Chambering and Threading Lathe

What about the single phase turn pro. I still see a few of those in stock. Not sure how the single phase motor would be but it does simplify things.

What about the single phase turn pro. I still see a few of those in stock. Not sure how the single phase motor would be but it does simplify things.

Those are a completely different lathe, couldn't recommend one of those.

I really like the Belt driven lathes over the gearhead. Jet makes a 1340 Belt drive lathe that I like the looks and features of. Don't know that much about them tho. Made in China I'm sure. I should probably just look for me a Old School South Bend Heavy 10 with short bed just to chamber and thread barrels and be done with it.

I started out on a belt drive jet. I chambered some really good shooting barrels with it. I didn't like the fact I couldn't place my tools on top of the gear box as I was always lifting the lid to change speeds. The lathe did but nice threads. Lee

South Bend Heavy 10

I know where there is a VERY NICE south bend heavy 10 with taper attachment 54" bend made in the 80's. I know the lathe is in mint shape and looks like it has less than 100 hour on it all original paint. A machine dealer in Missouri just bought it last week. I have nothing to do with the lathe and don't even know the name of the dealer. But I do know all about the lathe for the past ten years and know that is is VERY NICE. My best guess is that the dealer in going to be asking around $5500.00 only my guess.
If any one is interested can come up with the dealers name and number.
PM me.
Chet

Last edited:
I have found a South Bend Heavy 10 short bed lathe only 2 hours from home and it looks almost new and has a nice 6 jaw set true Chuck. Should be bringing it home Saturday morning.

VFDs have come way down in price.
They used to be large and expensive.
Now small and far lower priced.

A VFD and a good dovetail type tool holder.

My heavy 10 is a 1963 and has a different cabinet. 48" bed completely rebuilt. 3 Phase and VFD it is as good as it gets. It has turned out a national record FTR, and several other top scores in long range prone.

John

I was very lucky to get this lathe. It was already setup to do barreling work and had lots of tooling with it. I gave $3000 for the whole package. 6 jaw set tru Chuck is super nice. I have threaded 3 barrels so far with the Heavy 10. Works very well and cuts nice smooth finishes. I finally found my favorite lathe for Rifle barrel work. Also lathe was only about 2 hours north of me.

I have used several lathes to thread and chamber barrels on. Acer 1340, Enco 12x36 belt drive, Leblond Regal 13 servoshift, Clausing Colchester 15, South Bend Heavy 10 just to name a few I've used in the past. Out of all these lathes the only one I have really felt like made the best Riflesmithing machine was and still is the South Bend Heavy 10!! Awesome machine it is!!!

Super nice SB H10 4 1/2 bed

Here it is the Heavy 10 I have been trying to post. The Lathe is in pristine shape. And is now on Craig's list. I have nothing to do with this lathe but it should be in the hands of a good Home Benchrest style.

Chet.
If anyone has any question about the lathe they can E-mail me at cj white b @ sbc glo bal. net (no spaces)

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/tld/5606011575.html

Back