting barrel to "check" one shot with the rifle disabled does nothing for me.

The one round is meaningless......

to me.

al

Chrony vs Magneto

A lot of guys shoot at ranges with other shooters on line and calling 'cease fire' to fuss with sky shields, tripod, weight down for breeze/wind, is inconvenient at least. So, even though I use chrony - I'd switch given the chance. Magneto looks to much simpler - shooting several (10) rounds to get Xbar, ES, std. dev., would be worth it to me.

A lot of guys shoot at ranges with other shooters on line and calling 'cease fire' to fuss with sky shields, tripod, weight down for breeze/wind, is inconvenient at least. So, even though I use chrony - I'd switch given the chance. Magneto looks to much simpler - shooting several (10) rounds to get Xbar, ES, std. dev., would be worth it to me.

I can buy that. There are times it's a pain to set up on the line altho I've got mine down to a science. I shine a light thru the bore and can set up in minutes. Except when the RO has an issue with me looking back thru the bore.....

Just my opinion but I have owned shooters chronys and they are a waste of money and a pile of crap, get an Oehler

Where did this come from

I don't understand why anyone would use the magnetospeed....... I shoot thousands of rounds over the chrono and wasting barrel to "check" one shot with the rifle disabled does nothing for me.

The one round is meaningless......

to me.

al

Where did I say I would check one shot? Let me clarify the simple with simpler. I develop a load for a barrel so that it shoots well. I then check the velocity of about 25 rounds with the chrony. If there is a change in it's grouping ability I can check the velocity for changes.

But when it's shooting I prefer to burn out my barrels in competition not blazing away over a chrony just for the hell of it. I have never seen anyone shoot over a chrony during a short range BR match. I would be quite impractical.
Andy

I own/use both the Ohler 35P and the Magneto-speed chronos.....they are each about as good as the operator.To voice an opinon on something w/o first hand knowledge of it`s useage is a sad display of ignorance.

Last edited:
different strokes ;)

Some folks likes pork chops, some folks likes ham hocks

And some folks has to lay on the train tracks to believe there's such a thing.....

I own an Ohler 35P, CED Millennium, Kurzeit PVM-21 and a Magnetospeed. They all have different features that make them useful. The Ohler 35P can print out the velocities as it reads them. The CED has a more compact mounting system and it was easy to make a bracket that allowed me to shoot over it prone. The Kurzeit can be connected to a laptop that feeds the velocity data into a database in real time. The Magnetospeed is easy to mount and can be used when you have to shoot through a tunnel and is not dependent on ambient light. The Magnetospeed also stores the data on a micro SD card and can be opened as an Excel spreadsheet. When using the Magnetospeed I saw change in POI after removing it from the rifle but no discernible change in group size.

These chronos all have some features in common and all have some features that are unique to each. So far I haven't seen a chronograph that has all the features I'd like. Maybe that's a business opportunity.

Back