Chargemaster Test

One More Time!

OK, everyone that thinks the Chargemaster is a "thrower" not a "trickler" read the above post one more time. This illustrates why it is important to let the readout give you the round count BEFORE YOU PICK UP THAT PAN. After the round count it will tell you what it REALLY dispensed, not the target charge. The finer the grain of the powder, the less chance you will have an overage. Also, remember to deal with static, either with a drier sheet, or preferably, by grounding the frame.:mad:

try reading th eoriginal post...

"Yes, I realize 2 sets of 10 is not a very big sample, but it proved enough to me."

Need a more extensive comparison for stat. validity, powertested, controlled... etc...

An interesting discussion, and yes Francis it has been colder than a Siberian well digger's behind off and on. Warmed up, but going to get colder again. Typical. Generally keeps Californians who want to import LA out though. :D

About baffles, someone somewhere came up with a baffle idea that I tried and built for my measures that was a piece of Lexan or aluminum cut to fit the inside of the measure above the tapered cavity at the bottom of the powder reservoir (bottom of the bottle threads with bottle adapters). These baffles seemed to improve the uniformity of thrown charge weights.

On a Chargemaster or similar device the powder flow is stopped when the set weight is achieved or overshot which still causes me to question WHY the height of the powder column could make any difference. The powder doesn't freely flow out of the trickler tube unless it's turning or bumped and powder knocked loose, so the powder head isn't pushing powder out of the trickler tube when it's stopped turning.

IF the Chargemaster has had its trickle speed increased to reduce the time it takes to throw a charge this could possibly cause problems for the scale, but still doesn't explain to me why the head of powder in the reservoir makes a difference.

The idea of using a scale that was capable of ±0.01 gr instead of ± 0.1 gr or whatever the Chargemaster's scale is capable of would likely reduce variations in dispensed charge weight. Unfortunately, having used lab scales capable of 0.1 milligram (0.0001 gram) trying to get an exact specified weight takes longer than it's worth. That's why a weight isn't specified as 1.0000 gram, but 1.0 gram ACCURATELY weighed. That gives the chemist or whoever some leeway as long as they record the exact weight dispensed, as far as the scales accuracy allows anyway. It'd take a LOT longer to dispense charges to ±0.01 gr than to 0.1 gr, and I don't know that it'd make any difference on the target. I was certainly never good enough to be able to tell the difference on the paper when I tried to compete.

try shooting a 1000 yds and you will learn to appreciate powder weighed to better than plus or minus .1....
please note that a scale the is listed as plus or minus 0.1 is NOT a 0.1 scale....
so your charges are seldom .1..they are somewhere between plus.1 and minus .1..that is a .2 spread....
mike in co
. It'd take a LOT longer to dispense charges to ±0.01 gr than to 0.1 gr, and I don't know that it'd make any difference on the target. I was certainly never good enough to be able to tell the difference on the paper when I tried to compete.

Back