Chambering and Threading Lathe

Hillbilly

Chance Doane
I have looked at several lathes lately trying to make up my mind to upgrade from my belt driven 12x36 Enco lathe. I don't know what new lathe would be the best over time and for the money. I've looked at Harrison M300, Acer 1340, Precision Matthews 1340GT, Etc. I used Acers in Gun school in 2008. Nice gear head machine. It's hard for me to buy a used lathe that I don't know the history of. Just looking to upgrade sometime but in no hurry.

Just out of curiosity, what do you not like about your Enco that would be worth the cost of an upgrade. What would you be gaining?

An Acer is certainly a higher end machine than what you have now, or just about any Lathe manufactured in Mainland China. But you pay for that quality.

There are so many machines available now that the choice is difficult. But, the reality is, most of these machines are manufactured in any one of four large facilities in China. There is not a lot of difference in any of these so called "contract" lathes, they are all built to satisfy a lower end market, (money wise).

The majority, matched with proper tooling, are completely adequate for general Gunsmith work.

There is a potential problem made that can exist with poorly made, loose tolerance, cheap bearing, gear heads. They can induce chatter due to poorly meshed spur gears.

For several years, as faculty, at our local technical community college, the State, on low bid, bought some gear heads. Chatter was a common problem.

If you buy a gear head, buy one of good quality.

My Enco 12x36 is belt driven and works well chambering and threading. I would not gain anything by upgrading. I'm just looking to get a new machine down the road and wondered what most full time smiths are using these days.

Most full time gunsmiths are using what suit them. "It's the iIndian,, not the arrow". Up grading to a higher end machine will give bragging rights,,,,, and then someone with the bare minimum will come along and "show 'um how it's done".

The new grizzly sold, South bend heavy 10 is a whale of a machine. These little lathes are made in Taiwan and are of high quality. My little heavy 10 cuts better threads than my 3500 pound grizzly gun smithing lathe. Night and day difference!! They really are a nice machine!! Lee

The New South Bend Heavy Ten from Grizzly is a Emco remake. Very nice looking little lathe. German design originally.

Go look up Emco Maximat Super 11 at yahoo or google. This is the design the New Heavy 10 was taken from. Only thing now is its built in Taiwan. The new Lathe is nothing even like an original South Bend 10L.

Here is pictures of both. Biggest difference is name tag and color. I have a friend near by that has a Emco super 11 and I have helped him cut barrels with it and did super nice cutting and threading. And I also have seen the New Grizzly made Heavy 10 South Bend. Very little differences.
Chet

SB h10.jpg

Emco S11.jpg

Last edited:
Either machine looks like it would be a great little lathe. Only thing that I see is Grizzlys $7500 price tag is steep for that size lathe. If I was going to pay that much for a new lathe I would go with Acer 1340 Gearhead made in Taiwan.

I never said it was a copy it was inspired by it. Ive only seen the grizzly in the store and own a south bend so i know theyre not the same.

Yes the new southbend is an Emco style lathe. I think someone told me Dwight Scott uses an Emco?? The new Heavy 10 from Grizzly is a super high quality machine, it truly is. The Build in VFD is a super cool feature. My little machine runs and cuts like a dream. Big difference between this little machine and my 3500# grizzly 509G . Big difference!!
Jerry is correct. the new SB isn't anything like the Old SB but that doesn't mean it isn't a good machine. A little pricy I will agree. Lee

Another little lathe that caught my interest is the turn pro sold by enco. Enco is all the time offering 20 to 30 percent off coupons. With the coupon that makes these lathes pretty affordable. These lathes are supposed to be Taiwanese made to. Lee

Another little lathe that caught my interest is the turn pro sold by enco. Enco is all the time offering 20 to 30 percent off coupons. With the coupon that makes these lathes pretty affordable. These lathes are supposed to be Taiwanese made to. Lee

The specific lathe that Skeet mentioned is the Enco Turn Pro 13x40 which is actually a Lux Matter lathe rebadged by Enco as their high end lathe. Here is the link… http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGE=537&PMITEM=111-3115 . I have had one of these for a few years and can confirm that it is a Taiwan built lathe and can definitely recommend it. Great little lathe, smooth and accurate and well finished. Cuts a pretty thread. Unfortunately looks like they have discontinued handling this lathe. I bought mine on one of their 30% off plus free shipping deals they occasionally have and that makes it quite a bargain. (they also have gone up $1000 since I bought mine) This lathe has been around for quite a while often rebadged so they may still be available somewhere. Here is the Lux Matter site…http://www.combitech.com.tw/luxmatter/lux1340g.htm .

Back