Chambers for RFBR rifles

tonykharper

I copied these posts from another thread that has gotten off course and put it here so this subject can be further discussed.

This post is from Kevin N

Good morning Tony:

All of this happened in the first few years of my sponsorship (around 2011 I think), so to answer your question - no, I did not run any testing with Eley (or any other manufacturers ammunition). I have to believe that it would make a difference though, just based on what I saw initially and in all the barrels / seasons since.

From memory, I ran the initial testing with two older Hart barrels I horded (that were six groove .2170 / .2220 barrels). Since I have retested with everything I had - Benchmarks, Kriegers, Shilens (Octagons and Ratchets) and a very few Muller 8 groove blanks. Although the engagement depth preferences varied slightly, there has always been a "sweet spot" where group size and vertical dispersion leveled out, and that accuracy was maintained through 200+ rounds without cleaning (I don't like cleaning between individual matches at our events).

And I have never tried to establish a dimension from the datum (the .660" you mentioned) - when chambering, I use a number of live rounds, cleaned of lubrication, very gently seated against the leade until you can feel them make a hard stop. I then measure what Jerry calls the "stickout", or the distance from the back of the cartridge to the tennon datum face. That dimension minus headspace gives you engagement depth. I currently use the same setup found in the initial testing I ran of .0780 (minus .0430 HS) for an engagement depth of .0350 approx. Lapua ammunition is amazingly consistent round to round, and you would be amazed how repeatable this dimension is between rounds. Lead is soft, so I don't use the same round twice during verification (just in case there is a small amount of deformity). You can definitely feel a hard stop as the round seats against the leade.

Although I have never run this testing with Eley, I do have a "standard" Eley chamber I use (I shot Eley in competition my entire career prior to 2008, and was doing my own smithing at that time too). The chamber setup I use for Eley engraves with a "stickout" dimension of approximately .1360 (approx. .0930 engraving). I say approximately because I have found Eley far less repeatable round to round regarding the distance to the driving band. That's not a knock on Eley (we all know it shoots exceptionally well), it just doesn't allow measurement in this way without some bracketing. Just wanted to share what I was doing for Eley on the rare occasion I do a barrel for it. BTW.....Lapua in the same chamber engraves to a "stickout" depth of .1170 (Lapua's driving band position is shorter / smaller than that of EPS, about .0190).

I have tried a million chamber finishing methods - mandrels, lapping compounds, you name it. In the end (and please, this is only my opinion) I just couldn't justify putting anything even mildly abrasive in a chamber I have tried so hard through the machining process to be dimensionally perfect and concentric. So I have concentrated on speeds / feeds and lubrication to try to machine the most clean / smooth and burr free chambers I can - and let the round count do the rest. If you are interested, I use JGS carbide reamers, at 180rpm, fed exceptionally slow (cleaning chips every .100, and .030 on the last pass) with the older (non EPA compliant) tap magic fluid. Not sure what is in that stuff, but it cuts exceptionally clean chambers with sharp tools. I chamber in a steady rest from the tailstock. There are a million ways to do it, and again, not saying this is the best way (it's just the best way I've found, for my equipment).

I hope I answered your questions, thanks for the reply,

kev

Quote Originally Posted by tonykharper View Post
Kevin,

Thanks again for sharing this information. I'm sure it has been eye opening for many people reading it here.

These forums are to expand and improve our sport and your post has helped that.

I have read you plan to retire soon. Congratulations! Be careful or you will be busier retired than you were when you worked full-time.

Even better news was you plan to offer gunsmithing services to the general public.

I believe in the adage if you build it, they will come. Your services will allow more shooters to enjoy our sport.

I would be less than honest if I allowed readers to think I agreed with your chambering techniques for RFBR rifles.

That is not to say you are wrong. It only says my experience has been considerably different from yours.

I will not pick your post apart or try to convince you there are better ways. That would be tacky.

Thanks again for your post. I hope you make many more sharing your experience. Differing points of view can only benefit us all.

TKH

Tony:

I understand, and would never propose I am doing it correctly (just the best way I have found).

I am very interested in what you do, please let me know - I really want to learn, and your techniques would really help me do so (disagree or not).

Please contribute, that's what this forum (and all forums) should be about.

kev

To continue this discussion I would like to add the following.

I think Lee kind of hit the nail on the head when he said he advocated using what is commonly called the "Nevius" style of chamber for rifles not chasing National titles. He went on to say many great targets have been shot with this style chamber. As I mentioned the late Bill Myers used this style of chamber many years ago and he and many of his customers shot really well with them.

But there was a difference with how Bill Meyers used this style of reamer. Bill had a process he used to finish his chambers.

Now I would like to go back even further in my shooting days.

The Winchester 52 was a fine target rifle. But many people that shot them in the early days of BR 50 were not happy.

The same could be said about many factory barreled rifles and many customs as well. After a season or two the shooter would give up on the rifle. He would sell the rifle on. He would then move on to full custom equipment. As often as not his shooting didn’t improve very much.

Then someone would show up with his first rifle and precede to win a lot of matches. By this time the rifle had a lots of rounds down the barrel.

This led to much confusion. Why did the old rifle start shooting? Was it the new owner, was it the ammo, no one knew for sure but it happened a lot.

Another thing that was noticed position shooters seemed to do better than previous centerfire Benchrest shooters when they first started in RFBR.

These shooters seem to do well right off the bat. Why? Did their skills just transfer better than centerfire shooters?

Many of the position shooters just adapted their position rifles by changing the stocks while centerfire shooters started with new rifles.

In some circles many thought this was because their rifles were well seasoned. Many today still don’t expect a RFBR rifle to really shoot until it is fully seasoned.

This process could take many bricks or maybe a case or more.

What I'm saying is very few, if any, barrels will shoot to their full capability if the chamber isn't properly finished. A chamber can finish itself with enough shooting but not all barrels will.

Finishing a chamber can be done many ways. I have process I learned from a friend that I use, but I am not at liberty to reveal it. I did not discover this process I just watched and learned. This is a process if done incorrectly can destroy a perfectly good barrel. I know I've done it.

I do not consider myself a gunsmith and I'm certainly not a machinist although I've been lucky to know many of both. I have taken most of what I think I know from them.

When I started in RFBR I jumped from factory rifles, a Anshutz 54, and a Russian target rifle straight into Time Precision custom rifles. The Time Precision action allows for adjustable headspace. I spent many hours measuring and sorting ammo. I sorted for many things one of which was headspace. I would do my sorting, then I could adjust my headspace to shoot my sorted pile with the same exact headspace even though the rim thickness was different. I learned from this headspace can be too tight and will cause fliers. If it is too lose you will eventually get to poor ignition and fail to fires (FTFs). The good thing is there is about a 2-3 thou sweet spot where it is really hard to tell if it affects accuracy.

In the early days .042 was the preferred headspace for most ammo. Then it grew to .043. Currently many are using .044 and even .045. In my opinion the ammo we shoot today isn't as consistence as it once was.

I was offered a sponsorship from a major ammo manufacturer. I was honored, but I turned it down. I have seen the preferred ammo for RFBR change several times over the years. Where am I going with this? It goes back to chambering barrels. I try to find the best, most consistent ammo I can find, buy as much of it I can afford, then use that ammo to set up my chambers for the rifles I plan to shoot the ammo in.

Others have stated they find their ammo all the same so they have cookie cutter chamber specs they can use. That is not my experience.

When I first run a reamer in a barrel to form the chamber, I run it in slightly deeper than the depth I want to end up with. Then I use a tool with a dial indicator on it to measure the "stick out" from the barrel face. The indicator has a spring behind the probe. As I push the tool up against the barrel face this spring probe pushes the bullet into the lands. If find this spring action allows me to get more accurate readings than I can by pushing the bullet in with my fumble fingers. Here again I see ammo inconsistences. As I try different rounds, I get different numbers. There was a time my best lots would be more consistent. I would only use a 5-round average. Now I'm using 25-30 round averages to find my depth. I adjust the depth to my number by cutting the barrel face. I'm using .044 for headspace.

Reamers, I have several but my go to reamers are .225 straight sided with no stop. I have one marked 1.5-degree, another 2.0, and another 3.0. If they weren't marked, I couldn't tell them apart. They are all spiral cut reamers.

When I took a machinist course at a local college the instructor told us when using a reamer to go in about .100 then back out clean off and blow out the chips then go back in another .100. repeat the process until you get to your depth. I used that method for a while.

Then I had a conversation with Dan Muller, the Dan Muller of Muller barrels. He told me he dialed straight to his number. No going in and backing out. He said try it. I did and I like it. I find this method doesn't leave nearly as many marks in the chamber. I have only done this with spiral cut reamers. I don't know if it would work with others.

I would like to remind the reader everything I've said here is my opinion, and it applies to single shot actions used for RFBR only.

TKH

Last edited:
I will not pick your post apart or try to convince you there are better ways. That would be tacky.

I think Lee kind of hit the nail on the head when he said he advocated using what is commonly called the "Nevius" style of chamber for rifles not chasing National titles. He went on to say many great targets have been shot with this style chamber. As I mentioned the late Bill Myers used this style of chamber many years ago and he and many of his customers shot really well with them.

TKH

Tony:

So much for not being "tacky".

How did I ever win all those Nationals with such an inferior chamber! LOL Someone should have said something - I would have not tried so hard!

Can't wait to see where this one goes, this should be fun!

kev

Tony:

So much for not being "tacky".

How did I ever win all those Nationals with such an inferior chamber! LOL Someone should have said something - I would have not tried so hard!

Can't wait to see where this one goes, this should be fun!

kev

Kev,

I didn't know you won a RFBR Nationals. Remind me when was that?

I was going to go into barrels, but I see you are intent on taking this personal. So, I'll quit here.

TKH

Last edited:
i believe other rimfire disciplines have national events too.
some may even exceed RFBR in history and prestige.

i believe other rimfire disciplines have national events too.
some may even exceed RFBR in history and prestige.

frey,

I agree, they do.

But my post was very clearly about RFBR. After all this site is named Benchrest Central.

One can argue which types of shooting requires the greatest accuracy but again that has nothing to do with this thread.

Kevin getting all bent out of shape and making this about him is ridiculous.

TKH

frey,

I agree, they do.

But my post was very clearly about RFBR. After all this site is named Benchrest Central.

One can argue which types of shooting requires the greatest accuracy but again that has nothing to do with this thread.

Kevin getting all bent out of shape and making this about him is ridiculous.

TKH

Tony:

"Tacky" is hardly offensive, and saying a chamber commonly called the "Nevius" isn't capable of winning (even in RFBR) is not without offense. Let's not play this game.

Instead, let's use the forum for it's intended purpose - and share ideas. I fully disclosed my ideas (right or wrong), and you shared nothing regarding what you believe is the quintessential factor.

Why is it so hard to put yourself out there? Don't we have enough RFBR sites that condemn ideas and products with nothing to offer in return?

I respect that you think I'm wrong, and you are entitled to your belief's regarding which National titles are worthy of consideration.......just don't call someone out and offer nothing.

kev

How much does it matter

I note that most rimfire smiths regard the chamber as the most important part of the barrel. Personally I would disagree. Like you, I am not a gunsmith or a machinist, by any stretch of the imagination. I have chambered a few barrels. The first one I ever did was a benchmark that was on my Falcon. I ordered a 52D reamer from PTG. I cut the old chamber off, machined the blank,then threaded it. Now it was time to chamber it. Now I was scratching my head trying to figure out how to go about it. Leave it in the lathe, put the reamer in a Chuck, no. Hold it by hand, no. Thinking about all the things that could go wrong. So. I decided to just turn it by hand. The chamber looking at it with a bore scope, looked as if I had did it with a ax. Well I cut the extractor slots, they turned out great BTW, mounted it on the action and it shot at least as good as it did before I did it. Scored a 124 10 Shot target with it. So, how much does a great chamber really matter?

The next barrels I chambered were cut with a lathe, I got some great advice from Jerry Stiller and Ivan Wells on how to go about it. I also finish my chambers, I don't have a hobb, so I do it my own unique way, looks a a mirror when they are finished. I also go a little deeper than prescribed, then I face the barrel until I get the stick out I am looking for.

I am sure a proper chamber matters but really how much? I would think the other 24-to 28 inches of the barrel would matter much more.

For all that are really interested in winning at RFBR I suggest finding a really good gunsmith that has a excellent understanding of how to build and tune a great rifle.

George

Tony:

"Tacky" is hardly offensive, and saying a chamber commonly called the "Nevius" isn't capable of winning (even in RFBR) is not without offense. Let's not play this game.

Instead, let's use the forum for it's intended purpose - and share ideas. I fully disclosed my ideas (right or wrong), and you shared nothing regarding what you believe is the quintessential factor.

Why is it so hard to put yourself out there? Don't we have enough RFBR sites that condemn ideas and products with nothing to offer in return?

I respect that you think I'm wrong, and you are entitled to your belief's regarding which National titles are worthy of consideration.......just don't call someone out and offer nothing.

kev

kev,

I shared the dimensions of the reamers I use, explained how I use them, including the headspace I've used over the years. I have stated on many occasions I prefer fully engraved chambers. I wasn't completely finished with all I wanted to say but life got in the way, and I had to quit writing for a while.

I did not share the method I use to finish chambers.

It is not my process, I did not invent it, so it is not for me to share. I'm sure you know where I learned it so you can go to the horse's mouth if you really want to know.

If you in fact invented or created the chamber you are using, just say so, and I will forever refer to it as "The Nevius chamber".

As far as what your chamber may or may not win, I'm quite sure I never made a statement on that.

I've seen big RFBR matches won with all types of equipment. Even broken scopes with a crosshair laying in the bottom, not only did it win it set records doing it. Anything can and will win matches from time to time. But most of us are striving to do it on a reoccurring basis.

As for which titles are worthy of consideration is another thing I did not comment on. But I'm sure your record would be better appreciated and understood in threads that were actually discussing those matches.

Now I see you will be offended by anything that doesn't fit with your thinking. The best thing I can do for now is just leave it. Our difference go much deeper than what has been discussed up until now.

As hard as it may be for you to understand, everything I discuss in these threads aren't about you.

We have had similar experiences but have taken different lessons from it.

TKH

Last edited:
I note that most rimfire smiths regard the chamber as the most important part of the barrel. Personally I would disagree. Like you, I am not a gunsmith or a machinist, by any stretch of the imagination. I have chambered a few barrels. The first one I ever did was a benchmark that was on my Falcon. I ordered a 52D reamer from PTG. I cut the old chamber off, machined the blank,then threaded it. Now it was time to chamber it. Now I was scratching my head trying to figure out how to go about it. Leave it in the lathe, put the reamer in a Chuck, no. Hold it by hand, no. Thinking about all the things that could go wrong. So. I decided to just turn it by hand. The chamber looking at it with a bore scope, looked as if I had did it with a ax. Well I cut the extractor slots, they turned out great BTW, mounted it on the action and it shot at least as good as it did before I did it. Scored a 124 10 Shot target with it. So, how much does a great chamber really matter?

The next barrels I chambered were cut with a lathe, I got some great advice from Jerry Stiller and Ivan Wells on how to go about it. I also finish my chambers, I don't have a hobb, so I do it my own unique way, looks a a mirror when they are finished. I also go a little deeper than prescribed, then I face the barrel until I get the stick out I am looking for.

I am sure a proper chamber matters but really how much? I would think the other 24-to 28 inches of the barrel would matter much more.

For all that are really interested in winning at RFBR I suggest finding a really good gunsmith that has a excellent understanding of how to build and tune a great rifle.

George

George,

Did you cut the extractor slots with 3 hack saw blades taped together? It has been done to good effect before.

TKH

Last edited:
George,

Did you cut the extractor slots with 3 hack saw blades taper together? It has been done to good effect before.

TKH

It was a thought, Dexter told me how. I used a mill, wheel cutter and a index head. First and best set I ever cut. I was more nervous doing that, than cutting the chamber.

George

I copied these posts from another thread that has gotten off course and put it here so this subject can be further discussed.

This post is from Kevin N

Good morning Tony:

All of this happened in the first few years of my sponsorship (around 2011 I think), so to answer your question - no, I did not run any testing with Eley (or any other manufacturers ammunition). I have to believe that it would make a difference though, just based on what I saw initially and in all the barrels / seasons since.

From memory, I ran the initial testing with two older Hart barrels I horded (that were six groove .2170 / .2220 barrels). Since I have retested with everything I had - Benchmarks, Kriegers, Shilens (Octagons and Ratchets) and a very few Muller 8 groove blanks. Although the engagement depth preferences varied slightly, there has always been a "sweet spot" where group size and vertical dispersion leveled out, and that accuracy was maintained through 200+ rounds without cleaning (I don't like cleaning between individual matches at our events).

And I have never tried to establish a dimension from the datum (the .660" you mentioned) - when chambering, I use a number of live rounds, cleaned of lubrication, very gently seated against the leade until you can feel them make a hard stop. I then measure what Jerry calls the "stickout", or the distance from the back of the cartridge to the tennon datum face. That dimension minus headspace gives you engagement depth. I currently use the same setup found in the initial testing I ran of .0780 (minus .0430 HS) for an engagement depth of .0350 approx. Lapua ammunition is amazingly consistent round to round, and you would be amazed how repeatable this dimension is between rounds. Lead is soft, so I don't use the same round twice during verification (just in case there is a small amount of deformity). You can definitely feel a hard stop as the round seats against the leade.

Although I have never run this testing with Eley, I do have a "standard" Eley chamber I use (I shot Eley in competition my entire career prior to 2008, and was doing my own smithing at that time too). The chamber setup I use for Eley engraves with a "stickout" dimension of approximately .1360 (approx. .0930 engraving). I say approximately because I have found Eley far less repeatable round to round regarding the distance to the driving band. That's not a knock on Eley (we all know it shoots exceptionally well), it just doesn't allow measurement in this way without some bracketing. Just wanted to share what I was doing for Eley on the rare occasion I do a barrel for it. BTW.....Lapua in the same chamber engraves to a "stickout" depth of .1170 (Lapua's driving band position is shorter / smaller than that of EPS, about .0190).

I have tried a million chamber finishing methods - mandrels, lapping compounds, you name it. In the end (and please, this is only my opinion) I just couldn't justify putting anything even mildly abrasive in a chamber I have tried so hard through the machining process to be dimensionally perfect and concentric. So I have concentrated on speeds / feeds and lubrication to try to machine the most clean / smooth and burr free chambers I can - and let the round count do the rest. If you are interested, I use JGS carbide reamers, at 180rpm, fed exceptionally slow (cleaning chips every .100, and .030 on the last pass) with the older (non EPA compliant) tap magic fluid. Not sure what is in that stuff, but it cuts exceptionally clean chambers with sharp tools. I chamber in a steady rest from the tailstock. There are a million ways to do it, and again, not saying this is the best way (it's just the best way I've found, for my equipment).

I hope I answered your questions, thanks for the reply,

kev

Quote Originally Posted by tonykharper View Post
Kevin,

Thanks again for sharing this information. I'm sure it has been eye opening for many people reading it here.

These forums are to expand and improve our sport and your post has helped that.

I have read you plan to retire soon. Congratulations! Be careful or you will be busier retired than you were when you worked full-time.

Even better news was you plan to offer gunsmithing services to the general public.

I believe in the adage if you build it, they will come. Your services will allow more shooters to enjoy our sport.

I would be less than honest if I allowed readers to think I agreed with your chambering techniques for RFBR rifles.

That is not to say you are wrong. It only says my experience has been considerably different from yours.

Thanks again for your post. I hope you make many more sharing your experience. Differing points of view can only benefit us all.

TKH

Tony:

I understand, and would never propose I am doing it correctly (just the best way I have found).

I am very interested in what you do, please let me know - I really want to learn, and your techniques would really help me do so (disagree or not).

Please contribute, that's what this forum (and all forums) should be about.

kev

To continue this discussion I would like to add the following.

But there was a difference with how Bill Meyers used this style of reamer. Bill had a process he used to finish his chambers.

Now I would like to go back even further in my shooting days.

The Winchester 52 was a fine target rifle. But many people that shot them in the early days of BR 50 were not happy.

The same could be said about many factory barreled rifles and many customs as well. After a season or two the shooter would give up on the rifle. He would sell the rifle on. He would then move on to full custom equipment. As often as not his shooting didn’t improve very much.

Then someone would show up with his first rifle and precede to win a lot of matches. By this time the rifle had a lots of rounds down the barrel.

This led to much confusion. Why did the old rifle start shooting? Was it the new owner, was it the ammo, no one knew for sure but it happened a lot.

Another thing that was noticed position shooters seemed to do better than previous centerfire Benchrest shooters when they first started in RFBR.

These shooters seem to do well right off the bat. Why? Did their skills just transfer better than centerfire shooters?

Many of the position shooters just adapted their position rifles by changing the stocks while centerfire shooters started with new rifles.

In some circles many thought this was because their rifles were well seasoned. Many today still don’t expect a RFBR rifle to really shoot until it is fully seasoned.

This process could take many bricks or maybe a case or more.

What I'm saying is very few, if any, barrels will shoot to their full capability if the chamber isn't properly finished. A chamber can finish itself with enough shooting but not all barrels will.

Finishing a chamber can be done many ways. I have process I learned from a friend that I use, but I am not at liberty to reveal it. I did not discover this process I just watched and learned. This is a process if done incorrectly can destroy a perfectly good barrel. I know I've done it.

I do not consider myself a gunsmith and I'm certainly not a machinist although I've been lucky to know many of both. I have taken most of what I think I know from them.

When I started in RFBR I jumped from factory rifles, a Anshutz 54, and a Russian target rifle straight into Time Precision custom rifles. The Time Precision action allows for adjustable headspace. I spent many hours measuring and sorting ammo. I sorted for many things one of which was headspace. I would do my sorting, then I could adjust my headspace to shoot my sorted pile with the same exact headspace even though the rim thickness was different. I learned from this headspace can be too tight and will cause fliers. If it is too lose you will eventually get to poor ignition and fail to fires (FTFs). The good thing is there is about a 2-3 thou sweet spot where it is really hard to tell if it affects accuracy.

In the early days .042 was the preferred headspace for most ammo. Then it grew to .043. Currently many are using .044 and even .045. In my opinion the ammo we shoot today isn't as consistence as it once was.

I was offered a sponsorship from a major ammo manufacturer. I was honored, but I turned it down. I have seen the preferred ammo for RFBR change several times over the years. Where am I going with this? It goes back to chambering barrels. I try to find the best, most consistent ammo I can find, buy as much of it I can afford, then use that ammo to set up my chambers for the rifles I plan to shoot the ammo in.

Others have stated they find their ammo all the same so they have cookie cutter chamber specs they can use. That is not my experience.

When I first run a reamer in a barrel to form the chamber, I run it in slightly deeper than the depth I want to end up with. Then I use a tool with a dial indicator on it to measure the "stick out" from the barrel face. The indicator has a spring behind the probe. As I push the tool up against the barrel face this spring probe pushes the bullet into the lands. If find this spring action allows me to get more accurate readings than I can by pushing the bullet in with my fumble fingers. Here again I see ammo inconsistences. As I try different rounds, I get different numbers. There was a time my best lots would be more consistent. I would only use a 5-round average. Now I'm using 25-30 round averages to find my depth. I adjust the depth to my number by cutting the barrel face. I'm using .044 for headspace.

Reamers, I have several but my go to reamers are .225 straight sided with no stop. I have one marked 1.5-degree, another 2.0, and another 3.0. If they weren't marked, I couldn't tell them apart. They are all spiral cut reamers.

When I took a machinist course at a local college the instructor told us when using a reamer to go in about .100 then back out clean off and blow out the chips then go back in another .100. repeat the process until you get to your depth. I used that method for a while.

Then I had a conversation with Dan Muller, the Dan Muller of Muller barrels. He told me he dialed straight to his number. No going in and backing out. He said try it. I did and I like it. I find this method doesn't leave nearly as many marks in the chamber. I have only done this with spiral cut reamers. I don't know if it would work with others.

I would like to remind the reader everything I've said here is my opinion, and it applies to single shot actions used for RFBR only.

TKH

Tony, I believe you took what I wrote somewhat out of context. so, for the record my current life situation doesn't allow me to go travel and shoot the big matches that seem to be the only measure that means anything. that is what I meant when I said for someone not chasing Nationals, would I be at a disadvantage I don't believe so, for someone who has shot less than 75 sanctioned ARA targets and the worst finish being a 5th place over 6 years I think I done pretty good. the fact that I shoot a 58-year-old Anschutz put together with parts makes it even more interesting. what does this have to do with the chamber, well since having the barrel done 7 years ago it has helped me reach the level I am at. yeah, I know big deal in your eyes it means nothing. perhaps one day I will it make to a national event and see for myself.
but as you pointed out these forums are to discuss, share and help others, but if you think about it if the measure will only be at the National level which most who read these forums don't shoot at who is it for these discussions?
it is great you shared how you chamber a barrel, but the information is incomplete if you can't share how to complete the work. that is a shame.

Lee

Tony, I believe you took what I wrote somewhat out of context. so, for the record my current life situation doesn't allow me to go travel and shoot the big matches that seem to be the only measure that means anything. that is what I meant when I said for someone not chasing Nationals, would I be at a disadvantage I don't believe so, for someone who has shot less than 75 sanctioned ARA targets and the worst finish being a 5th place over 6 years I think I done pretty good. the fact that I shoot a 58-year-old Anschutz put together with parts makes it even more interesting. what does this have to do with the chamber, well since having the barrel done 7 years ago it has helped me reach the level I am at. yeah, I know big deal in your eyes it means nothing. perhaps one day I will it make to a national event and see for myself.
but as you pointed out these forums are to discuss, share and help others, but if you think about it if the measure will only be at the National level which most who read these forums don't shoot at who is it for these discussions?
it is great you shared how you chamber a barrel, but the information is incomplete if you can't share how to complete the work. that is a shame.

Lee

Lee,

If I took your comments out of context I apologize. I did not know your personal situation.

You are quite wrong about me not realizing what an accomplishment your record shows. I think you have done extremely well.

Big National events are only special for those that use a self-direct training program designed to peak with these events.

Many shooters attend for many different reasons. Most just enjoy shooting and being with people they share a common interest. Of course they all want to win but they limit how much time and effort they put toward that goal.

But others go just to win. Second place is first loser to these people. RFBR can break your heart no matter how hard to train or the amount of energy you devote to it. The expression "It is great when a plan comes together" can't be overstated for these shooters.

I have collected a lot of information about RFBR but sharing it somehow threatens others, making them feel as they are being attacked or their contributions aren't appreciated.

Of course, that is not true. We are such a small community we need everyone. No one should feel there are different sides. Everyone should be able to support whatever they want without others attacking them because their ideas differ from their own.

TKH

Last edited:
Kevin;

Congrats on your new life coming up. Hopefully it will be all you hope for. If you can do good work in the RFBR sport, there will be more business than you want. There aren't probably a handful of good qualified guys that can build a winning national level gun at this point.

Your chamber engraving is much less than we are normally using. I tried it a while back, but not very detailed. I would like to do an experiment using the deeper chamber and see the difference in pure accuracy with good ammo and then see how ammo finicky it is also. I am really trying to get something less finicky with ammo. I will take a barrel and do my current chamber and then move it in to what you are doing and compare the results. That way the only change is the chamber itself. I will try Lapua and Eley, I shoot both currently.

My chamber is probably the most unique design done in the sport. It is CNC bored and has some features included to help keep the wax in place and allow for full opening of the case mouth when fired. I don't think it is adaptable to a reamer very well though. IF you have some time and desire, give me a shout and let's discuss what you do and what I do and see if the above experiment is worthwhile. IF it leads any information I will publish the results.

You can get me anytime at jerry@holeshotarms.com or 214-773-9010.

Kevin;

Congrats on your new life coming up. Hopefully it will be all you hope for. If you can do good work in the RFBR sport, there will be more business than you want. There aren't probably a handful of good qualified guys that can build a winning national level gun at this point.

Your chamber engraving is much less than we are normally using. I tried it a while back, but not very detailed. I would like to do an experiment using the deeper chamber and see the difference in pure accuracy with good ammo and then see how ammo finicky it is also. I am really trying to get something less finicky with ammo. I will take a barrel and do my current chamber and then move it in to what you are doing and compare the results. That way the only change is the chamber itself. I will try Lapua and Eley, I shoot both currently.

My chamber is probably the most unique design done in the sport. It is CNC bored and has some features included to help keep the wax in place and allow for full opening of the case mouth when fired. I don't think it is adaptable to a reamer very well though. IF you have some time and desire, give me a shout and let's discuss what you do and what I do and see if the above experiment is worthwhile. IF it leads any information I will publish the results.

Hi Jerry, so great to hear from you!

I am all in, and will call you to get an idea of how we can proceed. Greatly looking forward to it!

I have a few blanks in the shop that are unspoken for, so I could contribute them also. I know you like to do your own lapping (something I have yet to experiment with), but they are available.

You and I have spoken in the past, and I want you to know how grateful I have been for the information you shared. You have been very helpful to me, and to the sport as a whole. You should be really proud of yourself and your contributions - I and many others are grateful for them.

I think you have my contact information, but I will reach out all the same. Thanks for the post and the opportunity.

kev

Kevin;

Jerry/Kev, It is great to see you guys collaborate on chambering. I'm sure many readers on this site will be very interested in what you come up with.

When you guys are ready to put out your findings, please share them on this site too.

Let me see if I understand what you propose to do. You are going to cut your normal engraving chamber then test the set up. Then cut this chamber deeper and test it again with less engraving. Have I got that right?

TKH

Lee,

If I took your comments out of context I apologize. I did not know your personal situation.

You are quite wrong about me not realizing what an accomplishment your record shows. I think you have done extremely well.

Big National events are only special for those that use a self-direct training program designed to peak with these events.

Many shooters attend for many different reasons. Most just enjoy shooting and being with people they share a common interest. Of course they all want to win but they limit how much time and effort they put toward that goal.

But others go just to win. Second place is first loser to these people. RFBR can break your heart no matter how hard to train or the amount of energy you devote to it. The expression "It is great when a plan comes together" can't be overstated for these shooters.

I have collected a lot of information about RFBR but sharing it somehow threatens others, making them feel as they are being attacked or their contributions aren't appreciated.

Of course, that is not true. We are such a small community we need everyone. No one should feel there are different sides. Everyone should be able to support whatever they want without others attacking them because their ideas differ from their own.

TKH

Tony, no apology needed I just wanted to give better clarification on what I wrote. so that anyone reading would know I fully credit the Nevius/Lapua chamber for providing a means to have a competitive rifle. sorry for my rant.

Also, I understand about what you said about being subjected to criticism on doing certain things. boy I know that really well. but I have come to the decision I will let my results speak for itself.

Lee

George Atkins I am sure a proper chamber matters but really how much? I would think the other 24-to 28 inches of the barrel would matter much more. For all that are really interested in winning at RFBR I suggest finding a really good gunsmith that has a excellent understanding of how to build and tune a great rifle. George[/QUOTE said:
George, I've often wondered the same. It would be interesting to see a quantifiable test done with a finished vs unfinished chamber. I doubt there's a significant difference.

TKH, in an earlier post you questioned whether Kevin designed his reamer. I found JGS 22Nevius print but was unable to copy/paste it here. Below there is a comment that says this is a rimless version of the 22 Myers. So technically yes, Kevin did "design" it. Anytime a cartridge rf or cf see ANY change, its considered a new design. I think you knew that though.

I am using a JGS Nevius reamer & have been happy with how the rifle shoots. I wanted a rimless reamer is why I bought it. Had a Calfee 1.5 degree rimless come up for sale I'd have bought it. And yes, I'm chambered deep.
Your idea of what is competitive & mine are likely different. I finished 15th, 2 points & 6x's behind Jason at this years Indoor Nationals & was happy with that.Somehow won a target too.You probably wouldn't have been, had you been there.

Keith

Last edited:
George, I've often wondered the same. It would be interesting to see a quantifiable test done with a finished vs unfinished chamber. I doubt there's a significant difference.

TKH, in an earlier post you questioned whether Kevin designed his reamer. I found JGS 22Nevius print but was unable to copy/paste it here. Below there is a comment that says this is a rimless version of the 22 Myers. So technically yes, Kevin did "design" it. Anytime a cartridge rf or cf see ANY change, its considered a new design. I think you knew that though.

I am using a JGS Nevius reamer & have been happy with how the rifle shoots. I wanted a rimless reamer is why I bought it. Had a Calfee 1.5 degree rimless come up for sale I'd have bought it. And yes, I'm chambered deep.
Your idea of what is competitive & mine are likely different. I finished 15th, 2 points & 6x's behind Jason at this years Indoor Nationals & was happy with that.Somehow won a target too.You probably wouldn't have been, had you been there.

Keith

Keith,

I did not know adding or subtracting a stop on a reamer would make it a "new" design. Wish Kev had mentioned that when I asked him the question.

I do know Calfee has only one reamer that he designed, and it is a 2 degree, straight sided, .225 reamer.

Calfee is well aware that his name is on more than one reamer and is being sold as a "Calfee" reamers.

I'm sure if you ask him, he will tell you.

As for how much difference a chamber makes, and if it is quantifiable? I think it would be hard to prove in any sort of a test.

I do know many shooters that had 52 Winchesters and other target rifles that came from the factory with "as reamed chambers" thought they improved them by finishing them. Either by round count or other means. It was Kevin that referred to the finishing process as the quintessential factor. Perhaps an overstatement.

But in the greater scheme of things as George said the 24-28 inches of barrel may be a bigger factor in accuracy. And of course, that 50 yards/meters in front of that may have a still greater influence on accuracy. There are so many factors I think it is the whole package that makes the difference.

This is a sport that many enjoy for many different reasons. Let's face it, no one is going to get rich shooting RFBR, all we can hope for is to be happy doing what we are doing.

On another note, what do you think of the chambering test Kevin and Jerry are planning?

TKH

Keith,

I did not know adding or subtracting a stop on a reamer would make it a "new" design. Wish Kev had mentioned that when I asked him the question.

I do know Calfee has only one reamer that he designed, and it is a 2 degree, straight sided, .225 reamer.

Calfee is well aware that his name is on more than one reamer and is being sold as a "Calfee" reamers.

I'm sure if you ask him, he will tell you.

As for how much difference a chamber makes, and if it is quantifiable? I think it would be hard to prove in any sort of a test.

I do know many shooters that had 52 Winchesters and other target rifles that came from the factory with "as reamed chambers" thought they improved them by finishing them. Either by round count or other means. It was Kevin that referred to the finishing process as the quintessential factor. Perhaps an overstatement.

But in the greater scheme of things as George said the 24-28 inches of barrel may be a bigger factor in accuracy. And of course, that 50 yards/meters in front of that may have a still greater influence on accuracy. There are so many factors I think it is the whole package that makes the difference.

This is a sport that many enjoy for many different reasons. Let's face it, no one is going to get rich shooting RFBR, all we can hope for is to be happy doing what we are doing.

On another note, what do you think of the chambering test Kevin and Jerry are planning?

TKH

Tony:

In the thread you copied my response from, I referenced a RA thread that originated the discussion. If you read it, I have never made it any secret that I was using the Meyers chamber (not sure why that would have made any difference?). When I asked JGS to make a version without a datum stop, they put my name on it simply out of convenience, I guess. I have made all of this well known.

And I didn't infer that chamber finishing was the quintessential factor, you did. You were very clear in your response (and story regarding Winchester rifles of the day) that chamber finishing was essential - especially if you were serious about winning on the National level. Am I missing something? Quintessential is simply a word to describe the importance you placed on it.

I have posted everything related to this idea many times since 2011, with the origins pretty clearly defined. All it requires is some reading.

kev

Back