Chambering Barrels for a Beginner

bama6ppc

I am curios of the equipment and skills needed as a beginner. I can change barrels and triggers out on my benchrest rifle, so beyond that i would have very little background in this area.

What major pieces of equipment are needed and what is the approximate cost? Any recommended brands or where to get?

How are the skills developed? Can they be developed without formal schooling?

Thanks for any feedback.

I am curios of the equipment and skills needed as a beginner. I can change barrels and triggers out on my benchrest rifle, so beyond that i would have very little background in this area.

What major pieces of equipment are needed and what is the approximate cost? Any recommended brands or where to get?

How are the skills developed? Can they be developed without formal schooling?

Thanks for any feedback.

Equipment wise, first a suitable lathe. Myself and many top benchrest gunsmiths use American made South Bend Heavy 10's. American made South Bends are no longer made so try to find a good used one on some place like eBay, Craigs List, etc or a used machine tool dealer.

There are many threads in the Benchrest Central archives on how to accurately fit a barrel to your action.

One suggestion, if you have that option in your area is to take some Machine Shop Technology courses at a community college in your area.

How is the best of the accepted barrel fitting processes? Just ask and you will be flooded with suggestions. Then you can pick the one you feel comfortable with.

Its an exciting happening to fit a barrel yourself then see it shoot itty-bitty groups.

Getting set up properly can cost as little as about $3,000 for a lathe and tooling and commonly upward to about $7,000. Hunting around and finding a good deal the $3,000 cost can produce great barrels.

I have seen men with no machine shop skills learn to chamber barrels.

What they did have was a general knowledge of how machinery works, how different machined parts in any given piece of equipment work together, and WHY you do things a certain way.

I have a very good friend, and avid shooter, who is in the Air Conditioning Business. He has learned how to do the basic operations involved in barrel fitting by watching me. I explain to him as I go why I am doing this, and the consequences if I don't.

I don't say this often, but do a search. Just in the past moths, we have had several threads concerning the very subject you raise.

Study what you are trying to achieve, and always remember......it is just as important for you to know WHY you do things a certain way as it is to know how to do things.

If you do some looking around you will discover that there are a number of texts on machine tool operation and general machine shop practice. There are also books on barrel fitting. When friend first got his lathe, he started out with a lot of scrap metal, practicing various operations over and over until he was comfortable doing the operations, and had gotten familiar with the machine's controls, and could produce the results that he wanted. He practiced turning, facing, drilling, boring, outside and inside threading, and various methods of securing the work. I think that his approach was a good one. Another friend who only fits a barrel occasionally for himself practices by making a couple of tenons using scrap stock, before starting on a barrel. All of the people that I know, that do barreling are self taught, with the help of friends. There are some specific lathe dimensions that make a lathe easier to do barrel work with. The diameter of the spindle hole, and length of the headstock, and to a lesser extent the length of the bed all can come into play. When looking at used lathes, it is not a bad idea to consider parts availability.

To the OP,

Here is a perspective from a total rookie who is still in the crawl phase in this barreling and machining world. When I retired at age 59 I was happy and content shooting in competition all year round burning up 2 barrels a year, until one day due to some incidents, finished barrels we use are hard come by, 6 months and longer. That was when I decided to go ahead and purchase the machines and learn how to do my own barrels.

October of 2014, I lucked out and found a Bridgeport and a 12x36 Taiwanese lathe that are both accessorized very well as a package. But, as others have said, tooling up used equipment will cost you more than the machine acquisition. A shooter friend from Memphis, a machinist by trade guided me through the initial machining operations and practices, there are no classes I could take in our area, long distance learning from my buddy was all I could do to get started. We started with the inspection, alignment of the machines. I even had to re-align the headstock on the lathe. The first tramming job on the mill was whole day affair. Learned about rigidity, rigidity in everything.

A shooter friend from Louiisana who does his own barrels gave me a shopping list of what other tooling I needed, some I bought new, others I set an alert on Craigslist from Dallas to Houston. I found a few good deals from the latter. For cutting bits I looked for them on eBay

When I started learning about feed, speed, depth of cuts relative to facing, turning, and parting, it was like a practice in patience. I learned that there are rules and there are no rules as to what works and does not, way too many variables. You just have to soldier on. My first dialing job with a 4J took me hours. I was told and read rookies must learn how to grind their cutting bits, I by-passed that, I went straight to indexable cutting tools so I can dive right into cutting metal. It may be the wrong way, that's what I did and still continued to use.

Machine operation training. I started with unkown rusted steel, which provided some kind of revelation and surprises on how different materials cut to achieve good finish. Once I got the basic operation and familiarized with the machinie controls, my next training exercises were to actually cut materials to specific dimensions, I made small brass hammers, and refrigerator magnets for the ladies of the family. These were the very first useable products I rolled out.

Early last year, was when I started to extend the training on barrels, from my years of shooting I accumulated shot out SS AR barrels, these and others donated by friends in high power I have ample stock of good material to train on, Friends have been with me and helping me from the start. When I started chambering training exercises, I seeked the advise of Butch Lambert, who was really very patient with this kid. He explained how his practices were and I followed them to the letter. With my supply of shot out barrels, I was able to cut the tenon, turn, thread, drill/bore, finish and cut off the tenon again and do it all over. I lost count on how many dummy chambering I did before I did my first barrel, a $60 Green Mountain barrel

It was not all that rosey along this journey, had to repair the old lathe a few times. On the first expensive barrel I did for me, Shilen Select Match, I broke and stuck a carbide bit drilling the gas port. When I did the fireforming barrel for my brother's 30 BR, I cut the tenon and threaded it, Butch's fixture would not screw in, cut the tenon again, threaded it again, still the fixture would not screw in. Then I look at the Borden print for the action one more time, I discovered I could not read, it is 18 TPI and whereas I cut the thread at 16, twice. I am sure others have not made that mistake.

OP, get your machines and jump in there with both eyes and ears wide open, and don't be shy to ask others for help.

Sorry for the long winded response.

Last edited:
Nez is a very smart gentleman, mechanically inclined, and patient. He is a High Master shooter and is now building winning AR barrels. Nez, I did the same thing as you did on tenon threads last year. I just couldn't understand why my thread gauges didn't work. Receiver mfg. changed his thread pitch, but I didn't check until it was too late.
Keep up your good work Nez.

Chineist.............????

Good reply Nez...... simple truth is it can be done..... and we all started somewhere ........whether you are a proven machinist or a newbie......willingness to learn is the key....... with god given mechanical aptitude and imagination....
a good mentor really helps......
bill

Back