Chamber Cleaning Rod?

E

Escbowhunt

Do you use your long bore cleaning rod/rods to short stroke clean the bore or do you have a short rod for this? I am going to give an Ivy rod a try and thinking do I need to order like a 24in rod for chamber cleaning? And I see he offers a larger handle? Do you all get the larger handle? What do you all keep your nice rods in? Just getting things together and need to ask these maybe dumb questions.
Theron

A quick way to clean a chamber is a rod suitable for .22 Free Pistol and an old brass brush that can be pulled back while in the bore - Just inspect the chamber lead area with a bore scope after a 60 shot match with a bore scope - you will notice carbon and deposits forming at the top of the lead area - 4 strokes with the brush will remove it - even during during a match or in vice testing and the shots start to open up on the target, a brushing will never hurt the group - more than likely tighten it up - when breaking in a new barrel, this is very important to do this after every 10 shots so the lead area is fire formed and uniformly heat treated and surface hardened - a bore scope reveals this.
Just some observations from developing a more accurate .22

I am not wanting to know how to clean a chamber. Just want to know if a comp rimfire BR shooter uses a shorter rod for the chamber and about storage. About all I see is the Dewey rod holders so is that it?

Some do, but you see few in RF. Storage is usually in the case or a toolbox. They're normally no longer than 15" or so. Personally, I wouldn't use one.

I use a long rod, give a number of short strokes to the chamber and then push it out the muzzle.

Why would anyone use a brush, using little short strokes at the leade of the chamber, then push all that crud completely through the bore? I know if I cared anything about my rifle's bore I most certainly would never do that. Of course, that's just me.

I would never push a brush through the bore. I would pull the brush from the muzzle, then there is no chance of damaging the bore and the crud from the leade is pulled back out through the chamber, not pushed through the bore to scratch the heck out of it.

Thanks all I think for now I will see how a new Dewey rod works out with a Lucas bore guide I had made. There is a lot to learn.

I would pull the brush from the muzzle, then there is no chance of damaging the bore and the crud from the leade is pulled back out through the chamber…
That must be some pretty sophisticated cleaning equipment… if it allows pulling from the muzzle (cleaning the bore) AND from the receiver (cleaning the leade) at the same time. :confused:

Brownell's has a nice 18" brass rod with a loop on the end that works nicely for chamber cleaning, and it is inexpensive. Would recommend that you use a nylon 6mm brush for this instead of the bronze brush. Good luck.

I use pvc pipe. Glue a pipe cap on one end and a threaded adapter on the other end so you can use a screw on cap on it. Cut two round discs of dense foam rubber. Push one down the pipe into the glued on cap and put the other one in the screw on cap.

p.s. Don't screw the cap on very tight, for some reason the cap gets really tight and near impossible to unscrew.

I would never push a brush through the bore. I would pull the brush from the muzzle, then there is no chance of damaging the bore and the crud from the leade is pulled back out through the chamber, not pushed through the bore to scratch the heck out of it.

Beau, I have always felt that a cleaning rod probably hits the bore in the cleaning process. Maybe not every time but sometimes, even with a good bore guide. Tolerances are just too close! However I thought that was the approved method of cleaning. If you wanted a clean barrel thats how you took care of the problem, so I carried on. Talked with flykiller the other evening and he mentioned the pull back method. Now that brings me to the reason we pushed the brush through the bore. Many shooters after pushing a brush through recommended unscrewing the brush before pulling it back through to protect the crown. I completely understand your comments about pushing crud down the bore. It really makes me question things when I push a patch through the bore and feel the primer grit at the other end. Knowing full well this grit filled patch on a tight fitting jag just got a free ride down my barrel. Is this pull technique you're talking new? and kind of a lesser of two evils? Am I reading your post correctly? Thanks :confused:

I don't think it's new. Personally, I would never use a brush before I started that method, but let me tell you why I do it.

When I spent two days with Bill Calfee as he built my Turbo, I asked him his opinion of the best cleaning method. I got a surprise by his answer, but after him explaining it to me it makes sense.

He told me to never, I repeat never "push" a brush through the bore of my new rifle. Most bore damage by cleaning is when a brush is pushed through the bore.

Bill said to remember this: only a new brush will clean. And a new brush is extremely difficult to push through a bore. If you can easily push a brush through your bore, he said it ain't doing nothing.

Bill told me what others do is their business but he wants the bores of his rifles protected.

Bill told me to only use new 22 cal. centerfire rifle brushes. He said to keep track of the number of passes with the brush and after 12-15 passes to throw the brush away. He said a new brush pulled through the bore one pass will clean the leade of combustion/lead, if it's not allowed to build up excessively, and the crud will not be pushed through the bore. Try this and use a loupe to look at the brush when it's new and after 12-15 passes. You will see it has very little cutting power left.

As far a hurting the crown by pulling the brush back through it, he said to put the rod, sans brush through the bore, screw on the brush, add solvent, then gently bring the brush back to the crown, allow the brush to center up in the crown. slowly, then come on back with it. No one is going to hurt their crown if reasonably carefull.

Bill said he's had to replace several damaged barrels through improper cleaning and a bunch of them, after discussing in detail with the customer, was when a brush was pushed through the bore.

That's what I do. It works for me. I don't want to start a war on cleaning and refuse to engage in an argument over it. If others want to clean their rifles with a power drill, the rifles belong to them.

That must be some pretty sophisticated cleaning equipment… if it allows pulling from the muzzle (cleaning the bore) AND from the receiver (cleaning the leade) at the same time. :confused:

Yeah, it's sophisticated. It goes all the way through. Duh!!

When cleaning my Marlin auto loader I use a .22 pistol size brush, its shorter than rifle length and meant for use with revolvers where cleaning from the breech end normally isn't possible.
Since the Marlin auto loader actions, at least the most common type, doesn't allow easy acess to the breech even it the action is stripped, I put the brush in the locked open action with threads forwards then ease the cleaning rod in and screw it onto the brush, then pull forwards. Same with the loop and patch.

Rifles with an easy to remove bolt can be cleaned from the breech, and if you still want to pull the rod through you can use regular rifle brushes with these.

The Marlin auto's receiver, internals, and bolt can become very fouled by anything that gets pulled back into the receiver. Stripping for detail cleaning is laborous to say the least, with tiny locking rings that are easily bent or lost, so the less fouling thats pulled or pushed back towards the action the better. This reduces wear from grit as well.

The old style pull through cords could badly damage rifling, through grit that became embedded in the cord wearing down the lands. I've seen old military rifles whose muzzle was worn to an oval by heavy handed the use of pull throughs.
Pulling a rod through isn't as likely to cause such damage, so long as reasonable care is taken. The surface of the rod should be wiped at each pass of course.

Pulling a rod rather than pushing it prevents it from bowing up in the middle, and takes pressure off the bearings allowing it to more freely turn with the rifling. Less chance of wear to the edges and sides of the lands.

Over cleaning probably causes more damage than under cleaning, at least since corrosive priming became a thing of the past.

chamber cleaning rod

look down your barrel after a few shots in a match, its full of crud.what do you think the next 30 shots are doing? your right pushing it down the bore.i doubt pushing a wet patch down the barrel to lube and clean then brush if needed will hurt as long as you use abore guide and a little common sense

But why take the chance. I don't think anybody is saying not to use a patch, wet or dry, to push crud through the bore, but you don't need a brush for that anyway. You only need a brush to get rid of the carbon ring. That's what you don't want to push down the barrel. One pull back, it's gone, no damage and it's clean.

Back