Check Out The Latest Addition to Our Shop.....

jackie schmidt

We finally bought something that for decades we have had a need for, and finally got one.

An Oliver Drill Sharpener.

This thing is really neat. It will sharpen a drill size from 1/4 to 4 inches, it’s amazing to watch the way it generates the perfect point, clearance, and cutting edge angle. It even thins the point for less tool pressure when drilling blind holes.

You can also set the oscillator to generate more ore less back clearance to better fit the type of material being drilled

For years, we hand ground drills and sometimes used our Cincinnati Tool Grinder with a home made fixture.

http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24476&stc=1&d=1615938471

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-2xTse8A70

Attachments

• 4FBE9C5F-30C2-4EDC-B959-E51B3A13BD5E.jpeg
    4FBE9C5F-30C2-4EDC-B959-E51B3A13BD5E.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 593
Last edited:
Wow....talk about classic America machine tools! :cool: Very interesting history on the company, also.

Thanks for sharing that, Jackie. -Al

Interesting

I just had a conversation with a couple shop owners about drill sharpeners and they both said it wasn't worth the time and effort. I imagine in your industry you might use drills large enough to make it worthwhile. That's a nifty bit of 'old iron' in any case.

GsT

Having sharpened quite a few drill bits by hand to the point of getting pretty good at it, I watched the video and it looks like it does a pretty nice job in a pretty good time. It definitely does a better job of it then I do. It would be kind of hard to get over the the economics of it even though it would be a asset on the floor.

Attachments

• D3644386-4615-4548-9761-5BC1D3F92E9A.jpeg
    D3644386-4615-4548-9761-5BC1D3F92E9A.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 351
Last edited:
I just had a conversation with a couple shop owners about drill sharpeners and they both said it wasn't worth the time and effort. I imagine in your industry you might use drills large enough to make it worthwhile. That's a nifty bit of 'old iron' in any case.

GsT

Gene, The Shipyard toolroom would sharpen cutting tools including drill bits. Anything below a given size was expendable.

Mort

Interesting

Gene, The Shipyard toolroom would sharpen cutting tools including drill bits. Anything below a given size was expendable.

Mort

Seems eminently reasonable. Do you recall what the cutoff size for 'expendable' was? How 'bout you Jackie? How big and/or expensive does a drill need to be to warrant sharpening?

GsT

We sharpen any drill bit with a Morse taper. That could be from 7/16 all the way up to 4 inches.

Straight shank drills 1/2 and smaller ar ground by hand. I am pretty good at sharpening smaller bits by hand.

The only time we will not sharpen is if the margin get burned away. But sometimes you can cut them off and re-establish the point and cutting edges further up the drill.

We find that buying cheap Chinese drills is a wast of time. Sometimes they chip or burn on the first hole.

Gene, Jackie is right on with the Morse taper drills. Straight shank was expendable. There was some Brown and Sharpe stuff laying around that was usable with a Morse adaptor.

Mort

Back