Chargemaster AC Power Supply

C.L. Peterson

Chargemaster (DC to AC) Power Supply

What are the options available (Converting DC to AC) and where can they be purchased.
Thanks
CLP

Last edited:
chargemaster Acpower supply

I 'm a bit confused why DC to ac?

Its a 12 volt system. You can convert it to battery operation or use the adapter to change 115 ac to 12 volts.

Battery packs that are re chargeable are on Ebay with recharging adaptors.

A RCBS Chargemaster uses a 9 volt system.

I use a small motorcycle 12 volt battery with a small inverter I got at Best Buy. I plug the Chargemaster power adapter into it. I recharge the battery with my truck periodically. Works great and gives the correct voltage

http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19237&stc=1&d=1490139613

I also know shooters who made up a little battery pack with 6 D Cells. Since the unit only draws about 1/2 amp, they last a long time.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    947.4 KB · Views: 808
Last edited:
When I first

ran my Chargemaster off a 12V sealed lead acid battery, I also used a small DC-DC converter board to drop the voltage to 9 volts DC. Turned out to not be necessary. So, I just run it off the 12V battery and have done so for some years now. Only thing to be careful about is the polarity of the plug you use to connect the battery to the Chargemaster.

Stealth Cam is a game camera company. They make a battery pack that is 12 volt that is a backup battery for their cameras. I run my Chargemaster with one, it's perfect. Comes with the correct plug on the lead to plug into the Chargemaster and a charger. Rarely needs to be charged costs about $50. I bought mine at Wal Mart a year ago or so.

Confusing Post

I kinda got my AC--DC mixed up-confused??

Anyway looks like you gentlemen have me straightened out on AC--DC usage on Chargemaster.

Appreciate the options presented

The Stealth Cam option looks like it should work--Thanks Pablo
Will check it out at W M

Thanks again Guys
CLP

Power upply

I use a Sherpa 50 ,portable 12 volt charger, for my laptop. It has a built in AC inverta.

The Charge master plugs right into the unit via the 110 wall plug that came with the Chargemaster.

Works great.The Sherpa 50 will run the charge master,all weekend long without a recharge.

If I could just figure out how to keep powder granules from getting down under the platen and inside the scale, on the charge master.

I've used a smalll vacuum, on occasion, and canned compressed air in efforts to prevent this from happening, to no avail.

any suggestions?

Glenn

I use one of those on my IPad. They are nice, but do not recharge it until it is at least down to 20% capacity, as these devices tend to have a memory and will not fully charge if you try to just top it off.

I can charge my IPad to 100% twice with it.

What are the options available (Converting DC to AC) and where can they be purchased.
Thanks
CLP

Doc, it ain't AC to DC, ITS constant voltage. Go to an auto parts store and get a jumper battery PAC that also has a cigarette lighter port. Then get a cord at Radio Shack, etc., that plugs in to the lighter port and matches the Chargemaster plug on the other end. The 1500 will run on from 8 Vac to 15 Vac.

At benchrest shoots where the voltage is variable, run the Chargemaster off that battery jumper PAC. A 500 CCA jumper box is about $45-55 at most auto parts and will run the unit for several days.

I kinda got my AC--DC mixed up-confused??

Anyway looks like you gentlemen have me straightened out on AC--DC usage on Chargemaster.

Appreciate the options presented

The Stealth Cam option looks like it should work--Thanks Pablo
Will check it out at W M

Thanks again Guys
CLP

Just to be sure you have the terms correct, that device I showed in my Post #3 is an Inverter. That changes DC to AC.

A Converter is what RCBS furnishes with their unit. That turns AC into 9 volt DC that the Chargemaster uses.

If you have a ready supply of 110 AC, you simply plug in the converter supplied by RCBS. If you do not have a 110 AC source, but do have a Battery, (Truck, Car, etc) you attach the inverter to it in order to obtain 110 AC that the Chargemaster uses.

Of course, if you have a portable D.C. battery source with the proper plug, that is what you use.

There will be a written test tomorrow.:D

I use the automobile style 12 volt battery and the Inverter because I want to use the power pack, (converter), that RCBS furnishes with the Chargemaster.

Last edited:
The wall wart supplied with the charge master is a cheap unregulated converter. The voltage it supple to the unit jumps all over the place. You can buy a better, 12v regulated one but a battery does the same thing and protects against lightening etc. The charge master can operate on 9-16 volts but a smooth current supply is best. You can test the original power supply with a DVOM. An inductive one is better yet, but you can watch the voltage jump all over with a cheap harbor freight voltage tester.

Doc, it ain't AC to DC, ITS constant voltage. Go to an auto parts store and get a jumper battery PAC that also has a cigarette lighter port. Then get a cord at Radio Shack, etc., that plugs in to the lighter port and matches the Chargemaster plug on the other end. The 1500 will run on from 8 Vac to 15 Vac.

At benchrest shoots where the voltage is variable, run the Chargemaster off that battery jumper PAC. A 500 CCA jumper box is about $45-55 at most auto parts and will run the unit for several days.

The Schumacher 500 amp is what I have used on the road on my traveling Chargemasters since 2005. Got it at Advance Auto for about $40 in 2005. Works great.

chargemaster Acpower supply

Theres a member her that advertises in the classified section
He makes battery packs that use 8 D cells.
I bought one and it works fine,

Theres a member her that advertises in the classified section
He makes battery packs that use 8 D cells.
I bought one and it works fine,

I've made several for people, using a 12v sealed lead acid battery. I prefer the rechargeable SLA's over alkaline, myself but both work. I made enough that I bought the batteries and chargers in bulk, which was a ton cheaper than retail. The batteries have turned out to last and hold up well over a long time. I've still got a bunch of the necessary wiring and adapters, if anyone wants to build one.

All of the automotive booster packs I've seen use SLA type batteries..except for the small ones that will fit in your pocket.

Amazon has the Stealth Cam 12V battery kit for $39.95 shipped. It comes with a battery
box with handle and a charger. Has 2 day free shipping with Prime.
Regards,

Joe McNeill
SW Arkansas

Back