"CBT head trimming tool"

Hi Carlb:

I've seen photo's of test groups of the gizmo modified bullets fired from rifles mounted in machine rests. In all cases the groups tighten but the amount of improvement varied depending on the quality of the original ammo used. The photo's had no reference scale, but my guess is that improvement varied between 2 to 5 mm.

I saw little utility in the gizmo for benchrest shooters, but I did see value for the prone and 3P smallbore shooter as to practice ammo. My problem with the EPS bullet profile is that there is no cheap practice alternative other than Team.

What do you think?

Junior Shooters

Hi Tom:

If a person could afford a $6,000 rifle and spend $3,000 in ammo then they don't need the gizmo.

But if you read my prior posts, I mentioned junior shooters. I have not met a single kid, between the ages of 10 through 21, that owns or has access to a $6,000 rifle or has an extra $3,000 to spend on ammo.

For 11 months a year, I spend at least one day a week with junior shooters. I don't understand why the gizmo was marketed to the European benchrest community, but it was. If the gizmo works, then it has utility for shooters on a limited budget.

What I'd give to have a memory. But I do remember reading an article,, I believe it was by the gentleman from New Mexico who now lives in Texas who did a lot of rimfire testing in a tunnel. Maybe some one can put a name to him. Anyhow somebody told him they had made a device that trimmed the nose off the bullet and accuracy was improoved. He was scepticle and the guy sent him the device and he tested it. If I remember right his test showed it did work. I'll see if I can find it later today. The NRA would allow such ammo the way I read the rule:
3.17Ammunition - Rimfire cartridges commercially catalogued as the “.22 Short, “.22 Long, or “.22 Long Rifle which have an over-all length not more than 1.1 inches and loaded with a lead or alloy bullet of not larger than .23
inch diameter. Hollow point, tracer, incendiary or explosive bullets are specifically excluded from ammunition authorized for match use.

I do think a muzzle tuner would be more economical. Cost less than this device (for one shooter) and has proven itself. also some lower cost ammo can be improved by weighing into groups. Neither of these though will make cheap ammo shoot like the good stuff, just improve it a bit and reduce some flyers, great for practice.

In bennchrest it has always been a good idea to practice with what you shoot in a match. Can't learn exactly how the wind effects your gun and how to read windflags using substandard ammo. But for your purposes a lesser ammo might work fine. Are these kids shooting indoors at 50 foot or ourdoors at 50 yds/meters?

Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Tim:

The idea of using this kind of gizmo is to allow for more cost effective practice for shooters who use one of the Eley EPS bullet products. I'd just like to learn more about the gizmo's utility.

I never thought of muzzle tuners. I need to check NRA/ISSF rules to see what they say about the subject.

As to the range that the juniors shoot, most shoot 50 feet in the winter. 50 yards in the spring/summer and at Camp Perry. About 5 kids also shoot ISSF events which are 50 meter events.

At 50 feet, it is generally difficult to see any real difference in ammo for the average kid. Beginners use CMP ammo or Winchester T-22. More serious shooters use SK, RWS Target, Wolf Match.

Eley has a good following in competition but not in practice due to cost. Likewise for Lapua. Its current prices scares off even the most serious competitor.

From what I know, the tuner deal is not likely legal. You should also probably realize that most of the folks that compete in registered matches and check in here do so where the level of competition is fairly high and they are either shooting all the time or practicing with the same high grade stuff they shoot matches with. It has long been understood, unfortunately, there is just no substitute for the best possible ammo you can possibly get your hands on, especially outside at 50 yds/mtrs. The higher grade stuff is better for many reasons, priming, bullet consistancy, crimp, lube, coicentricity, you just simply cannot point to the flat bullet as a single measurable factor. We, in this country have probably the best smiths, largest number of BR shooters, biggest number of purpose built BR guns. If it was an improvement you would see them around.

Back