Charles E tensioned barrel ?

Kirk Ethridge

Charles, i was reading on the 6br site, re your experimenting with tensioned barrel.s

I was wondering about attachment,,,, do you have to build your own barrel nut to screw against the sleeve, or do buy some standard nut

What tpi seems to work best?

Thanks!

Kirk

We make our own barrel nuts. I don't think tpi matters -- these are steel nuts. As I remember, we just use whatever tpi the action thread is . . .

Joel Pendergraft may be able give you more details; for a time at least, he used a somewhat complicated system with caged Belville washers.

Pendergraff (& Charles too)

I beleive there was a photo of one of his rigs close to where i read you (Charles) were doing the tensioned thing..

looked like a rail gun, but 2 pieces. the sleave looked to be around 2 inches.?

Are you guys still shooting tensioned rigs?

I remember Nielson or (someone ?) was testing one on a short range rifle a year or so, but never heard how it finally turned out.

has anyone been doing the ppc tensioned?

Kirk

The rifle you refer to was a 1,000 yard HG. By the rules, they have to ride in two-piece rests, and the rests have to be sandbags (but both can be on a pedestal). The tube was 3" schedule 40 stainless pipe -- that's about 3.5 inches o.d. I have the material to build a new one, using 3.5 aluminum (6061 T-6). Joel has used his HG -- a picture of it also on 6mmBR.com -- to win a whole lot more than his share of matches with a similar tube. He has moved to a 5-in tube, using 6061 T-6 aluminum, and that gun is now shooting as well as the first. Jeff Rogers has set all kinds of Australian records with tensioned-barrels.

I have made several 1K light guns using tensioning tubes. Most have shot well (read: won); some have not.

I have made a PPC Sporter weight rifle with a tensioning tube. The first attempt was a disaster, it had water/antifreeze inside, but the barrel was so close to the tube that changes in heat during the first 10 shots made it string. When I re-did the tube & took the water out, it settled down.

In a way, the tensioned barreled rifles are like tuners. They show a lot of promise; I think they work better (more consistent) than tuners. But we don't know how to guarantee success yet -- no "cookbook formula." There are far fewer people using them than tuners, so information comes slowly.

People looking for a new, technical edge to success are usually out of luck. A lot more things fail than succeed. That there has been as much success with tensioned barreled rifles as we have seen does show something is there worth chasing. But we're not to the point where it is a quick fix; results are still as you would expect with experiments, some good, some bad.

If you want to join in the fun with a Sporter-weight PPC, I'd say find the best 6061 T-6 tubing you an get, probably 1.375 o.d. with .125 or less wall (.080 will work with a 1.25 barrel), a No. 5 taper barrel (that's a Shilen taper, whatever is similar from any maker would be fine), & have at it. If your forearm channel is not 1.5 inches (few are), reduce the o.d. of the tube proportionately. Simplest is to just butt the tube against the action. Watch out for marring the action if it it too is aluminum. Make a nut for the barrel so as to put tension on the tube -- I like a full 1-inch long nut. With aluminum tubing, you don't need too much tension. You'll distort the tube if you over-tighten it. Face off the tube as accuarately as you would a barrel, BTW, and the nut should have a shoulder & well-fit tenon.

Far as that goes, you could probably try the tensioning with three rods, a couple of plates, & the nut. Would solve the problem of getting even-walled tubing.

But in any event, you'll be off on an experiment, and if all you want is quick wins, there are likely better ways to get them.

Last edited:
Supply

Hi All , 1st some apologies to Joel/ Charles and the Lynn for not getting the Tubing over there to you guys . My health has dropped in a hole in recent times and finding times between doctors and such has not fallen in line to when the Ultrasonic checker is back home .. I think i'm back on the road again to finish the machine work for lynn and the sorting for Joel.. I believe the details are worth it and especially the balance between the barrel and tubeing sizes in the lighter applications has a lot the do with the success over the widest variety of climatic conditions..Hope the ship shortly guys ..JR..Jeff Rogers

Balance!

Lynn , When this whole thing started i had very little to go on and had to work with the products available over here ..Charles B ,Charles E and Joel had been having success with big tubes ,liquid filled with a split pedestal rests and really big complex tension systems ..Some of this i could not get my head around engineering wise so i just expanded a little on what had worked on the 1st light test pieces..This tube(6061t6 alloy) is on my heavy gun close to a 2.0 inch od tube with a .200 wall (same one i'm doing for you) with a simple nut to tension the barrel and the other end of the tube up against the action face . the action is conventionally glued into the stock. This matched to a barrel 1.500 for 6ins with a straight taper to 1.250, has a 1.250 by 16 tpi thread on both ends.. To this end my "dumb Guy" approach to the new Light Gun is a a tube of 6061t6 alloy 1.500 od with a .125 wall (same stuff i'm sending to Joel)..The barrel to be what i think is proportionate is 1.255 for 4 ins with a straight taper to .900 at 30 ins.. threads are 1.125x 18tpi on the breech end and .875x 18tpi on the muzzle If what i see in the set ups we have been involved in so far is a flexability in the load variations and in the guns want to churn out winning groups and scores in some horribile weather fluctuations ..We have had a really bad year for our shoot conditions for every match so far ,but my combo is not suffering as badly as some of the others..In most matchs i have shot a smaller group and or a higher score proportionately in H/G (10 shots) than the L/Gs have for (5 shots ) .. Not to be proud of it but when you see in the year so far the top light gun struggling to get to a 9.5 in 6match agg with a 6 score aver of 43.166 then you for sure it's a hard year .. Mine is 8.13ins agg with a 95.0 score agg with double the shots,it has to count for something if only in my eye's .. I think that it has been slow to catch on ,the " the Tensioned Barrel idea" ,good thing ,mabye ..JR..Jeff Rogers.........
Jeff get better and don't worry about any delays.My barrel still isn't here yet as its only been 14 weeks--OOOUUUCCCCHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
It was promised in 12-16 and me thinks its goin to be 16 at the earliest.

Now tell us about your thoughts on the balance between tubing and barrel size if you would?

When you do ship please send me a e-mail and let me know what you want/need
Lynn

Hi Jeff,

I know all about what doctors & hospitals can do to you. Take your time.

BTW, I dunno if Joel mentioned it, but I'd love to have a couple of pieces of good, checked tubing too. One piece 1.50-inches o.d. for a 1K gun, and one around 35-mm o.d. for a short-range, Sporter-weight 6 PPC (stock has a 1.5-inch barrel channel).

If it's too late or too much trouble, no big deal.

Covered!

Hi Charles , I'mm guessing that Joel has you covered ,he ordered 6 pieces of 32in long 1.500.. Trouble is the smaller stuff is a drawn round tube and no where near the quality, walls are all over the place and it's not consistant in the hardness along the full length..I found some SAE size material that was good ,second hand, awhile back ,i'll go look to see if it has not been used. I think it was 1.250 od x .80 wall (what length) .. Just waiting for the sonic checker to come back home now .. JR..Jeff Rogers..ps i have to buy 6 meters so i can send 7 pieces if ya want .
Hi Jeff,

I know all about what doctors & hospitals can do to you. Take your time.

BTW, I dunno if Joel mentioned it, but I'd love to have a couple of pieces of good, checked tubing too. One piece 1.50-inches o.d. for a 1K gun, and one around 35-mm o.d. for a short-range, Sporter-weight 6 PPC (stock has a 1.5-inch barrel channel).

If it's too late or too much trouble, no big deal.

Jeff,

(I seem to have be using the forum as email -- I'll email you tomorrow.) Yes, it does look like Joel had me covered. As to 6 or 7 pieces -- whatever is easier & best for you.

Back