Changing of the guard, Calfee

K

Kathy

My friends:

As most of you know I am a 52 Winchester person......have been since my shooting days on the rifle team in high school......

Friend Beau started a thread about equipment which got me to looking at the equipment list from this years ARA Nationals......

Unless I read the list wrong, there was not a single 52 Winchester actioned rifle used at this years Nationals.....

A sad day for a 52 Winchester person like me.......

On the bright side though, The 52 Winchester is being kept alive by the Turbo, which in reality is a modern 52 Winchester without all the handicaps of the original 52, most involving the distortions from heat treatment......

The guard has changed.....

Your friend, Bill Calfee

Bill:

Don't despair.. I am still shooting that 52-C that I sent to you years ago to have the barrel checked. You said it was the best barrel you ever slugged and not to change it. I didn't and it is still shooting great..:)

Dave Smith

Perhaps so.... I just bought my very first benchrest gun. A Win. 52C. There may be newer, better or whatever. I'll stick with the 52.

Best Regards,
Merlin

Got mine

Still have my 52's and they all still shoot well. Just too many guns to shoot, and not enough time to do it. Lots of parts still avilable for the original 52's, just got to know where to look. If the turbo had the 53 trigger and FP set-up, I'd have one, but alass, they failed to duplicate the 52 as I would like it.

Are any of the listed winning actions based on a design that is 90 years old? Have any of them had a general sales run of over 60 years? The Winchester model 52 may not have a winning record today, but it has won a couple matches in years gone by!

Back