Chrome Moly vs Stainless steel

They fact that he is a graduate engineer and a bench rest national champion only add to his reputation and credibility. Now concrete finishers don't have much of that. But i have heard three things from a finisher that proved to be true. It will get hard eventually , and it will be white or grey eventually and it will crack eventually. If you ever believed them about showing up on time YOU will be disappointed. I can kid too.

Very good barrels. Have you had a chance to use one since they reopened after the fire?

Good shootin'. -Al

Use, yes, I still have two good ones, one on my Heavy 1K gun still rockin' the boat, but nothing new-new, I have not been able to get a new one since the fire. I've spoken with them 3 times and haven't ordered due to the situation....but, but, BUT!!!..... Just spent some time on the phone with Kathy and Chris today and they now have some appropriate 12ft sticks of steel in stock from a (special??) buy, and the time, and I WILL BE ordering just as soon as I can get my barrels spec'd and drawn up :)

Chris hissownself did give me the go-ahead

What a fun guy to talk to

happy happy happy

BTW they will be SS but I still have no opinion re longevity

......... it will crack eventually. /QUOTE]

I was on a big suspended parking deck pour in the early 80's, walking around on a hunnerd tons of steel and I asked my foreman "how does all this rebar not just pop out of the slab when the sun heats it up?"

He of course told me to go soak my head. cuz, foreman.

I asked that question for 20yrs. I established an opinion, reasoning out what must be going on, but no answers until I finally met a passionate geek of an engineer who answered with facts. And I have since established empirically what IS going on with the cracking, but it took a while.

Yes, concrete will crack.

cuz PHYSICS!

it must

About the other stuff I have no reply

"Stainless" and "Chrome Moly" are categories of steel and it makes little sense to compare the two without getting down to specific alloys. The alloys used for barrel making do seem more resistant to heat, but that doesn't explain the rampant use of stainless alloys in actions - which completely befuddles me - I very much want a chrome-moly action, but for some reason they are not that popular! Call it marketing.

OTOH, I must disagree with rmisthsr - in general, chrome-moly alloys are much more forgiving to machine. Some stainless alloys are downright painful, but I've never found a chrome-moly alloy that didn't machine nicely.

Those chromoly actions are more popular than you may think. Just because its melonited, does not mean its ss. I also prefer cm.

Back