CED M2 Chronograph Question?

D

Dave Shattuck

I have been involved with BR shooting for 21 years starting with IR 50/50 Rimfire, then moving on to USARBR Airgun Benchrest. One thing about Airguns is, using a Chronograph is essential in order to maintain consistency! Kind of similar to adjusting powder charges for Centerfire.

I decided on the CED M2 because it gave me the option of using both battery powered Infrared Screens along with regular Sky Screens as most of my practicing is done in an old dairy barn which has no power available, but sometimes I'll move outside, so like using the Sky Screens when doing so.

Now for the problem. The set-up is designed to be plugged into the USB port on a PC after each session in order to download all your stored data, but offers no printer. The trouble is: I'm an Apple fanatic and don't own a PC, and am not about to buy one simply to solve this problem.

So my question to you is: does anyone know of another brand of printer that could be plugged into my CED M2, similar to the way one of the other chronographs printers plug in - and work shot to shot?

I'm getting wicked tired of stopping after each shot to make note of the F/S reading for that shot.

Thanks for your help.

Dave Shattuck

Labradar

I have the same setup as you do with the infrared screens and all the many wires. Never tried printing, but found it very finicky with airgun. Bought the whole labrador setup for airgun and have not touched the CED unit since. I know it is expensive, but it sits right on your bench and you can put in a memory card.

Dana

Thanks for the response.

I'll have to look into that as I agree with the finickyness of the CED. Always having to adjust the positioning as one or both of the sensors are usually "just enough" out of line resulting in an ER reading, which freezes the following shots until corrected.

Thanks again.

Dave

After looking at the Labradar I guess I'll stick with what I've got.

I don't want to sound cheap or anything, but at $560 for the base unit, then add another $45.00 for the Airgun Trigger Adaptor Unit, and another $40 for the Base Plate. And let's not forget about the Padded Carrying Case for another $40.00. Plus the cost of the SD Card? I could go out and buy a 2 job specific PC's for that kind of money just to be able to run the rusults through a computer? I don't think so.

Guess I can stand the inconvenience for a while longer. Or, maybe someday the fine folks out at Competetive Edge will hear my plea and create a program for the Mac's. Either that, or maybe the Apple people will create software so it doesn't matter. Ya, like those are gonna happen.

Thanks again, and I'll keep an ear to the ground for awhile longer.

Dave

I thought macs came with a windows virtual machine now so that you can install PC apps and run them.

I thought macs came with a windows virtual machine now so that you can install PC apps and run them.

I sure hope so and will check into that. All I know is, whenever I've tried to download the CED program it won't happen due to my end being a Mac. Maybe it's a simple answer after all, not to mention saving a noticeable amount of cash.

Thanks you very much.

Dave

My daughter bought a Mac notebook several years ago and it came with windows (I think XP) in a virtual machine. She bought it because it was the cool thing to be a Mac person with her peers. Most times now, she uses it in Windows VM mode because of the apps that she wants to use aren't available for mac. Same kind of issue you are having.

In 2002 I had bought one of the first iMac's, the ones that looked like half a soccerball. For not much extra money it came with an older version of Windows including Excel and the rest already installed, but on this newer one we got in 2012 didn't. And, of course, stupid me, when we went into our local Apple Store they strongly suggested that rather than buying the Windows program, we download/buy the Apple equivalent, their Pages program, as it was a lot less money and, according to them, did the same thing. That's fine for doing documents, but that's where it's benefit stops. It didn't take long before realizing it was not a do-all fix.

After what you had said I got to looking at the CED site and learned that they now offer a program for Mac's, you just need to have what's called Stuffit Expander 5.0 in order to open it. My old compute had Stuffit, so I presume this one must as well. I just can't figure out how to check if it does, or does not have Stuffit Expander 5.0 so will ask at the Apple Store over the weekend.

I'm just hoping all I need to do is to open some App., then take it from there. I've already downloaded the CED program onto my desktop and awaiting the answer as by opening the download doesn't automatically bring it up.

Thanks again for your help. If nothing else, you at least got me to looking in the right direction.

Dave

likely find a used pc lap top cheap for your needs on Craig's List.

I do not buy new computers- in my shop they only last a year or so ( grinding dust gets everywhere, filters not with standing) last purchase was a lap top and a box for the desk with win 7 on them $125 for the pair little over a year ago. ( not interested in win 10)

Just a thought.

...now for the problem. The set-up is designed to be plugged into the USB port on a PC after each session in order to download all your stored data, but offers no printer. The trouble is: I'm an Apple fanatic and don't own a PC, and am not about to buy one simply to solve this problem.

So my question to you is: does anyone know of another brand of printer that could be plugged into my CED M2, similar to the way one of the other chronographs printers plug in - and work shot to shot?

Can't help you with your specific question, but have you tried simply plugging the box into the USB port on your Mac? It might simply mount as a volume that will have the data (hiding?) somewhere on it.

Thanks Wilbur and blades. The Stuffit software was what I found too, but haven't fiddled with it yet.

And rwnoel, I haven't tried your suggestion, but should as something may be hidden in there somewhere.

We'll get it figured out eventually, I'm sure.

Thanks,

Dave

Try emailing CED they do reply in a day or so and can be helpful.

Cant help with MACs only use Win's XP, XP64, Win 7 64 and 32. Had the M2 IR 8 years used pretty much every other day indoors, wont read accurate outdoors in uncontrolled conditions like all others. Point making is around 8 months ago for the first time plugged base unit in to WIN7 32 latest software loaded supplied USB cable, it packed up totally dead and had to get a new base unit from NL back in June.

Failure to register a shot is usually a lighting issue when in line or in my case swarf and dust over the two sensors. Without the IR 1 in around 30 would register a speed irrelevant of actual, with the IR indoors it has worked in pitch black and gives same readings, others don't. Have short video of CED M2 IR and a Caldwell IR in between that failed to read constantly.

Back